What's new

Shaving with Japanese folding kamisori

Hi All,
I've got a Micor 3000 Japanese folding kamisori straight razor in the mail after an impulse buy.

How does one shave with an asymmetrical grind? Same as a traditional straight razor (right hand for right side and left hand for left side), or like a traditional kamisori (one hand for both sides)?

Secondly, can I use a Naniwa 8k and 12k SS to hone/refresh this razor? Any tips on honing and stropping this samurai?

I've attached photos of the razor and the grind.

TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_6509_1100x.jpg
    IMG_6509_1100x.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 19
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Nice! I am fond of that kind of razor, because I like engineering that makes oddball combinations work. And asymmetrical with scales is definitely oddball.

I shave mostly with kamisoris, and I entirely ignore the asymmetrical aspect. They seem to shave fine on both sides. I don't even notice a difference.

As for honing, I respect the rule of 10 strokes on the face side to 3 on the other (some would use different numbers) when bevel-setting, and ignore it utterly when I get to the higher grits, where I have found it essential to give both sides equal attention in order to get the fine scratches uniformly all the way to the bevel.

I also ignore the rule if the razor requires it, needing repairs or adjustments on the hard side bevel.

Nice! I am fond of that kind of razor, because I like engineering that makes oddball combinations work. And asymmetrical with scales is definitely oddball.

I shave mostly with kamisoris, and I entirely ignore the asymmetrical aspect. They seem to shave fine on both sides. I don't even notice a difference.

As for honing, I respect the rule of 10 strokes on the face side to 3 on the other (some would use different numbers) when bevel-setting, and ignore it utterly when I get to the higher grits, where I have found it essential to give both sides equal attention in order to get the fine scratches uniformly all the way to the bevel.

I also ignore the rule if the razor requires it, needing repairs or adjustments on the hard side bevel.
Thanks for the tips. What stones do you use to hone your kamisoris?

Thanks for the tips. What stones do you use to hone your kamisoris?
Using stones is my primary hobby in this area, so that would be a long and variable story, and probably not one that's most efficient, nor optimally cost effective.

But skipping the JNats, a typical synthetic sequence for me, for a razor of any kind needing bevel-set is:

Shapton Glass 1000
Shapton Glass 3000
Shapton Glass 8000 HC
Suehiro Gokumyo 20K

A cheaper alternative would be to get it properly honed by someone that knows how to do it right the first time(Doc226). Then just get the 12k to refresh it.

I would highly suggest the Gok 20k as stated above as it is the best high grit synthetic available IMHO. 8k naniwa and Gok 20k work very well together as well. If you are on it the 20k is all you will need.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Usually I raise the spine off my face a little more on one side than the other. Just do it by feel.

Top Bottom