What's new

Shaving with non dominant hand

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have a pinched nerve in my neck on my dominant side. Trying to shave with my opposite hand is nigh on impossible due to a lack of practice.
I am afraid there will be blood letting.
Maybe folks should shave with the non dominant hand occasionally just for this eventuality, I never thought about it.

I switch to my non-dominant hand for the furtherst reaches of my neck under my right ear; it allows me to keep a better angle without contortions.

I suppose I could try with safety razors. It might be mind expanding.

Just the thought of my non-dominant hand holding an SR daunts me.

A) cuts
B) dropped/damaged razor

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I use straight razors and half of my shave requires my off hand not was difficult at first but after a couple of weeks became normal. Just keep at and it will present no problem.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I suppose I could try with safety razors. It might be mind expanding.

Just the thought of my non-dominant hand holding an SR daunts me.

A) cuts
B) dropped/damaged razor
It isn’t as difficult as it might seem. Just go at it a bit at a time and the muscle memory will develop. I’ve never cut myself or dropped razor. One side of my face is better than the other on the first pass but with ATG on the second pass (after switching hands) it equals out to a good clean shave. I believe, when I used a DE, I only used my left, dominate, hand to shave but it has been a few years and I don’t know if I’m remembering that correctly.

I shave with a variety of straight razors, DE razors, and SE razors. When shaving with DE and SE safety razors, I tend to shave using my dominant hand. When shaving with straight razors, I have found it easier to shave with both hands. When shaving WTG on my right side, I use my right hand to hold the razor and my left hand to stretch the skin. When shaving WTG on my left side, I switch hands. When shaving XTG and ATG I find it easier to shave with the opposite hand using reversed grip. Thus, I shave the right side of my face using the left hand and the left side of my face using my right hand. It does take some practice before you can do this confidently.

If your pinched nerve is such that you have difficulty shaving with your dominant hand, you can always use a modern razor with a pivoting head. Although I am not a proponent of modern shaving systems, there are certain situations in which their use is warranted. You might be in such a situation.

It isn’t as difficult as it might seem.

I am agreeing with @ylekot . Be prepared!

I read the detailed @RayClem hand-switching protocol with interest.

Here's my hypothetical program:

>Start using my safety razors non-dominant, for full face and for neck cleanup on SR shaves.
>Pick out my most 'disposable' SR.
>Go back to newbie mode on both sides with the disposable, cheek only.
>See how it goes...

I shave with a variety of straight razors, DE razors, and SE razors. When shaving with DE and SE safety razors, I tend to shave using my dominant hand. When shaving with straight razors, I have found it easier to shave with both hands.

Same here, except that I don’t use any SE razors with safety razor blades.
For the occasional shave with my Feather Artist Clubs I use alternate hands just as with my straights.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. ;)
(Yogi Berra)

B.

I believe, when I used a DE, I only used my left, dominate, hand to shave but it has been a few years and I don’t know if I’m remembering that correctly.

I suspect that left-handers might have an advantage on this. Many tools which are obviously "handed" (e,g, scissors) are set up for right-handers, so lefties have to use their off-hand to use them. So they get more practice using their off-hand.

One of my best friends is a lefty, and one day I picked up his scissors to cut some film. He warned me they wouldn't work for me and then did a double take when they worked perfectly.

Then he realized I had picked them up with my left hand. :biggrin:

I suspect that left-handers might have an advantage on this. Many tools which are obviously "handed" (e,g, scissors) are set up for right-handers, so lefties have to use their off-hand to use them. So they get more practice using their off-hand.

One of my best friends is a lefty, and one day I picked up his scissors to cut some film. He warned me they wouldn't work for me and then did a double take when they worked perfectly.

Many things we do require use of both hands. Typing on a keyboard requires both hands as does playing a piano. When playing a stringed instrument, one hand fingers the notes while the other picks, strums plucks or bows the strings. Both actions are intricate. Playing the drums requires similar use of each hand. Playing woodwinds requires both hands.

Brass instruments, however, tend to be designed for the dominant hand. All brass instruments are right-handed with the exception of the French horn which is left-handed., go figure.

Although I do many things with both hands, I do admit to having a dominant hand, in my case it is the right. I cannot imagine trying to do something like painting wallboard trim with my left hand.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I did it!

This morning I first checked with the local hospital. They had a spare bed in ICU in case I needed it.

I started my SR shave with my dominant (right) hand as usual, WTG on my right cheek. Then, for the first time, I shaved WTG on my left cheek using my left hand. It worked! No blood.

I then completed my shave with my dominant hand only. ICU was not needed.

From now on, I will endeavour to extend the use of my non-dominant hand with each shave. This may even work.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

There is some truth to left handers
being more adaptive for obvious reasons living in a righ handed world but we still have a lot of trouble with it - some more than others. I am very left handed unfortunately. Shaving with my right hand is one of the easier tasks. Scissors are terrible. I swing things, bats and golf clubs right handed and am right footed as well. This is said to be the the most screwed up brain wiring possible. I have read that we had a great advantage in sword fighting though. I expect that may be the reason we still represent 10% of the population. Left handed soldiers have a higher mortality than right handed soldiers as well.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I like both my ears so I'll just keep shaving with my right hand for when I use half DE shavettes or my safety razors 😉

I've always used both hands to shave, brush my teeth, lock and unlock doors etc. I'd say I'm probably 55 to 60% right hand dominant though.

Shaving with either hand is possible but it takes practice to build muscle memory. I'd also recommend using your non dominant hand for minor tasks such as drinking your coffee, opening doors to get your brain used to controlling your off hand.

@RayClem, I cannot strum guitar with my left hand, but can make chord shapes with my right. I can play bass left or right though. Strumming is just too awkward.

Top Bottom