What's new

Shaving under the nose. 'The Final Frontier'

Wanted to talk about my worst part of shaving. Between the upper lip and under the noose. I just can't master it. Seem like mustache hair is so brittle hard or grows at strange angles of something. If I'm going to get bumps or cuts, that's where they will be. Fear and trepidation sets in as I begin to shave there. Sometimes my hand actually shakes slightly. Sometimes after a two pass shave I can still see small stubble. What do you gents do? I've pulled tugged put my tongue under it to push it out, all with no great success. I've heard that some guys just give in and use a cart razor on the area. Who's had trouble, then found success? Should that area only be shave in one direction? Any secrets?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm another that solved that problem by developing my SR shaving technique. First pass is WTG (generally N to S). Second pass is ATG (fool's pass).

The fool's pass is not for everyone. The edge then needs to be very sharp. I now do a fool's pass every shave, not just for the BBS finish but also as a measure of the condition of the SR edge.

@sternej I don't know if you are SR shaving yet. If not, seriously look into it.

I'm another that solved that problem by developing my SR shaving technique. First pass is WTG (generally N to S). Second pass is ATG (fool's pass).

The fool's pass is not for everyone. The edge then needs to be very sharp. I now do a fool's pass every shave, not just for the BBS finish but also as a measure of the condition of the SR edge.

@sternej I don't know if you are SR shaving yet. If not, seriously look into it.
I'm intrigued by the idea of SR shaving, but I'm monocular and the sighted is isn't doing great either.

I use an electric razor Braun series 7. It nails that area.the Braun is new for me after years of nicking myself cause my skin in shaped uneven in that area.

Eben Stone

Staff member
What razor and blade are you using? Are your mustache whiskers extremely tough?

I typically dont have any issues with the mustache area with the typical 2 pass (WTG, XTG). So recently, in an attempt to improve my technique, I have been expirementing with mustache AGT, and what I have learned is that some combinations of razors and blades simply do *not* work well for that. I have 5 razors and 19 brands/types types of blades and I'm still trying various combinations. But I can say with absolute certainty that some combinations do not work for me on the mustache area.

You may not be going mustache AGT, but maybe some of these suggestions may help in a general way (they seemed to make an improvement for me).

My suggestions:

Use shorter *mico* strokes (like 3 or 4mm) and see if that helps.

Re-lather your upper lip immediately before shaving it, just in case your lather is drying out.

Try a different angle. Whatever your using now try something different. Try neutral angle. Or ride the comb. Or ride the cap.

Try a different blade.

Try a different razor. If you have really tough whiskers then you should prefer a razor with a "rigid design". You definately do not want a chatterbox. There are quite a few discussions already on the topic. In a nutshell you might consider a razor like an injector, single edge, Gem, Gillette old type, Gillette new short comb (not the new long comb), just to name a few off the top of my head. Full disclosure: the only rigid design razor I own is an RR old type, the ones I mentioned have been suggested in other threads on the topic.

Last edited:
I think I got lucky that my first DE razor being a Parker Variant in this regard because the razor had blade feel. With a razor that has blade feel, I'd know exactly where the blade is cutting under my nose. I found it harder to shave that area with razors with little blade feel, like Rockwell, or super smooth blades, like Voskhod, but, I would eventually get those areas with ATG and touch-up passes.

Razors with large caps do pose a problem. I now use a Merkur slant and can get closer. Merkur also has a beard and mustache razor that might work. Maybe someone else here has tried it. Using a cart is not a bad idea. You can avoid nicking the area by using a cart. One thing to try, do first pass with your DE razor and subsequent passes with cart for finishing touch.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
A north south SR pass under the nose works well for me. One pass usually cleans everything up nicely, 2nd pass also north south is a formality. The stubble just under my bottom lip is a more challenging area for me.

Who's had trouble, then found success? Should that area only be shave in one direction? Any secrets?
ATG pass under the nose/on the upper lip is a routine and a must to achieve bbs to dfs result. Most of my DE razors (except 1) can do this if paired with a suitable blade. The only DE razor (Yaqi Slant) I am unable to do this atg hurdle was passed this morning so now all my DEs can perform atg on that area.

The answer to your question based on me only (YMMV)
  1. I shave that area wtg, xtg & atg (based on the gradual reduction)
  2. My trouble is always if the blade chatter...meaning if the blade is not clamped rigidly and/or the blade is not good (dull)
  3. My success and secret is to ensure no or less blade chattering and/or a good sharp blade
I am still unable to go atg on that area using my SRs because they're just plain not sharp enough and I just don't have the knack to hone it up properly.

Under the nose can be tricky struggled with for quite some time until I bought my Razorock GC which has a flat head and zero blade overhang..problem solved

I find that I can only go ATG with a milder razor. So, when I am using a more aggressive razor I take one of the milder ones for the final ATG pass. As others have said, I use my tongue to puff out some places and open my mouth and stretch the skin by moving my mouth so my lips are stretched over my teeth.

I find that I can only go ATG with a milder razor. So, when I am using a more aggressive razor I take one of the milder ones for the final ATG pass. As others have said, I use my tongue to puff out some places and open my mouth and stretch the skin by moving my mouth so my lips are stretched over my teeth.
I agree. Often I use a Gillette Blue Tip razor for ATG under the nose. The Blue Tip is my mildest razor.

Another option is an adjustable razor at a lowest setting. But you're right. Shaving under the nose ATG is "the last frontier of shaving," if one has mature tough whiskers. If you can do that, you can do anything. Extremely light pressure, the lightest possible, can be a help too.

Sometimes I let that area grow out a little more hair before I shave. Just to have something for the blade to catch on easier.
I'll shave my face and neck and leave the upper lip area for another day.

For my upper lip I use three passes: first WTG, then two XTG passes in opposite directions (first ‘ear-to-nose, then ‘nose-to-ear.’) I also use ‘skin stretching’ to get the results I want!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
I’m with @BigJ I do one WTG, two XTG both directions. It’s not BBS, but it’s close enough. I try ATG from time to time and the curve of my lip makes impossible to maintain the right angle. I’ve tried curling my lip over my teeth but it’s no help. Not to mention that when I get close to my nose I get cold feet. I’ve nicked the bottom of my nose more times than I care to. Once was more than I care to.

ATG pass under the nose/on the upper lip is a routine and a must to achieve bbs to dfs result. Most of my DE razors (except 1) can do this if paired with a suitable blade. The only DE razor (Yaqi Slant) I am unable to do this atg hurdle was passed this morning so now all my DEs can perform atg on that area.

The answer to your question based on me only (YMMV)
  1. I shave that area wtg, xtg & atg (based on the gradual reduction)
  2. My trouble is always if the blade chatter...meaning if the blade is not clamped rigidly and/or the blade is not good (dull)
  3. My success and secret is to ensure no or less blade chattering and/or a good sharp blade
I am still unable to go atg on that area using my SRs because they're just plain not sharp enough and I just don't have the knack to hone it up properly.
Yes, chatter is the problem. I can feel it. And chatter is what's causing the nicks/cuts

What razor and blade are you using? Are your mustache whiskers extremely tough?

I typically dont have any issues with the mustache area with the typical 2 pass (WTG, XTG). So recently, in an attempt to improve my technique, I have been expirementing with mustache AGT, and what I have learned is that some combinations of razors and blades simply do *not* work well for that. I have 5 razors and 19 brands/types types of blades and I'm still trying various combinations. But I can say with absolute certainty that some combinations do not work for me on the mustache area.

You may not be going mustache AGT, but maybe some of these suggestions may help in a general way (they seemed to make an improvement for me).

My suggestions:

Use shorter *mico* strokes (like 3 or 4mm) and see if that helps.

Re-lather your upper lip immediately before shaving it, just in case your lather is drying out.

Try a different angle. Whatever your using now try something different. Try neutral angle. Or ride the comb. Or ride the cap.

Try a different blade.

Try a different razor. If you have really tough whiskers then you should prefer a razor with a "rigid design". You definately do not want a chatterbox. There are quite a few discussions already on the topic. In a nutshell you might consider a razor like an injector, single edge, Gem, Gillette old type, Gillette new short comb (not the new long comb), just to name a few off the top of my head. Full disclosure: the only rigid design razor I own is an RR old type, the ones I mentioned have been suggested in other threads on the topic.
Thanks. All helpful advice. I appreciate you all!

Top Bottom