What's new

Shaving with bar soap

I did it plenty in the 60s. And again last night. Leaving for the airport in a bit, did not want to deal with a wet brush scenario. Used a bar of Yardley. It is a lemon something or other flavor.

Thanks to the soft water, not such a bad shave. Used a Flair Tip SS, a very forgiving razor.

Not going to give up on brushes or shaving soap, but a decent shave can be had with a bar of bath soap and a mild razor-- in a pinch.

Yes, I have had similar experiences. Over the years and especially when cash was short, I shaved with a variety of products including hand soap, dish soap, hair conditioner, hand lotion, a variety of creams diluted with water and massaged into my whiskers. Some of the glycerine soaps like Pears work quite well. Even plain hot water works in a pinch...just take your time. Ahhh...the good old days.

I know I went through boot camp in 1969 with a Tech and a bar of soap. Of course, I was just a kid then with a light beard.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Early 1970s I used whatever soap was on the sink, rubbed in with my hands and lots of hot water.
Phew, glad those times are over (bar soap, not the seventies!). I'll only ever do it again in an emergency.

Even plain hot water works in a pinch...just take your time.

Yikes!! Don't tell me this was also with a rusty blade? I'm pretty sure I'd not shave given the hot water as the only option.

Back on topic... I used bar soap and shaved in the shower with a multi blade sensor, fusion, etc. for many, many years before I knew better. My brother and father still do the same and are perfectly content to continue to do so. Got into this conversation with my Dad (75) last week and he found it comical that I was DE wet shave and make my own lather. He's never done it in his life but recalled my Grandfather doing so when he was a kid with what sounded to me like a cream soap in a tube.

At any rate, bar soap is perfectly serviceable albeit not nearly good as even the average shaving soaps.

Many times over the years especially when traveling. A couple of years ago I shaved for a week or two using my wife's Dove bar. Not as good as using most shave soaps but certainly not bad. I can even shave with just water with decent results.

My grandfather used just standard hand soap for as long as I recall, and for as long as my dad can remember, as well. Every day shaves with a late 40's Super Speed, then later on with a Slim Adjust, till he went to disposable Bic's sometime in the mid to late 80's.

Shea Moisture makes a "utility bar" soap that is advertised as the all purpose. Shampoo, shower, shave... I'd give it a gold star for the top two claims. I did shave with it for a couple weeks while camping, and they weren't the worst shaves I could have gotten, I guess. But, my memory from that long ago could be iffy. lol

I've found that standard bar soap works better when you put the bar right on your face like a stick. I've never been able to work a bar soap with a brush with great results.

An older coworker, now retired, said he would chop up a bar of Ivory, put it in a cup with a table spoon of olive oil, zap it in the microwave, mix it up, and let it cool. That was the only shaving soap he used for decades.

Top Bottom