What's new

Shaving with Cremo

Just wondering—since the directions on the product are a little vague to me. Do you guys reapply additional goo for a second pass? I’ve been using it for a year or so on and off, but recently started doing both passes with a single application. The first pass is nice and the second is OK too…just different. I just rub in a little water to get it slick again.

FWIW and IMO its a great product. For minimalists or a guy in a hurry, who are looking for a quick path to BBS, this stuff eliminates the need for a brush and the entire lathering process.

I'm still new to this, going from canned gel to VDH and now Cremo over the past 4 months. I've been applying a small amount for second and third passes, but just like a pea-size dab, I apply an almond-size dollop for the first pass.

It's slick, and better than the other 2 products I've used for sure. But it sometimes dries and I have to reapply water before the end of a pass. I'm going to move on to a brush and soap or cream though, see if that works any better for me. It sounds like face lathering a shave stick or "normal" cream is pretty quick, and it takes me time to spread that little bit of Cremo around my whole face.

Although Cremo can be applied brushless, it becomes incredibly slick when mixed with water. Thus, I always lather it using a shaving brush. You can lather it either in a bowl or mug or on your face. The brush should hold sufficient lather to reapply it for subsequent passes.

If you do not have a shaving brush, I suggest purchasing an inexpensive synthetic or boar brush. Although you can find some inexpensive badger brushes, I do not recommend them as they are usually small in diameter, lack density, and use lower grades of badger hair. A synthetic shaving brush I highly recommend is the Alexander Simpson Trafalgar brush. It comes in three sizes. I have both the T2 and T3, but prefer the T3.

A boar brush that I recommend is the Omega Professional series. I have a 10098, but there are others brushes with similar knots but different handles. The disadvantage of boar brushes is that it can take a while to break them in unless you use one of the quick-break-in methods.

When I do a quick Cremo shave, I use approximately an almond sized amount and I get enough "light lather" where I can just use what's left on my hand for a second pass. I've found it helps to use warm/hot water, and a lot of it. Nothing wrong with using some more cream if you need to, though.

Depends on whether or not you keep it on your hand. After shaving and rinsing, you should always reapply the lather whether it’s a gel, foam, oil, soap, cream, liquid, lather from a bowl/brush etc. If you rinse your hand after applying you’ll have to use extra and reapply, if you don’t just re-rub it onto your face. Shaving with nothing on your face isn’t a good idea imo.

If it's two passes, I typically just push the first application for a second pass. If it's a third pass, normally I'd add a smidge to my hand and hydrate it for a better pass.

As noted above, I normally keep some on my left hand (I hold my razor with the right hand), and reapply as I go over areas for touchups or before shaving an area in the second or third pass.

Great input guys, thanks.

FWIW, I shaved for many years with brushes and soap, usually a Duke or an old boar brush, with Tabac or MWF. Will keep trying different combos of style around Cremo per the posts above.

FWIW this is another of those YMMV things. There is no one right answer for everyone. You have to find what works for you. In my case I don't care much for Chremo as a stand alone product. However, I do like it as a preshave or as part of an uber lather.

I find that just using what I have on my hand for the 2nd pass works for me. Cremo works fine, but for the last few years, I have used Prosraso cream straight out of the tube, with no brush, instead of Cremo.

I have used Cremo for years to shave my head and face. I always use a bowl and brush.

I add hot water, then Cremo, then mix. I start out with relatively little water, to make it thicker and easier on the skin. I add more hot water during the process to thin it out, and by then, I'm shaving with less pressure as well.

Depends on whether or not you keep it on your hand. After shaving and rinsing, you should always reapply the lather whether it’s a gel, foam, oil, soap, cream, liquid, lather from a bowl/brush etc. If you rinse your hand after applying you’ll have to use extra and reapply, if you don’t just re-rub it onto your face. Shaving with nothing on your face isn’t a good idea imo.

I do not typically rinse between passes. I just reapply lather from my brush.

I do have some shaving soaps that provide so much residual slickness that I have been able to do my clean-up pass without applying more lather. However, there are only a few soaps good enough to do that.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Interesting read. I've tried two tubes of cremo, one early on in my wetshaving (had terrible results) and once.. maybe 3-4 years ago and had better/passable/ok results. The little blurb on the back of the tubes certainly convincing but I just never seemed to achieve.... that. I wonder if I still have a half tube anywhere.

I wet my face and hands and apply 1 inch bead,and rub my hands together ad apply to areas I want to shave. I don't rinse off my hands just apply a little water and rub face again for subsequent passes. Have not had to apply extra Cremo yet.

Top Bottom