What's new

shaving with a kitchen knife

I've been using cartridge razors for the last 20 years or so, but recently switched to DE. (Thanks to B&B for the reviews section - based on reviews I picked out some equipment with which I'm very pleased.)

Anyway, along the way I made a one-time foray into kitchen knives - or, specifically, a Sabatier paring knife. I like to cook and detest dull cooking knives, so I have gotten pretty adept at sharpening them myself. One day, to test my sharpening prowess, I sharpened my favorite 3" knife and used it to shave. It wasn't the best shave ever, and I wound up with plenty of "weepers," but it did work, and I didn't kill myself!

If anybody feels like replicating my effort, I would suggest using a knife with relatively soft steel - Wusthof, for example, or better yet something in old-fashioned (rust-prone) carbon steel. A hard steel knife (e.g., Henkels) holds its edge well but is harder to get razor-sharp.

Has anybody else tried shaving with odd cutting implements (knives, hatchets, chainsaws, whatever)?

From The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting, p. 80: "But close to the edge of the water, using the sea's calm surface for a mirror, and a piece of broken bottle for a razor, John Doolittle was shaving his face by the light of the moon."

Youn can mow your entire yard with a weed eater or a pair of scissors, but there are better tools available. :tongue_sm

I do commend you on you bravery! We have a ShaveWiki badge for those contribute to the Wiki page. Perhaps we should have a ShaveWacky badge just for instances like this. :w00t:

Most knives will not work because they are too dull.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM60prhzj_o[/YOUTUBE]

I have some Japanese chef knives which are very sharp and kept that way by me; probably sharp enough to shave with. Love to cook with them, would not shave with them. The right tool for the job and all that.

SNIP<<< I like to cook and detest dull cooking knives>>>>SNIP

WORD!!!!

SWMBO loves to put my kitchen knives in the dishwasher and it drives me right up the wall. So I've learned to wash them myself by hand and put them in the block.

When sharpening my knives, I'll test it on the back of my hand to see how well they cut, but haven't tried it on my face. Problem is, a knife that sharp doesn't hold an edge long, even the best steel.

I don't understand the point of trying to shave with a kitchen knife (holy wicked spike point Batman!!) when an actual straight razor would do a superior job, with far less danger involved. :tongue_sm

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
When knife guys say that their edge is razor sharp, I don't think they're quite aware of what is meant by "shave ready".

Knives are for food.

I have a similar experience. I have, in my backyard, a home made blast furnace and line forge. I've been forging blades for just over a year. I forged, ground, and polished a blade very similar in shave and function to a straight razor from a home made nickel-molybdenum steel (roughly 1095 grade carbon), hot rolled and stretched. I wasn't brave enough to use it on my face, so I gave it a shot on somewhere less conspicuous. My foot. It worked well enough, but left the area very, very irritated and, frankly, bleeding.

Top Bottom