What's new

Shaving with Charles Dickens - A Spiced Myrrh Shaving Soap Review

Have you ever had a shaving soap, the scent of which is an enigma to explain? Well, to me, it is Spiced Myrrh from one of our very own B&B Vendors, Stone Cottage Soapworks. (@MilfordNJGuy)

I've used it several times after @major_works inquired if it smelled like incense. My simpleton ways resulted in a quick response that it doesn't - at least to my nose. His inquiry however, remained truly unanswered, and this has led me to sleepless nights trying to figure it out. In response, the owner of Stone Cottage, the David, was kind enough to email me a very nice and detailed outline of the scent, which I blatantly plagiarize here in fancy green:

It "resinous and balsamic" it also contains "Allspice, Cinnamon and Clove Bud" "powdery Amber and Dark Musk" with "rich sandalwood and cedarwood blended with mixed with sweet vanilla" notes as well which isn't listed in the description.

The above is probably more helpful than the rest of my rambling review, but damn the torpedoes . . . :boat:

To me, the best description of the scent of Stone Cottage Spiced Myrrh shaving soap is something
Victorian, something Charles Dickens, something from A Christmas Story. We all remember that warm tale, where Scrooge is visited by some ghosts about his past and present, and then dumped in a tropical jungle to ultimately become Colonel Kurtz. A true holiday family classic. So, the shaving soap smells like a Victorian Christmas to me and now that I finally was able to fathom my own description, I know that I will be able to sleep tonight. :sleep1:

Vic Christmas.jpg

As for some images and discussion, (because @alex2363 taught me how pictures make a thread better), Spiced Myrrh comes in the standard Stone Cottage container and is a pretty solid block that should give ample shaves over course of time, with the exception of those engaging in 16 pass shaves.
20180429_143200.jpg
20180429_143205.jpg
20180429_143228.jpg

The equipment used today was my standard blue Sally Beauty plastic cup of shaving justice; a beautiful Swedish straight razor (MK 8); and an incredible custom made Badger brush.

20180429_143045.jpg
20180429_143140.jpg
20180429_143123.jpg

As true to all Stone Cottage soaps and creams, lathering is no issue and within a short period of time a serious amount of slick lather was created. One note I make is that this soap smells wonderful when opening the lid; however, upon lathering and opening it up with warm water, the scent really kicks into high gear. :yikes: For those who enjoy a stronger scent profile when shaving, this would fit the ticket. :thumbsup:

20180429_143445.jpg

Spiced Myrrh left me with smooth skin and no problem with drying out. I followed up with another one of our own B&B Vendor's product - "VENTURE" by Captain's Choice. (@Captain Pre-Capsize ) Whom I believe is also known as Scott, and may even go by the name of "Captain No Beard" if I have my way.

20180429_205202.jpg

Venture, to me is a fascinating contrast to the Spiced Myrrh, as it is a milder scent with a citrusy, and perhaps fleeting, muskiness to it that I am really digging. This combo permitted both scents to quietly appear for some time after the shave when I was instructed by SWMBO to clean out the guinea pig litter.

Overall, I hope my input, (and the real description by David of Stone Cottage), help with some of the queries about what "Spiced Myrrh" is all about. A definite winner in my book and something a bit out of the ordinary that warrants a place in your den whenever you feel the urge to rub some Charles Dickens all over your face.

-Justin (a/k/a Snurgblat)

Great review, right up until the very last sentence. Nope, don’t want to rub any Charles Dickens on my face!

Nicely done! Thanks for the additional notes on the scent. It's still intriguing as described. I'm just am incense nut; I'm around the real thing a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom