What's new

Shaving superstitions

Got any? Lucky shaving shirt? Magic towel? Special number of brush swirls?

I noticed I like shaving tools to be aligned and ordered the same way every time so I can begin shaving comfortably. I was doing it subconsciously but now I see myself doing it. I guess it helps me get in the 'zone' like a baseball player, or a surgeon. :001_cool:

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a lucky end of the razor.

If I hold the razor by the lucky end, I get a good shave. But if I hold the other end, I get a crap shave ... aaaand my hand gets all cut up.

I have a lucky end of the razor.

If I hold the razor by the lucky end, I get a good shave. But if I hold the other end, I get a crap shave ... aaaand my hand gets all cut up.

Exactly. If I use the razor before applying the lather I get a craply shave too! For some reason it always has to be lather first.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ha no.

The only superstition I've ever heard about shaving was about not letting your razor sit in a windowsill in the moonlight. Seem those magic moon-rays will dull your blade.

Then again there are other things I've read on this site that seem to me are about obsessive cleaning that seem more superstition than science but who knows. I kinda figure things that can kill germs etc. will not do me much good if they get into my system. Sure you say. . . wear gloves. Then again folk get allergic to gloves.

I have a weird take on things . . . I believe in vaccination very much. I'd rather stay out of strong sun than to slather on spf sun screen . . . but will use it if I have to be in the strong sun.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was raised with superstitions about everything.

One was: a gifted knife will cut you. So if we get a knife as a gift at Christmas, birthday times, etc, we have to give the giver a penny.

I suppose the same would apply to razors and blades?

There are shaving gnomes that secretly dull the blade in a razor if the razor sits unused for a few weeks. This has happened to me more than once. I think the shaving gnomes live in the clothes dryer with the dryer gnomes that steal single socks.

The only superstition I've ever heard about shaving was about not letting your razor sit in a windowsill in the moonlight. Seem those magic moon-rays will dull your blade.

From what I hear, Wolfman razors actually give a wicked shave after they've sat on a moonlit windowsill all night long. After that, they're really howling to go in the morning.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There are shaving gnomes that secretly dull the blade in a razor if the razor sits unused for a few weeks. This has happened to me more than once. I think the shaving gnomes live in the clothes dryer with the dryer gnomes that steal single socks.

1575655918436.png

We may have figured out Phase 2

Only stupidstition I subscribe to is tossing a blade that draws blood. Even a nick . . .

Straight razors are going to be an expensive hobby for you.

If I remove the lid from the soap can and place it so that the soap logo will be visible to me when I shave, then I will shave badly) Checked.

They're using the blades to cut up the socks, that's why they're dull.

Top Bottom