What's new

Shaving @ The Smithsonian National Museum of American History

The museum now has online photos from its collection of shaving apparatus including these Gillette items

ADAE4EF8-D3B3-4F7E-BF8C-D2363135C04A.jpeg
A6596B70-352C-47F9-ABB6-D8FB5B14D90E.jpeg
A6596B70-352C-47F9-ABB6-D8FB5B14D90E.jpeg

Why do I have the feeling we have more than one guy on this forum that could put their collection of vintage Gillette to shame?

I have a feeling we have more than one guy who’s currently SHAVING with a better example of that razor hahaha. A “museum quality” shave!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was hoping that was fake. But it’s real. I would give anyone here a break, or anyone on ebay. But a freaking museum? What a bunch of morons

I'm just delighted that something I own (or, more accurately, like I own) is deemed history-museum worthy. And it will help counter any objection from a significant other about how counterspace should be employed.

Almost every vintage razor or collection I've seen here exceeded the quality and quantity of any I saw on their site. Also interesting the number of razors just identified as "razor," or "part of electric razor," like unidentified objects from an alien spacecraft. Pretty poor.

let's be somewhat understanding here, this isn't a topic at a museum that is going to be interesting to everyone, let alone anyone, the items are on display and available to learn about, and I'm sure that was about as much effort that was put into it. Could they have done a better job, you bet, is it a uniform worn by George Washington, or the desk that Thomas Jefferson owned........no. In the wide world of history, this subject matter is really really really really small and boring to about 95% of the world's population.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ever get a response?
Nope. Nothing other than the auto-reply boilerplate. It's still on their website but it reads "not on view". I'm sure there is someone up there thinking "that's how we received it and we don't fix anything to preserve integrity and history".

I am pretty tight with one of the collections managers at the National Museum of American History, and while I am pretty sure this isnt one of the collections she manages, I am going to start looking though my straights to see what I can donate. Two straights in the collection is not enough!

I am surprised at the upside down baseplate. Usually the collections managers are pretty passionate about "getting it right"... at least from the two I have met. :D I will mention this to her, though.

Obviously zero effort made in checking any of it.

A Valet with Gem blades. A shovelhead listed as manufactured ca 1915.

Someone dropped off donations with sticky notes attached, and they took them at their word.

You could be right, there. My insider at the museum said about the upside down baseplate Gillette "there is no record of where this came from, who donated it, etc.. so likely whoever took it in, just photographed it the way we got it, and put it into the collection."

I was told that now that it was pointed out, it would be corrected but "it will be a loooong time before the picture gets changed online"!

My suspicion is, the managers of this collection are more about the "medical" and less about the "cosmetic" aspects of the collection.

The museum now has online photos from its collection of shaving apparatus including these Gillette items

View attachment 1070818View attachment 1070819View attachment 1070819

View attachment 1070818View attachment 1070819View attachment 1070819
My dad used these blades for years. When done, he disposed of them using the medicine cabinet slot.

Top Bottom