What's new

Shaving with a straight razor three times without stropping.

I shaved with Gold Dollar 66 straight razor three times without stropping.
My first shave was only on the cheek.
On my second shave, I shaved more areas. I watched some videos on straight razor shaving before the third shave. I practiced grips and tiny strokes with the razor on my bare face as I watched videos. On the third shave, I was learning to navigate.

On the third shave, the edge was tugging my skin and my hairs so much that I got a small nick from the tugging. The nick healed quickly because it was tiny. I had to use my DE safety razor to finish up. My DE razor blade was running on my face so smoothly that I could feel the stark difference between a sharp edge and a dull edge.

What I learned:
  • A sharp straight razor has potential for a smoother shave than a DE safety razor.
  • A straight razor can't keep a sharp edge for three shaves without stropping. A dull edge can nick my skin by tugging hairs.
  • It is more difficult to navigate with a straight razor than with a DE safety razor. It was hard to shave under the nose because the angle was steep right under the nose. I almost nicked right under my nose because the angle was steep, but I pulled away the edge before it nicked under my nose.
  • A straight razor needs more lather and more lubrication than a DE safety razor.
  • I need to buy a leather strop if I want to shave with it again.

Last edited:
I know an edge will rust very quickly if not clean and dried. That is another major reason for stropping . At least for me. Also I think my early shaves were bad due to my inexperience not the edge . I've shaved with a few different edges. I can say the sharper edges show my lack of skill. A smoother less keen edge is my key to a happy medium. I like something in 8k to 10k finish. I'm guessing anyhow. I end up with less ingrown hairs and less irritation. If you need a strop and don't mind trying a vintage used strop ,just message me . I have a few that are not being used. I'd be happy to send you one. Anyhow good luck and keep at it.

Yeah, stropping is very important. Personally, I strop after the shave on linen for 25 laps and then 50-60 laps on leather and then again before I shave the next time only on leather for about 30-40 laps. If you strop after every shave, your razor should be good to go. You may need to strop on linen 30 or more laps or a pasted strop in order to bring your edge back up to where it was before.
Congratulations on learning to shave with a straight, please let us know if you need help or advice.
Matt

I shaved with Gold Dollar 66 straight razor three times without stropping.
  • I need to buy a leather strop if I want to shave with it again.
Definitely, otherwise.....
XT1EeDq.gif

Good stropping is one of the main obstacles to using a straight. Everything rides on that as the edge will dull and rust without it rather quickly.

Top Bottom