What's new

Shaving with a straight razor lead to better DE shaves?

I have been shaving with my straight razor now for 2 weeks and just tried out my Muhle R41 for a change of pace……I suppose it could be all the mental concentration and careful strokes with the Boker, but my shave with the Muhle was extremely smooth and very efficient. In other words does shaving with a straight lead to easier DE shaves?

Yes, It did that for me.

I had to relearn my technique, unlearn mindless, repeated inefficient strokes, especially bad attack angles. The new ones are now hard baked in my muscle memory for every razor I use, DE, or SE.

Earlier, I could not go beyond 5 shaves and had to take a break to rest my face. It's been around 6 months that I've been shaving daily without any breaks.

On the side for SR shaving, I also developed better at lathering great well hydrated lather. Combination of the two get me more shaves from a DE snd SE blade (almost 5x)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Most SR shaves seem to agree that SR shaving improves all other types of shaving. I haven't DE shaved often as I'm scared because I can't see the blade's edge on my skin. I have noticed though that since getting into SR shaving, my occasional cart and electric shaves have noticeably improved.

Now that you've raised the matter, if I can build up enough courage, I might even try to DE shave on Sunday!

I agree. I started with the straight and was told to not stop or go back to any other razors if I really wanted to learn the straight. 7 or 8 years later I wanted to break out all my other razors and clean them, organize them and start my razor spreadsheet. Then I decided I needed to shave with them all one or two times so I could add comments on the razors into my spreadsheet. And I got better shaves with them than I did before. Ones like the Micromatic and some Gems gave me issues in the past but I found I just paid closer attention and got better shaves. Nowadays I have every razor in my rotation no matter what type it is. Changing from one type to another type often keeps me ready for any type of shave. Enjoyable!

Interesting question!!

For me, the experience of straight razor shaving especially attention to a well hydrated lather, proper razor angle and no pressure resulted in better shaves. That is for both DE and SR shaves!! :a29:

I agree that using a straight improved my DE shaves. Just like using a DE improved cart shaves. My opinion is that as you have to be more aware of what you're doing especially with a straight, you transfer that mindset to other forms of shaving.

Top Bottom