What's new

Shaving the back of my neck

i like to shave the back of my neck once a week. I always did this in the shower. Usually I try to find the hairline and shave down my neck. I’ve done it twice with my de but find it a bit awkward. Any tips?

as I shave the whole head too, I'm not sure about hairline tips, however I do shave down, up and side to side on the back of my neck (only down and up on the front).

i like to shave the back of my neck once a week. I always did this in the shower. Usually I try to find the hairline and shave down my neck. I’ve done it twice with my de but find it a bit awkward. Any tips?

Welcome to B&B, Sir JoelH!

Do you have a SWMBO or close person who can do this so the hairline is kept even??

I regularly shave the back of my neck as part of my normal shaving process. I pause before shaving the front and back of my neck to reapply soap and then very carefully shave the back of my neck with upward strokes, purely by feel. I hold the razor with my right hand for the right side and with my left hand for the left side. I feel like I have this aspect of shaving down pat - I seldom nick myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I regularly shave the back of my neck as part of my normal shaving process. I pause before shaving the front and back of my neck to reapply soap and then very carefully shave the back of my neck with upward strokes, purely by feel. I hold the razor with my right hand for the right side and with my left hand for the left side. I feel like I have this aspect of shaving down pat - I seldom nick myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do about the same but I also use a hand mirror to get an even line. Takes practice because the movement is opposite when using two mirrors. Been doing it forever so it’s easy now.

I’ve thought about trying this but have a few moles on the back of my neck that I’d be worried about going over

I shave the back of my neck about twice a week with my a mild plate in my 6S (usually plate 3) and a mild blade like an Astra SP. I use light pressure, take my time, and evaluate by feel after each pass. Usually it's 2 passes, WTG and ATG, and balm afterward. It's a nice, clean feeling afterward.

The Gillette Guard is very well suited to this task.
This.

And I have my wife do it. She actually shaved it for me this morning. I hadn't cleaned up the lather from my morning shave (Stirling Satsuma). She wet the area briefly, applied that luscious Stirling lather, and shaved it off with the Guard. Worked wonders, smooth and comfortable.

I use my off hand as a template when leaving a hairline. Reference point the fingertip to a point on the mastoid. Then switch hands/sides to form a V. Or you can square it off

Some practice will get you pretty even and consistent.

5E01C7F4-5BC4-401B-BAE2-BA85274AAAE0.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I convinced the War Department to shower with me when we got married. Just to conserve water, as my septic system is now over 60 years old. I shower with my eyes closed, of course, so she has shaved my neck for over 31 years. What a lucky girl ❤️.

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but it made more sense to reply to this than to start a new one...

I have discovered a back-of-the-neck shave that I have discovered that seems to work pretty well for me. I wet the back of my neck with a little water to get some slickness, and then I use a cartridge with lubrication strip (Hydro 5 sensitive) with very little pressure. I know some have said they don't like the lubrication from that cartridge, but it works pretty well for me for this purpose: The back of my neck is cleaned up smoothly without any nicks or irritation.

I try to shave the back of my neck once a week using either my DE or a straight. With the DE, I shave upward (blindfolded). With a straight, for my left side, I start shaving upward with my right hand and then switch to shaving downward with my left hand, and vice versa for my right side.

First few times, I was a bit apprehensive but after this my confidence improved and it's no longer a big deal.

Top Bottom