What's new

Shaving time

In a reply to a straight shaver from Cebu I wrote that my shave, from water in sink to aftershave splash was 5 minutes. But I never put a watch on it, so that was an estimate. Today I timed it. Water in sink, soak brush, wet soap, work up lather, wet face, apply lather, WTG pass, re wet, re lather, ATG pass, rinse, dry, after shave: 6 minutes. BBS.
Full disclosure: I have a mustache and goatee, so I don’t have to deal with the tricky chin or under nose.

Last edited:
As it happens, I had a timer going for the laundry when I started my shave yesterday, so now I have a better idea about how long it takes me to shave. I am a lot slower than you are, to say the least.

It was three minutes to having the lather ready the way I like it and applied to my face. First pass was almost six minutes. A bit of time in between for rinsing and resuscitating the lather. Second pass was about five minutes. Then I did a straight south to north pass over both sides of my jaw. That was pretty quick.

Then rinsing with warm water followed by cool water, then application of aftershave. Then cleaning of the brush and lather bowl. Then towel drying my tools and putting them away.

Total time was 22 minutes, which was about what I expected.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I take at least 15 minutes to shave with a DE razor, and anything up to 45 minutes with a straight. For me, the primary purpose of shaving is relaxation and 'me time', the closeness of the finished shave is almost irrelevant. If I took 6 minutes to shave I would be very dissatisfied indeed and would switch to a different razor with which I was less proficient and which required more attention, more focus, and most important for me, more time. I have no wish to take less than 15 minutes for any shave and prefer to take longer; I guess it depends what you are looking for and why you are shaving. YMMV.

I take at least 15 minutes to shave with a DE razor, and anything up to 45 minutes with a straight. For me, the primary purpose of shaving is relaxation and 'me time', the closeness of the finished shave is almost irrelevant. If I took 6 minutes to shave I would be very dissatisfied indeed and would switch to a different razor with which I was less proficient and which required more attention, more focus, and most important for me, more time. I have no wish to take less than 15 minutes for any shave and prefer to take longer; I guess it depends what you are looking for and why you are shaving. YMMV.
Agree. I enjoyed all the time I spent shaving yesterday.
On the other hand the OP is already using a straight. What kind of more difficult implement could he move to, obsidian shards?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve timed myself out of curiosity. I’m usually just over 20 minutes. My routine is pretty much the same. I know it would be longer if I were SR shaving.

45 Min, but I have a more involved ritual:
Kettle on for scuttle, Hot towel with essential oil (rotating 12 scents), pre-shave oil, fill scuttle and make lather, brush lather, shave 2-3 passes (feather SS with super), rinse, another hot towel, aftershave splash, clean up.

I'm a bigger coffee nerd than wetshave nerd, so half the counter is all of my coffee devices; the kettle is very convenient for hot towels and scuttle. It's adjustable, so I don't have to wait for a boiling towel to cool, but much hotter than the sink water gets. 160 degree water keeps my scuttle super toasty, I love warm lather.

Don't know and don't much care to be honest.

But if I had to guess sometimes I give myself a quickie and everything is wrapped up in under 10, other times its very relaxed process that is often interrupted with finding a different song to play, talking with the GF, etc.

I'm probably about 20 minutes in and out. But I generally consider beard care and shaving related. So while I might only shave my neck and the top of my cheeks, add in for combing out the beard, brushing in some balm.

With a DE or SE I'm usually around 10 minutes or so, 15 if I'm feeling sluggish or just want to take my time. Splash some water on my face, wet the brush, drop a little cream (or load my face from a shave stick), whip up a lather, two to three passes, and a final water rinse. I'm quite a bit faster when I use a cartridge, but the steps remain the same.

If I'm in a hurry - under 10 minutes. But it's not enjoyable, & that's one of the main reasons I like to use de razors, to enjoy the experience. Taking my time is what I generally do, so more than 20 minutes I would guesstimate. And some days, considerably more than 30 minutes.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm doing much better than @Quaznoid.

My two-pass SR shave is currently taking me about 20 to 25 minutes but I'm working on getting that up to over 30 minutes without increasing the number of passes.

Doing three SR passes gives me BBS which of course I don't want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom