What's new

Shaving With a Sunburn?

You will feel the skin a little dryer so make sure the lather is well hydrated and load more soap than usual. You could just add a couple of drops of glycerine to your lather instead of loading more soap. Just do your normal shave but the razor may drag a little more; that is feedback your skin has been damaged. Moisturise well after your shave too.

Last edited:
If you have to shave and can't take a day or two off to heal then I suggest a very slick lather, incorporate a preshave of some sort of you don't already (if you don't have any preshave cream/oil around hair conditioner works surprisingly well), and keep it to a single WTG pass so you look presentable but don't cause further skin damage. You can still use any alcohol/witch hazel splash you normally do but definitely use balm, skin lotion, or aloe as a final step to really lock in the moisture.

FWIW, when I get hit by that bright thing in the sky, I switch to a battery-operated electric for a couple of days, using plenty of moisturiser afterwards.

Sorry!! :sob: :sob:

Aloe vera helps! For me Haslinger aloe vera soap and an aloe vera containing skin cream.

If you have Proraso pre shave (cooling sensation), you might try using a thin layer under your most protective cream or soap. Other ideas: fresh blade, one pass, menthol AS before some kind of healing balm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll never know what a sunburn is. Perhaps waiting for it to heal before attempting to run a sharp blade over it would be the best course of action?

I decided to wait another day although it’s starting to feel pretty good now. Started the morning with a good face wash, and then an alum block over my entire face followed by Thayers witch hazel aloe toner, hyaluronic acid and a good moisturizer. The heat is gone.

Three bits of advice:
  1. Don't shave until it's completely healed. You have damaged the outer layers of your skin. Give them time to heal.
  2. To help the healing, use 100% aloe. Use a lot. Use it often. Yes, it's sticky, and it's slimey, but it works.
  3. Invest in sunscreen for all future outside pursuits.
Good luck, glad it's improved already.

I got a little too much sun this weekend cleaning the trucks and pressure washing the front drive. I am really finding the preshave product called PREP to be fantastic. I applied it to the toasty areas after my shower, and before bed. Only applied it 3 times and my skin is basically good to go know with just a little extra care and caution. Check it out, it’s good stuff. I believe the proraso preshave s are basically the same.

in addition to the moisturizer, hydrate hydrate hydrate, drink your water.

I decided to wait another day although it’s starting to feel pretty good now. Started the morning with a good face wash, and then an alum block over my entire face followed by Thayers witch hazel aloe toner, hyaluronic acid and a good moisturizer. The heat is gone.
After my morning treatment, my face felt really good so decided to shave. More moisturizing wash and preshave, TOBS sensitive skin shave soap. Rockwell 6C on plate #3 and I never felt the blade. Post shave was the same as I conditioned with in the morning and my face feels better than before I went out in the sun yesterday. All that product is a moisturizing and hydrating repair crew. My face is still beet red, but now it feels plump and happy.

Yesterday I spent some time in the swimming pool and got some burn on the top of my head. Some CeraVe at night and a gentle touch while shaving worked wonders.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
First treat the sun burn and DONT shave...no need to
Once the burn goes down, do a one pass with a mid aggression razor and a nice soap. Skip alcohol and use balm, more than once
+1

Treat the burn and skip it if you possibly can.

Three bits of advice:
  1. Don't shave until it's completely healed. You have damaged the outer layers of your skin. Give them time to heal.
  2. To help the healing, use 100% aloe. Use a lot. Use it often. Yes, it's sticky, and it's slimey, but it works.
  3. Invest in sunscreen for all future outside pursuits.
Good luck, glad it's improved already.

This. X3.

Top Bottom