What's new

Shaving With Olive Oil

I just read an article about shaving with olive oil and was wondering if any of you have tried it. The benefits of olive oil for the skin are pretty well known and I'm curious as to how true this for the more sensitive skin of the face. And, of course, how effective it is for actually shaving.

I use a homemade preshave oil that has Almond oil in it, which is a carrier oil and can be substituted with olive oil. I've never used olive oil or only shaved with oil.

I am growing more and more tempted to try it. I do like the shave/brush experience, but I am also apt for trying new things that sound interesting.

If the guys from Portland Razor Company do it, there must be something to it:
"Honestly, we often shave with just hot water and olive oil, and we can get away with forgoing shaving cream and other products because our blades are sharp, our stropping technique is on point, and our shave technique is smooth and consistent."

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how I feel about that article, but I do remember a couple threads before this one on shaving with olive oil. Personally, I'd use a blend of avocado, mango, and olive oil, but that's me...and I haven't actually tried it.

Olive oil works as well for me as any other shave oil I've used (admittedly only AoS). Frankly, and I know there has been some discussion on this, I am not sure that shave oils really add anything. Lately I've been using conditioner as I would a shave oil, and that really does amp up slickness and post shave feel.

I've never shaved with olive oil but I do shave with a shaving oil once or twice a week just for a different experience. Like most things it's not for everyone but I enjoy the difference from soaps and creams. I would recommend that if you do decide to shave with olive oil I would make sure that it's an organic extra virgin version that is unrefined without additives.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil).
I use it from time to time to remember ancient times.
It is necessary to use it a week to get accustomed to the skin.
Wet the face thoroughly, use 4/5 drops, and spread well.

I tried the Art of Shaving pre shave oil (a gift from my wife) and found it to be of not much use. It left my skin gummy and grippy during the shaves. While I haven't tried it, I don't see olive oil being much better in my opinion.

So I tried it out tonight. It pretty much went how I thought it would. The EVOO and water was not particularly slick, but it was protective. Protection is something no lather I've ever used has had. With normal soap lather, there is either slickness or there is residual sickness. With the Evoo, you can run the blade across your skin as much as you'd like to without much damage. Overall shave was DFS.

The shave was with California Evoo and a Hart Steel razor honed with a stone of unknown finishing quality, the ultimate stress test.

Whiskers in oil wiped off the blade.
proxy.php

I know Ancient Romans used Olive oil for hygienic purposes. Often bathing in it. I shaved with it once and found that it did a pretty good job. It won't replace my Sudsy Soapery, PannaCrema, or CRSW that I love so much, but it does a pretty good job. What I do not like about it is that it leaves that oily film in my sink that I have to scrub out afterwards and that heavy feeling that it leaves my face feeling. But for all intents and purposes...it works.

Last edited:
Hi,

This reminds me of a thread a few years back where we were discussing using various greases.....

I decided on John Deere Corn Head grease. But of course not seriously. I will stick to my own blend of Glycerine and Tallow soaps.

Stan

:)

I know Ancient Romans used Olive oil for hygienic purposes. Often bathing in it. I shaved with it once and found that it did a pretty good job. It won't replace my Sudsy Soapery, PannaCrema, or CRSW that I love so much, but it does a pretty good job. What I do not like about it is that it leaves that oily film in my sink that I have to scrub out afterwards and that heavy feeling that it leaves my face feeling. But for all intents and purposes...it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup...I completely buggered that one. And I know better. Thanks for calling me out. I sometimes slip and revert to unexcepted usage. And the worse part...I have an English degree.

Whatever works for you is just fine! I have not found much advantage from pre-shave oils and I also have not had good results with soaps where olive oil is listed as one of the first ingredients. So this is not for me!

I just read an article about shaving with olive oil and was wondering if any of you have tried it. The benefits of olive oil for the skin are pretty well known and I'm curious as to how true this for the more sensitive skin of the face. And, of course, how effective it is for actually shaving.

Years ago, I experimented with shaving with oil instead of soap.
I found olive oil not particularly suitable (too thick), but some thinner (e.g. massage) oils produced acceptable results.

It was, however, an experiment that did not last, as results fell short of shaving with water and soap.

B.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
1. It can be done.

2. See if your local water utility has a FOG (fats, oils and greases) educational program. Your not even supposed to put milk down a drain, due to the pipe-lining fat it contains.

AA

Top Bottom