What's new

Shaving supplies in Japan?

I will be returning to Japan soon and have been thinking about if I am going to have to rely on the internet to get what I need to start wet shaving.

I imagine finding shaving amenities it in Japan is going to be something of a crap shoot. On one hand, the culture seems more dispossessed to be using something quick and disposable. On the other hand, the Japanese are by and large craftsmen with an appreciation for the well made and time tested, and I have seen more then a few impressive Japanese products here from hones to straight razors.

Does anyone here have any leads for the Yokohama - Tokyo area?

Hey there,

I'm also based in the Tokyo/Yokohama area, and am just getting into wetshaving... but I've been checking prices online, and the shipping costs are insane.

The department stores here have shaving equipment, but it tends to be quite expensive (they don't have much mid to low-range stuff). Razor blades should be fairly easy, I think, but everything else looks like it may be pretty expensive, unless there's somewhere else to shop...

You posted your message a while ago, so I'm assuming you're back in-country. Did you find anything?

Cheers,

Quaiti

Welcome to the mix, Quaiti!
As far as shaving stuff goes I'm going to stick with ordering online...out in town there's lots of Gillette/Shick multibladed-disposable-vibrating razors as well as some local products gels & gloop in a can but nothing to the degree of what you can find elsewhere....except for Feather blades...

Thanks, gentlemen, for the warm welcome.

Actually, Royal Crown was nice enough to give me a quick tour of wetshaving options yesterday in Yokohama, and I'm totally set up now (wasn't expecting that to happen for a few weeks yet).

Incidentally: Tried my first DE shave last night, and as slowly and as carefully as I took it, I still cut the hell out of my neck. However, the Alum block and Nivea aftershave saved me from bleeding out, and I'll be healed up enough to try again in a day or two.

I don't actually think my technique was too awful-- it certainly wasn't perfect, but I used a very light touch. I think I mainly need to work on my lathering skills in order to protect my precious skin. I found the lathering from soap tutorial in the forums, so I'll follow that next time (the how-to I found assumed that I was using a cream).

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be investigating the site elveeskee posted (since I can kind of read Japanese), and lurking around the forums.

Q.

The pleasure was mine Quaiti, the neck can be very tricky but if you keep at it and learn from your expirience then you will be fine.

Thank you for posting that link elveeskee, I still need to make it up there (along with the Penhaligon's store that is somewhere in Tokyo as well.)

I'm new to wetshaving as well. Unlike some of the other Japan posters, however, I'm in Nagoya. I get the feeling I'll have a much harder time because of it. If there are any places in Osaka/Nagoya, I really hope I can find them (and post about them) as my trips to Tokyo/Yokohama will be infrequent.

Try Tokyu Hands, they carry Institute Karite, as far as the drug store products, I have yet to try any besides the 4711 Portugal AS which is terrific IMO.

I didn't read your post until getting home around 8, but I just knew to stop by Tokyu Hands and give it a look anyway.
The shave brushes were crazily priced, but they had Merkur Super blades, Feathers of course, as well as 2 merkur shavers. (i think they were not adjustables)
I had to run out of there as soon as I found the display case, had to go meet a friend.
I went to a Valour shop earlier, and they only had injector blade packs, not much else.
Thanks for the advice though.

Hi Koudou,

The prices in general are pretty crazy here. It seems that a lot of the shaving supplies (at Tokyu Hands, the department stores, and amazon.co.jp) are handled by a company called Kamisori Club (http://www.kamisoriclub.co.jp/), which means the prices are pretty much the same across the board (with Tokyu Hands actually being on the cheaper end).

If you poke around various drugstores, you should be able to find that aftershave that RoyalCrown mentioned, and feather blades (half the price that they are at Tokyu Hands).

Cheers,

Q.

I gave kamisori a look.
You were right. I saw this model in Tokyu Hands.
I do wish they had had some of the other acrylic line models, or even the wood line.
I'll try some other drug stores too. I know other forum members are all about feather blades, but I reeeaally want to avoid using anything that sharp for a good long while. I may go with merkur blades from Tokyu or a sampler pack purchased online or through the fourm.

I really need to get up to Kamisori and feed my SSAD. I am really curious about this tea soap of theirs.

An actual soap exists here? Then yes, my friend, you MUST go there.

A trip to Maruei turned up some results. Sorry if I'm just mentioning something everyone already knows.

A trip up a few escalators led me to the menswear section, and the Aramis line of products. After reading reviews here, I know to avoid any products used *during* a shave.
Thanks to a review from JimR, I found a few Shiseido products on my way out of the place. First was the Bravas aftershave, and then their higher-end Shiseido Men line. I think I'd only go with the aftershave.

I'd hoped I could swim against the tide, but it seems I'll have to resort to importing after all. It's nice to know that the pre/post shave products are out there should I ever want them, of course. What's odd to me is that, considering the attention Japanese give to quality/detail, good shave products whether import or not don't seem to exist here in great variety.

{snip}
I'd hoped I could swim against the tide, but it seems I'll have to resort to importing after all. It's nice to know that the pre/post shave products are out there should I ever want them, of course. What's odd to me is that, considering the attention Japanese give to quality/detail, good shave products whether import or not don't seem to exist here in great variety.

First, that's only one side of the coin--the other, much strong side, is NEW. Japan loves NEW stuff. That's why you can get a 7 year old car for nothing.
That's why there a new car MODEL is much more expensive than an older model (and I mean the NAME. A Suzuki WagonR is much cheaper than a Pallette because WagonR production began before a Pallette, regardless of the actual car's age).
DE shaving isn't new, it's old, so it's no good.

As for the Soap, I'm also interested...thinking of making an order pretty soon. You can get it off the site pretty easily, if your Japanese is kind of ok or you know how to use popjisyo.

Funny you should mention that, I will be up in Tokyo for quite a bit of time in a week when my Mother and Uncle get here. I am definitely going to try and squeeze some time to get there...after I have a friend give me directions, as my Japanese skills are embarrassing. If I make it shall I grab you a puck?

First, that's only one side of the coin--the other, much strong side, is NEW. Japan loves NEW stuff.

Aint that the truth. I had to laugh this year when I climbed Fuji to see all the folks in there brand new 2008 Mont-Bell and North Face gear. By the way some of them were huffing and puffing (oxygen bottles at 3000m? Come on folks) I am guessing that much of it will not be used again. Ski season seems more like a fashion show as well.

Wow Jim R, I dunno how I missed that review.
I got it thinking it was something you didn't cover.
Oh well, maybe I can exchange it for that Bravas aftershave or something.
Fingers are crossed...

Wow Jim R, I dunno how I missed that review.
I got it thinking it was something you didn't cover.
Oh well, maybe I can exchange it for that Bravas aftershave or something.
Fingers are crossed...

Try. The Bravas just keeps making me happy--and the wife love it.

If you can't, you might give it a try. Your skin might like it better than mine. Keep in mind, it's a brushless cream.
Daiso also has brushless creams, I haven't had the juevos to try them.

Top Bottom