What's new

Shaving with both hands

Greetings gentlemen,

Another quirk I seem to have picked up from my str8 razor usage is shaving with both hands. I use my right hand for the right side of my face and vice versa. This initially did not come naturally as I'm not ambidextrous. But, now I do it out of habit and find I receive better results. Has anyone else tried this with a DE?

Rik said:
Greetings gentlemen,

Another quirk I seem to have picked up from my str8 razor usage is using both hands whiles shaving. I use my right hand for the right side of my face and vice versa. I find I have better control of the razor. Has anyone else tried this with a DE?
Isn't that the way everyone does it?

I shave with both hands using a straight, and I'm a pretty exclusively straight razor user these days. I picked up an old injector the other day for a couple of bucks at an antique shop and gave it a try for the hell of it. With that thing in my left hand, it's pretty scary, not natural feeling, but with a straight, it's no problem. Ironic, no? I guess it's just what you're used to. For the longest I only used my right hand with various DE and cartridge razors, but when I went straight, using my left on the left side was the only way I could get a satisfactory shave. Now it's second nature. Go figure..

Jeff

I get better shaves when I use both hands. Soemtimes when I'm in a hurry, or shaving on auto-pilot, I'll use my right hand for the left half of my neck, but it just doesn't get the job done as well.

-Nick

I only use my right hand to shave, mostly out of fear of the damage I might do with my left hand! There is no question that I get a better shave on the right side of may face (particularly around the jaw line) than I do on my left.

This gives me an idea: Since I have a Progress, I think I'll dial down the razor to minimum (so I don't kill myself) and practice a bit with the left hand. Hopefully, I'll do a little better than this guy: :shaving:

Mike

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Scotto said:
I only use one hand for everything....:blush:

I, too, use one hand (my left) for everything. :001_tt2: My wife jokes that I can turn a piece of coal into a diamond with my left, but can't open a mayonnaise jar with my right.

dubes said:
I only use my right hand to shave, mostly out of fear of the damage I might do with my left hand! There is no question that I get a better shave on the right side of may face (particularly around the jaw line) than I do on my left.

This gives me an idea: Since I have a Progress, I think I'll dial down the razor to minimum (so I don't kill myself) and practice a bit with the left hand. Hopefully, I'll do a little better than this guy: :shaving:

Mike
Greetings Mike,

At first it will seem strange. Take it slow. Soon it will become second nature to you. To put it into perspective, think about what it's like to use your non-dominant hand for the first time with a straight razor.

Rik, Thanks for the encouragement. As an update, I shaved using my left hand for the left side of my face/neck this morning, and while it was awkward as hell, I managed to not draw any blood. I'll keep at it until it feels more natural (it took me awhile to get used to using a mouse with my left hand, but now I'm pretty facile with it).

Mike

dubes said:
Rik, Thanks for the encouragement. As an update, I shaved using my left hand for the left side of my face/neck this morning, and while it was awkward as hell, I managed to not draw any blood. I'll keep at it until it feels more natural (it took me awhile to get used to using a mouse with my left hand, but now I'm pretty facile with it).

Mike
Anytime Mike,

One of the neat things with shaving is there's always something new to try. Have a good one.

Top Bottom