What's new

Shaving when rushed or traveling

While I am starting to love the shave experience that you can only get from de shaving, what do most have for those traveling times or rushed times? Meaning do most invest in a travel electric for those on the go times? If so what type, or if not what do you do?

I do keep a cartridge razor hanging in the shower for those occasions when I oversleep and do not leave enough time for a proper shave. However, those occasions are few and far between. I also keep a cartridge razor in my Dopp kit for travel, but if I am traveling by car, I will take DE razors or straight razors with me along with soap and a synthetic brush.

I don’t have rushed shaves. It’s always a planned part of my morning.

For travel I might take a DE, more recently though I’ve just been bringing a Trac II set with my normal shave soap, brush, AS, and frag. No need to go without the comforts of the home den for me!

If I had to rush a shave it would a 2-pass shave and face lathering which is achievable in 5 minutes. Could do it quicker with some canned foam I still have but that would be desparation to go down that route.
The Dopp kit has a DE89, blades, a small badger brush and a tube of Palmolive cream so I can still do a 3-pass shave in ~ 10 minutes.

My rushed shave is still with a safety razor; I can do a 1 pass with a bit of overlap and get a quite good shave in a few minutes.

-Synthetic brush that doesn't require soaking - 24 or 30 mm Cashmere knot from APShaveCo (24 is for travel, as my 30 mm is on a custom handle that stays at home)
-Travel cream that face lathers quickly (I put a snurdle on my cheek and lather from there) - Proraso Green, Spieck, experimenting with Taconic Shave Tequila Lime and Pacific Shaving's original
-Travel razor that needs to be efficient, friendly even if rushed, and relatively easily replaceable - Merkur 34c/Gillette Heritage/Muhle R89/Edwin Jagger DE89, Gillette vintage flare tip as they're relatively common, modern Tech clone such as a Baili, or other cheap modern razor that shaves well (Parker semi slant). I do like my vintage TTO's, so a flare tip/blue tip/super speed is always a nice choice. If it's simply a rushed shave, a Razorock Game Changer 0.68 is very efficient and friendly, or a Mamba 70. Also Ikon X3 slant, any Tech, my Aristocrat 46-47, Fatboy/Slim/Super Adjustable on 3-4

I always check a suitcase, so I put my leather Dopp Bag in there with my shaving gear. I really don't like electrics, and would rather not use a cartridge. If I had to use a cartridge (no checked bags), I'd consider a Gillette Guard.

When I’m traveling I just pack a couple bic single blade disposables and a can of Nivea sensitive shaving gel.
I really only travel for leisure so if I’m gone a week I may shave once. That set up gets me through one or two shaves with minimal irritation. Plus you’ll never have an issue gate checking a disposable blade and can of cream.
For rushed mornings, honestly a decent de shave took me less than 2 minutes in the shower. Get a shower mirror and face lather, super easy and fast.

I plan ahead and don't rush shaves. When traveling I always take my full set up (razor, brush, Soap etc. If I only have carry on I take the blade out of my Shavette ( or DE if I take onr) and buy some locally at my destination.
Works for me.

Rushed shave for me = Sabre gem + proraso foam in a can. 1 pass + touch ups

Somehow it cuts 10 minutes off of the normal routine. It yields surprisingly great shaves.

When I travel I use the Mach 3 that I used for decades before I found out that there is such a thing as double edge razors. The last time I tried using an electric was when I was a young teen and my father said I needed to start shaving, so he gave me his old Remington. As far as I could tell back then, it didn't do anything in terms of removing hair except make my face red with irritation. I tried it for about a week until I realized it was futile and bought a Bic disposable. When I found out about brushes and good soap and such I bought a nice Edwin Jagger handle for my Mach 3. It's got a nice sized handle that feels good in my hand and has some weight to it. So it stays in my dopp kit along with all of my other travel dedicated shave stuff. That includes a very light but effective double layer stainless lather bowl, a RR Plissoft synthetic brush and small Nalgene containers for witch hazel, aftershave, etc.

The only thing i is use.a.synthetic brush and a good easy to lather soap like haslinger schafmilch

When i am in a rush I use a straight razor with a coticule edge - it's more forgiving and you can take more chances. Speed wise I prefer a straight because I need half the passes to achieve the same results. I reserve DE shaving for when I have time.

I try to travel with hold luggage, pack two cheap straights that I wouldn't mind losing, and carry a coticule and a travel stop in hand luggage. I can be pretty self sufficient like this.

I have some prep and passes I drop in a rush. Cremo gives me a quick lather free shave. When traveling I usually check a bag through. A DE and blades always passes in checked luggage. I don't pack a lather bowl, however, and face lather with a synthetic brush.

While I am starting to love the shave experience that you can only get from de shaving, what do most have for those traveling times or rushed times? Meaning do most invest in a travel electric for those on the go times? If so what type, or if not what do you do?

If you get a travel electric shaver, a Braun M-60 is probably ideal as it's not very big, runs on two AA batteries, it's not aggressive, and it will deliver a relatively close shave. Oh, and it will work fine wet or dry. Just don't use pressure and you won't get much irritation.

Otherwise, I'd probably use a Gillette Guard or a plastic Bic disposable and a small tube of shave cream and a synthetic brush.

Well they have a Remington travel electric on sale here. I guess same set up with double a batteries. But Im undecided.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When traveling (carry-on only) I take a Braun M90 for short trips. On longer trips awy I take a DE without blades and buy some blades at my destination.

Well they have a Remington travel electric on sale here. But Im undecided.

Remington's are aggressive and you have to replace the foils more often. And they are typically older, inferior designs as far as foils go. The Braun M-60 has a computer-designed foil based on Voronoi tesselations that is thin but retains a great deal of strength, and it will shave almost as close with less irritation.

Top Bottom