What's new

Shaving with a DE Razor, Shaving Soap and Drain Issues...

Hello,
It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but I have a question.

My issue has to do with drain issues as it relates to shaving with a DE razor and shaving. My sink is completely clogged up, so I started using the bathtub to rinse my razor off in. One downside to using the tub is that I noticed the tub was slippery when I would take a shower, which I realized was from the "slickness" of the shaving soaps I use.

Initially, the bathroom sink drain started giving me issues, then it was the tub drain, however, I've noticed recently that as water collects in the tub, it will build up just a little bit, but then I'll start to see the swirling around the drain. It may not even be building up. Before, when I was resorting to use the tub to rinse off my razor, it would take longer to empty, depending on how full the tub got. Just as an example, when I showered in the past, the water would be about ankle-deep and I wouldn't notice the tub was empty until the next morning. However, like I said, I recently noticed the swirling action in the tub and it is draining faster.

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to preventing clogged drains? I read somewhere that some people will cover the drain with either paper towels and/or a coffee filter so that the water drains, leaving behind hair and shaving soap. I also read somewhere that some men utilize two shaving bowls when shaving. Both are filled with water and the first bowl is used to rinse the razor free from the shaving soap and second bowl is used to rinse any remaining hairs out of the blade. Then, after a man is done shaving, he can utilize paper towels and a coffee filter to empty the shaving bowls into (as the paper towels and coffee filter are placed over the drain), in order to filter out the hair and shaving soap.

Does anyone have any other suggestions when it comes to keeping the water flowing down the drain while shaving and not clogging the drain with excess hair and shaving soap?

Also, what about drain cleaners/clog removers?

Thank you.
Korey

I just buy some cheap bleach and I pour half the bottle in the sink and half bathtub. I let it sit overnight and run hot water in the morning for a couple of minutes in the bathtub and sink. I do this when I notice they drain slowly and this works for me. I buy the cheap great value 121 oz bottle from Walmart.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never had any issues with drain clogging or running slow due to shaving related soaps etc. I am no Plummer but it sounds like you may have other issues with your pipes. We have had tree roots in our pipes that have caused issues with waste water getting away. A Plummer run the ”eel” through the pipes and well went well. We also occasionally use products such as “Draino” that help to keep the waste water flowing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I see people rinsing their razor by turning the tap on briefly. To my mind, that rinses stuff into the drain, but not through the drain.

I rinse my razor in a mug, then at the end of the shave, I turn on the tap first, pour the mug into the sink, then rinse it under the tap. This makes sure everything is rinsed right through the u bend and away, instead of collecting in the bend. Periodically, maybe weekly, I'll make sure to fill the sink, then pull the plug to give it a full rinse with a good head of water. If things do get gunked up, usually more to do with my long hair than with shaving, I'll give it a shot of drain unblocker like Mr Muscle for example. Sometimes baking powder and vinegar will work, but not always.

Yeah, our bathroom has two sinks in it. One is mine and the other my wife's. Mine I use to shave, brush my teeth and wash my hands. I have yet to unclog this drain even one time and it's been years.

The wife's side however I seem to have to clear every so often. maybe once or twice a year. Every time I clear it out I pull out a wad of hair the size of a small rodent. The hair is covered with hair spray, makeup, etc. Same deal with the shower drain. I have to clear it every so often. Less often than the sink but the same deal. I have daughters as well, so I have to clear those sinks and shower drains also.

My point is the only sink I don't have to clear the drain on a regular basis is the one I shave in. The soap and stubble does not clog the drain at all. What is clogging the drain is my wife and daughter's long hair.

If you're straining sink water through a coffee filter then you have way too much time on your hands. The easiest way to clear the drain are these plastic sticks that you can get at the local Walmart for a few bucks for two of them. It's like a plastic stick of thorns that are set on an upward angle. Remove the drain stopper, push this thing down the drain and pull it back up. It'll bring the wad of hair up with it so that you don't have to take apart the p-trap under the sink. Super easy to do, no chemicals and it takes about ten seconds to do.

I have never had a problem with the bathroom sink drain when shaving. Always drains just fine soap and all.

I agree that you probably have other issues going on and might want to consult a plummer before things back up and give you a real headache.

Hello,
It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but I have a question.

My issue has to do with drain issues as it relates to shaving with a DE razor and shaving. My sink is completely clogged up, so I started using the bathtub to rinse my razor off in. One downside to using the tub is that I noticed the tub was slippery when I would take a shower, which I realized was from the "slickness" of the shaving soaps I use.

Initially, the bathroom sink drain started giving me issues, then it was the tub drain, however, I've noticed recently that as water collects in the tub, it will build up just a little bit, but then I'll start to see the swirling around the drain. It may not even be building up. Before, when I was resorting to use the tub to rinse off my razor, it would take longer to empty, depending on how full the tub got. Just as an example, when I showered in the past, the water would be about ankle-deep and I wouldn't notice the tub was empty until the next morning. However, like I said, I recently noticed the swirling action in the tub and it is draining faster.

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to preventing clogged drains? I read somewhere that some people will cover the drain with either paper towels and/or a coffee filter so that the water drains, leaving behind hair and shaving soap. I also read somewhere that some men utilize two shaving bowls when shaving. Both are filled with water and the first bowl is used to rinse the razor free from the shaving soap and second bowl is used to rinse any remaining hairs out of the blade. Then, after a man is done shaving, he can utilize paper towels and a coffee filter to empty the shaving bowls into (as the paper towels and coffee filter are placed over the drain), in order to filter out the hair and shaving soap.

Does anyone have any other suggestions when it comes to keeping the water flowing down the drain while shaving and not clogging the drain with excess hair and shaving soap?

Also, what about drain cleaners/clog removers?

Thank you.
Korey
Take the pipes apart under the sink and clean them out. You might have to run a snake further in if that doesn't solve your problem. As for the shower I would try snaking it out before I called a plumber. Chemical drain openers work great for slow running drains. Pour in before you go to bed and then let them work all night and then rinse with hot tap water in the morning.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

i've never had a problem i just pop the plug in and fill the sink and rinse my razor in sink drain and repeat for the following passes . on the last pass drain i will give the sink a good rinse clean job done till the next shave .

I've rented older apartments that have old pipes and drain issues. Depending on the material of the pipes, if metal, drain pipes can corrode and create and onion like metal leaves in it. This typically catches everything including and especially women's hair. I think pretty much all women that wash their hair do not gather 'hair fall' it instead they try to "flush" it down the drain (I've seen every woman I've known do this). So if could be your pipes depending on where the blockage is.

Along with certain high glycerin, softer soaps... this can create scum and sticky, tacky residue that accumulates along with dirt and debris.

I recommend plunging the drain first... next step if you can undo the pipes under the sink, the "S" bend and examine it. Use a device to clean the pipes.

Then you can buy and use a drain cleaner.... this should get the pipes moving. Also look at what soap you and whoever lives with you uses. Change soaps...

Lastly call a plumber if the problem persists. Most men shave... it isn't the fine hair clogging the drain, it's scum, long hair, corrosion or some obstruction.

I’ve never had a problem with my drain. But if you are worried about it, get yourself a small plastic tub that you can set in the sink. Use this tub as your sink. When you are done, pour the shave water down the toilet. That is about a 3”to 4” drain and shouldn’t have a problem with your shave water.

I would daresay that shaving soaps were only the straw that broke the camel's back.

Hard water will create soap deposits, but those need something to cling to, for the clogging to take place.

If the problem is triggered by organic matter, like long hair (not stubble or hair from a short beard), lye or lye-based products are usually picked to fix the problem.

If you'd rather have a shot at removing soap deposits first, you could try to pour very hot or boiling water mixed with dish soap down the drain. This is super effective in removing soft soap deposits, but won't do anything for hardened stuff.

For the future, you could try shaving with demineralized water, or treating water with citric acid.

Top Bottom