What's new

Shaving "themes" for the day

Hello there Gents,

Just as of today I happened to take part at a university ceremony where I was actively involved.

This morning while preparing it crossed my mind that I have a sachet of TOBS Eton College and it would fit finely to this event. This was basically the only reason for choosing it.

While shaving I was wondering whether others make their shave choices based on their events foreseen on a certain day. Taken the variety of components (razor, blede, cream, soap, fragrance, technique...) various "themes" could be out there - or not.

What are your themes?

nope. not really. every day's shave will be, "a quality shave" themed.

I'll select an AS/cologne based on what I'll be doing if dressing up. or, none most days.

Not really, but if I have Seasonal soaps handy during holidays I will use them… Hallows for Halloween, Christmas themed soaps Christmas, etc.

I do, sometimes. Figaro or Proraso to go with Italian dinner. Arko for the visit at a Turkish shop. Marine stuff for boat trip. Sporty stuff for sport events. They're like fun, personal ideas to enhance or fortify the experience.

I usually roll the bones and just pick a set i don't think much about it or if the season calls if i I have a family gathering or special event ill pick whichever soap a scentless balm and one of my high quality edp or unless I'm in a hurry my go to is SOC boar, tabac stick, Rockwell 6c (r6).
Those are really my only shaving themes

The only time I intentionally choose what to (or not to) use is when I have a public appearance, meeting clients F2F, giving a speech, etc... so I can't allow any risks. This is usually when travelling to attend conferences and other events (in my pre-covid life at least).

In that scenario, my go-to is TOBS St. James stick (light inoffensive scent, great performance) and Muhle R89 DE razor.

I don’t really do theme shaves though if I was going for an interview Stirling’s Executive Man might be a good choice
What’s a season? What is an event? Welcome to Melbourne lockdown. 😅🙁
Southern Florida is about the same way when it comes to seasons. We have a hot, humid, rainy with a chance of hurricanes season and a warm dry season

always on the look-out for interesting theme ops, just for some variety!

shave themes.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I stay away from strongly scented products anytime I have to go to work. That's what makes traditional scents like Italian citrus colonia or things like Floris No 89 or Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet perfect for work. They dry down to a light, clean, soapy kind of scent.

Last edited:
I'm very seasonal. Around this time of year I start to break out some spicier scents. Come Spring I bathe in Lilac Vegetal / Osage Rub and non-spicy soaps.

I tend to group things my country of manufacture. MdC seems to lather best with a Plisson brush and give the closest shave with a Coticule finished Thiers Issard. It just seems like the right thing to do.

I like to do a four soap rotation with the seasons. For example my four soap rotation for fall will be.
1. Uncle Jon's Pipe smoke.
2. Stirling Varen.
3. Fine Santal Absolut classic soap
4. Saint James of London Tonka and Tabacco flower cream.

I stay away from strongly scented products anytime I have to go to work. That's what makes traditional scents like Italian citrus colonia or things like Floris No 89 or Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet perfect for work. They dry down to a light, clean, soapy kind of scent.
Owen,

Do you use 4711? I don’t recall if that is one you use regularly but it is super mild and mainly citrus. Perfect for the office IMO. It is what I use when I have to meet actual people in an actual office.

Top Bottom