What's new

Shaving with non dominant hand

Somebody said to me on here that it was important to learn to use both hands, so it’s something I’ve been doing since I started straight shaving a month ago. I usually do each side with each hand on the first pass then use whichever hand gets the angle I want on the second pass.

With a Straight, I learn to use both hands as it helps to get everywhere as best as possible. When I was a teen I learned to use all other types of razors but only with my dominant hand (left). It's a bummer for me as I just had surgery on my right shoulder and right hand so I can only use one hand. So no straights for me for a few months. At least I have 10 years worth of blades in stock.

Once you get used to shaving with both hands, you will wonder why you ever thought it was hard.

Then you will try to do some other thing with your non-dominant hand, and you will remember.

Because of this thread, I have started using my non-dominant hand (left) to shave one side of my face. Not easy. Sometimes I have to use my right hand to position the razor (DE) in my left hand. I am determined to be able to do this.

I remember using the hand not holding the razor to hold my elbow. After a little while it will become more natural - until you look in the mirror and think too hard :).

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I actually prefer to shave with a razor rather than my hand. Although, now that I think about it, I do not remember ever getting a nick or weeper using the latter.

No need to get up .... I'll see myself out :letterk1:
200w.gif

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Because of this thread, I have started using my non-dominant hand (left) to shave one side of my face. Not easy. Sometimes I have to use my right hand to position the razor (DE) in my left hand. I am determined to be able to do this.
I went through the same a couple of weeks ago after over 800 SR shaves with my dominant hand. I now still need to force myself to use my non-dominant hand (left) to shave N-S on the left side of the face. It is improving but slowly.

Tomorrow might be a challenge as I will be shaving with a shavette and half DE Feather blade.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After a few weeks of daily SR shaving including my non-dominant hand, this morning I decided to give it a go using a shavette fitted with half Feather DE blade.

All went well, except:

IMG_20220319_092346.jpg

Looks like my non-dominant hand needs some more training.

I have decided to use my non dominant hand for a month, it should be good for the brain, additional stimulation or something.
First problem was face lathering, it was terible, lather just didn't want to leave the brush (Simpson T3), that never happend with my right arm.
One of the worst lathering in my life, worse than first time.
Shave was wierd, I used EJDE89 and permasharp blade (day5). Like it was not my hand, grip was ackward, and the feeling was just soo strage.
I did 2 pass WTG and ATG, there were noo weepers or blood, smooth shave at the end, not BBS as I missed some small areas here and there, but I didn' doo a clean up, as I want to memorise those areas for tomorow, to pay more attention to them.
I have a feeling like half of the shave I was actually moving my face around the razor than my razor around my face.

I read where using your non dominant hand does help your brain. When I was learning how to use a SR, I found that using my stupid right hand forced me to pay 100% attention to what I was doing and ended up with a better shave on the right side of my face. After a while, it became comfortable to use either hand.

Top Bottom