What's new

Shaving the stubble's border: anyone else avoiding the blade on hairless skin?

I can think of two ways of shaving the border of the stubble. The common way I see in videos is to lather a bit over the border and shave the lathered region.

I am averse to passing the blade over hairless skin. So I lather mainly till the border, shave the interior of the lathered region, wash off any remaining lather, and shave the border while not getting the blade on the hairless skin.

Anyone know of a method different from the above two for handling the border? Anyone else averse to passing the blade on hairless skin?

Is your description of a boarder referring to something with hair like sideburns or a goatee. Or where the beard stops growing, like near the shirt collar.

As long as your skin is wet and you are not using pressure it should be fine to passing the blade over skin. At least every other shave when I doing a final cleanup near my sideburns I wipe nearly all the lather off before making the final stroke, just to be able to see things clearly.

s your description of a boarder referring to something with hair like sideburns or a goatee. Or where the beard stops growing, like near the shirt collar.

I had in mind the neckline and the line between cheeks and bottom of the eyes. I adapted my way of clearing the border from inside out when, as a teenager, I saw a person whose growth was close to his bottom eye lid -- and I do not want to risk moving the blade on skinless hair out of concern that doing so will make hair start growing on that skin.

Given that everybody else seems to pass the blade on hairless skin and do not have hair till their lower lids, my concern might be unfounded; but I don't want to try to disprove the concern on my face.

... I do not want to risk moving the blade on skinless hair out of concern that doing so will make hair start growing on that skin.

Given that everybody else seems to pass the blade on hairless skin and do not have hair till their lower lids, my concern might be unfounded; but I don't want to try to disprove the concern on my face.
Don't worry about it.
Does shaving unwanted body hair make it grow back thicker and darker?
Answer From Lawrence E. Gibson, M.D.

No — shaving hair doesn't change its thickness, color or rate of growth.

Shaving facial or body hair gives the hair a blunt tip. The tip might feel coarse or "stubbly" for a time as it grows out. During this phase, the hair might be more noticeable and perhaps appear darker or thicker — but it's not.

If you notice a sudden increase in facial or body hair, talk to your doctor. This could be a medication side effect or a sign of an underlying medical condition. Your doctor might also provide advice about various hair-removal techniques.

With
Lawrence E. Gibson, M.D.
I suspect that it may also have something to do with adolescents just starting to shave. Their beard will be getting thicker for a while anyway, and it may seem like it is caused by the shaving.
See Post hoc ergo propter hoc - Wikipedia
Just a theory of mine.

I can think of two ways of shaving the border of the stubble. The common way I see in videos is to lather a bit over the border and shave the lathered region.

I am averse to passing the blade over hairless skin. So I lather mainly till the border, shave the interior of the lathered region, wash off any remaining lather, and shave the border while not getting the blade on the hairless skin.

Anyone know of a method different from the above two for handling the border? Anyone else averse to passing the blade on hairless skin?

The small area between your ear and sideburn is hairless, also areas on your chin. These area gets shaved every time you use a razor. So no, shaving hairless areas will not suddenly start producing hairs and is safe to do.

It is also easier shaving when the blade glides over a clean area before contacting whiskers vs starting on whiskers directly.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

No

Top Bottom