What's new

Shaving Talc help needed

VPD --

I use two different methods to apply talc. The most common method is to apply talc to a 'neck duster' brush, available at Sally's for about $9 or so. I then use the brush, all over neck, face, chest. It doesn't take very much --a 7oz or 9oz bottle of talc should last a couple of years or more, even with liberal use.

The second method involves a dry wash cloth, dedicated to talc use. Fold it in half, then fold in half again so you end up with a square. Shake talc onto the square, fold in half and rub the two sides together, unfold and pat face, neck with the wash cloth. I use the 'plain side' to lightly go over the face, neck, to distribute and smooth out the talc application. I'll use this 'talc pad'/wash cloth for the talc until I use a different talc product. At that point the 'pad' goes into the wash, and I use a fresh wash cloth.

I'll admit to having developed a 'talc AD' the past year and am currently up to 21 different talcs, including many NOS vintage products.:001_wub:

There isn't much written or published about talcs here at B&B. Perhaps I'll write something up, but that will be for a future thread.

-- John Gehman

Talc is used to absorb moisture, freshen, and to soothe mild irritation. It is not typically applied to the face after a shave. Neutral or flesh colored talc can be applied to the face to help absorb oil and prevent shine on the nose and forehead. Barbers apply talc to customer's necks after a haircut to help freshen and to soothe any irritation that may be caused by small clippings after a haircut.

Talc is also used as a pre-shave before using an electric razor. It helps the screen glide over your skin. Simply shake a small amount into one hand, rub both hands together, and then apply to your face. Of course, it can also be applied to any part of your body where moisture may be a problem, but note that tinted talc can discolor clothing, although it will usually wash out.

Excellent reply, T-Dog, I've had a bottle of talc sitting in my cupboard for years and couldn't figure out why I had it and what I should do with it. I bought in about 7 years ago when I bought (gasp!) an electric. Never use that beast. But then it got me wondering about using it as an after shave prep. The caution about clothing staining is very helpful. Thanks!

I only really use talc to help keep my manly-bits dry. The way I apply it is I have a sock that I fill with talc, then I tie it off. I then pat the sock wherever I want talc to go. Kind of like a personal rosin bag. I toss the sock into an old spice mug inbetween uses.

Gentlemen, we may be at the forefront of creating a new AD. I've always wanted to get in on the ground floor of something big. :biggrin1:

I got a haircut this past summer while I was out of town for work, and the haircutter dusted my neck with a talc that stayed with me all night in a wonderfully subtle way. I went back to her shop a couple of days later to ask what she was using, and discovered King Talc. It took me a couple of months to find someone in metro Phoenix who sold it.

I only use the King on the back of my neck after shaving. My Johnson and Johnson cornstarch baby powder is assigned more arduous duty. :whistling:

So if Talc is used to absorb moisture, couldn't it be used in place of an anti-perspirant? I would wonder how it would stick though.

Last edited:
Great thread. I have been interested in Talc for a while now but didn't know much about it. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

I only really use talc to help keep my manly-bits dry. The way I apply it is I have a sock that I fill with talc, then I tie it off. I then pat the sock wherever I want talc to go. Kind of like a personal rosin bag. I toss the sock into an old spice mug inbetween uses.

I used to use it like that when I was in the Military, for road marches and the like. As a civilain I find I have very few uses for it now.

Well it seems I have been in violation of Talcum Appropriateness. :001_smile

I have used my Clubman talc on my face for the past year or so and love it. It is neutral tint and I simply dispense out of one of my vintage (refilled) talcum tins into my palm. I rub the two hands together and then pat it onto a dried face. I time it so the aftershave of the day has dried down and the talc goes right on. I’ll tell you this - if you have a BBS result already and then apply talc, well it is REALLY smooth. I find it necessary to rub it in a good deal so it isn’t apparent talc is on my face but whewww, it does keep it smooth all day. HIGHLY recommended!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Asbestos containing talc is, non asbestos talc is a potential. I did not know this till just now.

From the American Cancer Society

"It is not clear if consumer products containing talcum powder increase cancer risk. Studies of personal use of talcum powder have had mixed results, although there is some suggestion of a possible increase in ovarian cancer risk. There is very little evidence at this time that any other forms of cancer are linked with consumer use of talcum powder."

right - this fuzzy "potential" carcinogen word did not sit well with me, although I suppose you could say cell phone radiation is a potential carcinogen.

at any rate I dumped my pinaud in the toilet and will use the container as a blade bank

Excellent reply, T-Dog, I've had a bottle of talc sitting in my cupboard for years and couldn't figure out why I had it and what I should do with it. I bought in about 7 years ago when I bought (gasp!) an electric. Never use that beast. But then it got me wondering about using it as an after shave prep. The caution about clothing staining is very helpful. Thanks!

+2. Really appreciate the reply as I've always wondered about it's use.

Top Bottom