What's new

Shaving the troublesome neck area

I would just like to share something with those of you that, like me, have neck hairs growing straight back parallel to the jaw and where the hairs seem to grow almost along the skin. This makes it very difficult to shave these hairs but lately I have found a way of contorting my face in such a way that I can get at them. Let's say you want to shave the right side of the neck which I do with my left hand going from ear to mouth. When standing in front of the mirror, I take a moderate step back with my right leg, then I lean forward with my upper body and look upwards and to the left as far as the jaw will. This should stretch out the difficult-to-get-to neck area allowing facilitated access. The step back and stoop forward serves the purpose of being able to stretch the skin whilst still keeping eye contact with the mirror. I hope this helps fellow shavers in the same predicament.

I will try to make some pics next time. For a video I am afraid I would not know where to start.

My neck grain is from left to right. I used to shave my whole face and dry the jawline up, lather the neck and pull the dry skin up to raise the stubble so you can get to it. I don't need to do this anymore as my technique has vastly improved with the slicing stroke sideways that really wacks those whiskers. Practice before shaving the stretch to see what will raise the whiskers. If you pull the wrong way, you will pull them down making it harder to cut them.

My neck grain is from left to right. I used to shave my whole face and dry the jawline up, lather the neck and pull the dry skin up to raise the stubble so you can get to it. I don't need to do this anymore as my technique has vastly improved with the slicing stroke sideways that really wacks those whiskers. Practice before shaving the stretch to see what will raise the whiskers. If you pull the wrong way, you will pull them down making it harder to cut them.

I had not thought of that, I will try it on the next shave this evening. I will also try taking a few shots of my "stretch-the-neck-posture".

Here is a picture that I hope shows how flattened the neck area is when doing what I described in the first post.
imagejpeg

I am having a bit of computer trouble at home so I am sorry for not providing the pictoral material that some of you have asked for. The picture that I managed to take did not really do the position justice anyway because I am not able to take a picture of myself that both shows the position of the body and the exposed area of the neck. In the mean time I will try to describe the way I do it in a more precise manner:
1. stand in front of the mirror in a regular relaxed way.
2. take half a step back with your right leg: the tip of my right foot is now approximately 30 cm from the left heel.
3. tilt your head back as far as it will go: you should now be staring at the ceiling.
4. keeping your head in the same position tilt your upper body forward until your can comfortably see what you are doing in the mirror.
5. turn your head to either one or the other side depending on what side you want to shave.

When I do these 5 steps, the neck area flattens out beautifully and the lean forward part means that my chest is not in the way resulting in the possibility of laying the razor almost flat on my neck.

If this still does not help, I will get cracking on the picture again.

Right.... looks like you are also left handed..??
but I can use both hands as I was forced at school to do so to write. Left handedness is less commonly tolerated than in the US.
Now this messy ability of mine means that I can shave the left side of the face with my left hand and the right side of the face witn the right hand. The strip of the Charlotte moustache under the nose belongs to my left hand. After all it is my dominant hand though not everybody knows.....
As for the neck, improve the grip to stretch the skin from beneath with your free hand and a dry small towel. It may things much easier.

Welcome to B&B! Actually I am right handed although straight shaving has taught me to be more ambidextrous than I was before. For the more difficult parts under the nose and chin I do however tend to use my dominant hand more because it feels more natural for precision jobs. As for the neck, I have tried all sorts of things but this last thing, as posted above, seems to have made a tremendous difference mainly because it allows me to stretch, see what I am doing and leaving the ground free for the razor. To each his own, I suppose.

Gustav,

I have the same problem with patches of hair growing close along the skin. My chin and neck being one of these areas. For my next shave I am going to to try, if your stretching pose works for me. Who knows, maybe I can incorporate my Yoga poses into the entire shaving routine. :)

However, I did notice one thing that has helped with my chin is to use a Gillette Slide with my passes over this area. For some reason it is able to pick up the hair where a normal straight stroke would just pass over the hair. Still learning how to avoid possible irritations to the skin from the Gillete Slide, though. The blade suddenly seems to be a lot sharper with the slide.

Dear Rohrbach,

Perhaps I will try the slide again sometime. I did so in the beginning but the risk of cutting oneself just made me feel very uncomfortable. Now with more experience, perhaps I can do it in an uneventful way.

Top Bottom