What's new

Shaving with a cold/flu

Hi all,

What do you do if the time arises when you need to shave but you are unwell due to a cold/flu?
The last few days I have had the old sniffles and been using my Proraso green cream to help the sinus. Is there anything else that could be done?

Two suggestions.
One, just skip shaving; substitute chicken soup in place of shaving!
Second, you might enjoy any heavily mentholated shave to help open the sinuses!
Best wishes on kicking your sniffles!

queen charlotte vostok penhaligon feather aqua velva december 29 2017.jpg

One, just skip shaving;
Sacrilege!!!

Unfortunately, i suffer from "little bits of tissue sticking to my stubble" disease...

I should also use the Proraso pre/post cream i have somewhere up the back of the den. That stuff melts eyeballs!

Hope you're on the mend soon. I still shave when full of cold but hate it. My skin gets very dry and between my nose and lip gets chapped due to all the nose blowing so dragging a razor across it is not a pleasant experience

I have had flu A this week and still recovering. I missed several days but I shaved today. It was either do that or break out the clippers.

I used declaration grooming since it is so slick.

Resist the urge to use a brush for your soap/cream. Use hand soap instead and perform just a single pass wtg, with touch ups if needed. Don't disassemble your razor. Leave it to dry after each shave with the blade in it and when you feel well again, toss the blade and clean the razor. You can keep the spread of germs down this way and get back to bed quickly.

When I had the flu recently shaving was the last thing I wanted to do so I just skipped it. I didn't even have the energy to get out of bed. This is difficult for me as I rarely miss a shave.

Once I started feeling better a shower and a nice shave was wonderful.

With a cold it's a different story, just power through the normal daily shower and shave.

I had the flu and didn't shave this week from Monday - Wednesday, hell I could barely get out of bed. I did shave today as I went back to work

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Assuming you're not too sick to function...

Resist the urge to use a brush for your soap/cream. Use hand soap instead and perform just a single pass wtg, with touch ups if needed. Don't disassemble your razor. Leave it to dry after each shave with the blade in it and when you feel well again, toss the blade and clean the razor. You can keep the spread of germs down this way and get back to bed quickly.

Osage Rub.JPG

Might be a nice aftershave. If you've never used this stuff, it is a total menthol blast like nobody's business.

I hope everyone avoids the flu. It is no joke this year. Our local hospitals, and we have some big ones, are all totally full, and there have been some deaths.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I second the Osage Rub recommendation.

I caught that horrible flu this year. Last month I came down with the worst fever I've ever had in my entire life. Debilitating. I never want it again.

I hope you're well or getting well.

An old ex-girl friend who also is a nurse once told me that we are pretty much immune to our own germs. Otherwise we'd be sick all he time.

The one advantage of a sinus cold when shaving...snot makes a great shaving lubricant! :a0:

I usually take a really hot shower to clear up the sinuses, give a good honk into a tissue, then do a quick shave before the nasal drip returns.

I hear mentholated software, as others have said, helps! It’s like Vicks for your shave!

If it's really awful I would advise to let it be for now. Last year I was hit with this terrible flu but I still shaved. For some subconcious reason my mind associated the awful feeling with the products I used that time. Whenever I smell the scent of the soap it reminded me of that terrible feeling, heck even the brush I used back then is gathering dust right now. I'm sure it will go away, but I learned my lesson then.

Top Bottom