What's new

Shaving While Beating Cancer

Year 2021 wasn’t great by a lot of measures. For me, a cancer diagnosis added to the unpleasantries. Thankfully, I’ve received excellent care and the prognosis is positive. When the diagnosis hit, after the shock wore off, I did some research: could I continue wet shaving? I didn’t find a lot of helpful information. Nevertheless, I was determined to try to continue. So many things had gone wrong in 2021, and I really didn’t want to give up this daily pleasantry as well. I started by asking my medical providers. They told me I should get an electric razor (gasp). I told them I wanted to continue wet shaving. They weren’t overly pleased about my intention, but they didn’t tell me ‘no’ either. Bear in mind, throughout my ordeal, I’ve remained immune compromised but my treatments weren’t super intense (e.g., no hospitalization) and my numbers didn’t completely tank either.

So the purpose of this post is to share my experience, in case it can be of help or encouragement to another. Obviously, this isn’t to be taken as advice and one should always defer to medical experts.

I changed up my shave routine. Goal was to reduce risk of infection by 1) reducing chance of weepers and 2) reducing chance of nasties getting in through said points of entry. How much of this actually mattered, I’ll never know. But I’m here and still shaving, so I count my blessings. To date I’ve only missed 3 days of shaving since all this started (I felt too poor due to covid and then later pneumonia). Sadly, this ended a 3.5 year stretch of zero missed days, but life is still good.
  1. Wash hands with antibacterial soap.
  2. Mild razor – less precision required, necessary when not feeling great.
  3. Same razor – consistency improves muscle memory, requiring less concentration.
  4. Smooth bar razors – easier to completely wipe down and remove soap buildup.
  5. Load new (DE) blade every day – no chance of fun things growing from previous day.
  6. Alcohol on razor head and handle prior to use – sanitize.
  7. Shampoo brush before each use – clarifying shampoo to reduce buildup.
  8. Synthetic brush – dries quickly, less chance of stuff growing, and shampoo seems to go further up into knot than on my badgers.
  9. Creams (tube format) – no wetting/drying/cultivating things on soap puck.
  10. Dry off face with clean (fresh) towel each day.
  11. Wipe down razor when done.
Oh, and I’ve continued using Proraso Pre-Shave. They weren’t crazy about that either, but they wanted me to live as normal as practical. I suspect a bunch of my steps aren’t essential, but now it’s just routine. Cancer is officially losing, and my face is happy!

Happy shaves all!

Year 2021 wasn’t great by a lot of measures. For me, a cancer diagnosis added to the unpleasantries. Thankfully, I’ve received excellent care and the prognosis is positive. When the diagnosis hit, after the shock wore off, I did some research: could I continue wet shaving? I didn’t find a lot of helpful information. Nevertheless, I was determined to try to continue. So many things had gone wrong in 2021, and I really didn’t want to give up this daily pleasantry as well. I started by asking my medical providers. They told me I should get an electric razor (gasp). I told them I wanted to continue wet shaving. They weren’t overly pleased about my intention, but they didn’t tell me ‘no’ either. Bear in mind, throughout my ordeal, I’ve remained immune compromised but my treatments weren’t super intense (e.g., no hospitalization) and my numbers didn’t completely tank either.

So the purpose of this post is to share my experience, in case it can be of help or encouragement to another. Obviously, this isn’t to be taken as advice and one should always defer to medical experts.

I changed up my shave routine. Goal was to reduce risk of infection by 1) reducing chance of weepers and 2) reducing chance of nasties getting in through said points of entry. How much of this actually mattered, I’ll never know. But I’m here and still shaving, so I count my blessings. To date I’ve only missed 3 days of shaving since all this started (I felt too poor due to covid and then later pneumonia). Sadly, this ended a 3.5 year stretch of zero missed days, but life is still good.
  1. Wash hands with antibacterial soap.
  2. Mild razor – less precision required, necessary when not feeling great.
  3. Same razor – consistency improves muscle memory, requiring less concentration.
  4. Smooth bar razors – easier to completely wipe down and remove soap buildup.
  5. Load new (DE) blade every day – no chance of fun things growing from previous day.
  6. Alcohol on razor head and handle prior to use – sanitize.
  7. Shampoo brush before each use – clarifying shampoo to reduce buildup.
  8. Synthetic brush – dries quickly, less chance of stuff growing, and shampoo seems to go further up into knot than on my badgers.
  9. Creams (tube format) – no wetting/drying/cultivating things on soap puck.
  10. Dry off face with clean (fresh) towel each day.
  11. Wipe down razor when done.
Oh, and I’ve continued using Proraso Pre-Shave. They weren’t crazy about that either, but they wanted me to live as normal as practical. I suspect a bunch of my steps aren’t essential, but now it’s just routine. Cancer is officially losing, and my face is happy!

Happy shaves all!
Thank you for your inspiring story. My very best wishes for continued good health and seeing the cancer go into permanent remission.

Thanks for sharing. I too received that news several years ago....I feel ya. I was left with a nasty scar on my neck that kept me from wet shaving for about a year. It's healed fine and I'm cancer free by the grace of God....and a wet shaving crazy person. Keep it up the shaving and keep the positive attitude. Best wishes on a speedy recovery and becoming cancer free in the near future.

When my wife had cancer it was she who kept me going. She is the rock in our life.
My best wishes to you and keep up the great attitude. I don't think I would have kept shaving. Taking any chance of problems with recovery. But you are doing it as safe a way as possible so keep up the good work and keep healing.
BTW, My wife is now 15 years cancer free.

You and everyone who battles cancer is a superhero! Cancer takes a person’s deepest strength and mental resolve. If wet shaving brought you happiness during your battle, fantastic! Thank you for sharing your story and journey—your story is encouraging. Many happy shaves ahead! God bless!

Top Bottom