What's new

Shaving Take-aways from 2019

I came to the same conclusion in 2019. Over the years, I'd heard so many bad things about synthetics that I steadfastly refused to try one.

However, someone generously offered to send a modern synthetic (Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo) for me to test. Well, I was converted. Now, I have 5 synthetics. That first Tuxedo brush is still my favourite, though.

That exact brush is my fave too out of my 3 Yaqis. Mildly hurts me to say it is even better than my Paladin silvertip which is 5x the price. It makes great lather out of those soaps I'd previously chalked up as meh with my other brushes.

I have learned that I really can't do much better than the NEW SC, LC, and Tech.
If I go a few days, the SC is my go to. I then use the tech on a one or two day growth.
The LC is okay to switch things up, but I really prefer the SC. So, in essence, I have found my perfect razor!
Now I can start unloading my TTO razors and start hoarding NEW LCs.
I am trying to get over my collector mentality......LOL

Are you me? I really can't remember the last time I used something other than these two razors: the NEW when a bit longer growth, the Tech when a bit less. I only have the LC though, so I guess there is still something out there to buy in the SC, lol.

My takeaway from 2019 has been prioritizing my skin over everything else. This has meant many small changes, such as no alcohol, menthol, or scented aftershave, and bowl lathering rather than on the face. It's not noticeable overnight, but I do feel the long term benefits are cumulative.

• Like Jim, I have way too much stuff.
  • The RazoRock Gamechanger .84P is a remarkable razor.
  • Stirling Soaps have coma a long way from the early days when they were top performers with a sometimes gamy scent to today's sophisticated great performers.
  • Why didn't I spend more time with D.R. Harris shave soaps?

Are you me? I really can't remember the last time I used something other than these two razors: the NEW when a bit longer growth, the Tech when a bit less. I only have the LC though, so I guess there is still something out there to buy in the SC, lol.

My takeaway from 2019 has been prioritizing my skin over everything else. This has meant many small changes, such as no alcohol, menthol, or scented aftershave, and bowl lathering rather than on the face. It's not noticeable overnight, but I do feel the long term benefits are cumulative.
I find the SC to be a smooth as the Tech, but more efficient. I still switch up the SC and LC but find I tend to use the SC more frequently. I have also started using Witch Hazel and aloe after a shave and have noticed my skin looks better for it. I like Stirling unscented and Stirling Tea Tree the best. I also made my own with a bottle of Dickinsons and essential oils when my unscented ran out. I have also gravitated to Stirlings aftershave made with essential oils. Try a NEW SC and let us know what you think. You will probably like it. I think the fact that it is a rigid blade design makes it such a smooth shaver.

I find the SC to be a smooth as the Tech, but more efficient. I still switch up the SC and LC but find I tend to use the SC more frequently. I have also started using Witch Hazel and aloe after a shave and have noticed my skin looks better for it. I like Stirling unscented and Stirling Tea Tree the best. I also made my own with a bottle of Dickinsons and essential oils when my unscented ran out. I have also gravitated to Stirlings aftershave made with essential oils. Try a NEW SC and let us know what you think. You will probably like it. I think the fact that it is a rigid blade design makes it such a smooth shaver.

Please DNA.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
There were a bunch of vintage Gillette’s on my must-have list that I had been hunting for a couple of years, waiting for that reasonable priced specimen to come along. Toggle, Hybrid Tech, Barber Pole Brit Aristocrat, Psycho Tech, etc. This year I said the heck with hunting and waiting, and just bought them all. It cost me. But life is too short. And I am enjoying these razors very much. So my shaving lesson for 2019, for me anyway, is that if you have the means, just get those razors and brushes and other accessories you desire. I realized that saving money by Wet Shaving was out the window after the first month. So might as well feed the addiction of this hobby’s acquisition disorders and enjoy my shaving that much more.

There were a bunch of vintage Gillette’s on my must-have list that I had been hunting for a couple of years, waiting for that reasonable priced specimen to come along. Toggle, Hybrid Tech, Barber Pole Brit Aristocrat, Psycho Tech, etc. This year I said the heck with hunting and waiting, and just bought them all. It cost me. But life is too short. And I am enjoying these razors very much. So my shaving lesson for 2019, for me anyway, is that if you have the means, just get those razors and brushes and other accessories you desire. I realized that saving money by Wet Shaving was out the window after the first month. So might as well feed the addiction of this hobby’s acquisition disorders and enjoy my shaving that much more.
+1, +1, +1

My biggest take away was dont ever ever use clubman aftershave after trying a new SE razor and feeling your face burn with just water as a rinse. That was the dumbest thing I did.

I started in 2019 so everything has been a great learning experience. From the first time I started wet shaving which was with a straight. To learning what good edges on straights were to bad edges. Learning how to use a DE and SE. Learning how not to use a DE and SE. What soaps I like what soaps I dont like. What blades I like in what DE. Everything has been just great.

I have also learned so much from all of you. And of course am worse in this hobby thanks to all of you. This really is not a good place to be if you dont want to get RAD.

I've learned a lot about generosity of people as well. I am so thankful for all the help I have received. I am glad also I have been able to help quiet a few people out with gear as well.

RxGzZ4erF9Gc8.gif

Top Bottom