What's new

Shaving sticks?!

Valobra stick ? Where can I get this ?
Palmolive stick are really amazing
There was a corporate buy-out. The company that makes Proraso bought the Valobra company in late 2018. We have not seen new stock for a long time, and no one seems to know what the future plans are. There are a few shops that have some Valobra shaving soaps in stock, but they are getting hard to find. The Valobra shaving products also got much more expensive than they were.

Last edited:
My favorites in order are La Toja, Palmolive, Arko. I like them especially when I'm sporting a goatie because you just apply to the shaving areas specifically and build a lather with your fingers. Quick and easy.

You know, when you think of it, back in the day it was quite common to use a soap puck like a shave stick. The old style shave scuttles had a spot on top to set your soap puck to dry after you rubbed it on your whiskers. Then you would take your brush and build a lather. Genius really.

Well tried the La Toja stick for the first time this morning. Love it. Absolutely dig the scent and the performance was super. @BudgetShaverGuy you were right, a dab will do ya. It surprised me how little it took to get a face full of lather. But man, that scent is great. I pick up some tobacco smell in there. I was expecting a little of that from Tabac and was surprised when I didn't detect it. Anyway, glad to be a part of the La Toja love fest. Good stuff people!

Oh one thing I meant to ask. The stick has a bit of foil wrapped around the bottom. I find it doesn't quite fit snugly into the green base handle they provide. Even when I pushed it in kind of hard. So I just held it by the foil when applying it to my face then place it on the base when done. Do you guys keep the foil on or remove it and push the soap into the handle?

IMG_2770.jpg

Well tried the La Toja stick for the first time this morning. Love it. Absolutely dig the scent and the performance was super. @BudgetShaverGuy you were right, a dab will do ya. It surprised me how little it took to get a face full of lather. But man, that scent is great. I pick up some tobacco smell in there. I was expecting a little of that from Tabac and was surprised when I didn't detect it. Anyway, glad to be a part of the La Toja love fest. Good stuff people!

Oh one thing I meant to ask. The stick has a bit of foil wrapped around the bottom. I find it doesn't quite fit snugly into the green base handle they provide. Even when I pushed it in kind of hard. So I just held it by the foil when applying it to my face then place it on the base when done. Do you guys keep the foil on or remove it and push the soap into the handle?

View attachment 1078926

So glad to hear you enjoyed it! I love the scent too, so relaxing, nice and warm. It's a killer soap that will last a long time if you use it sparingly.

Take the foil off if it's preventing the stick from going all the way into the base. The foil provides good grip while applying it though so I would just remove enough foil at the base so you can get it in there good, leave the rest if you can for grip.

So glad to hear you enjoyed it! I love the scent too, so relaxing, nice and warm. It's a killer soap that will last a long time if you use it sparingly.

Take the foil off if it's preventing the stick from going all the way into the base. The foil provides good grip while applying it though so I would just remove enough foil at the base so you can get it in there good, leave the rest if you can for grip.
I ended up removing the foil all the way actually. Now it fits nice and snug in the base and I'm able to hold it with a nice grip. I have it next to me in my home office so I can take a whiff every now and then. That's normal right?! :biggrin1::biggrin1:

LaToja could be my only soap if it came down to it. Its that good. Funny how that cheap little stick outperforms so many expensive artisan soaps...

LaToja could be my only soap if it came down to it. Its that good. Funny how that cheap little stick outperforms so many expensive artisan soaps...
I must say I was surprised at how well it lathered. This may actually beat Arko. Will have to have more shaves with it to really tell. But man, love the scent!

Btw, that's a habanero we're looking at in your profile pic right?

I must say I was surprised at how well it lathered. This may actually beat Arko. Will have to have more shaves with it to really tell. But man, love the scent!

Btw, that's a habanero we're looking at in your profile pic right?

correct. habanero indeed

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
GZD Berber, it's a Turkish stick like Arko. Very similar, though I prefer it by a tad. The main reason is it is softer. As a daily shaver I don't like hard sticks rubbing on my face. If I have two or three days of growth (rare) it doesn't bother so much. Daily the softer the better when it comes to sticks. Most of the sticks I have have been grated and put in a bowl.

I’ve bought the stick, given it a fair shot, and sold it. I did not have the amazing experience so many have had.

Bought it again and gave it another shot yesterday. I had 3 days growth. No doubt that aided in a good first load. I went heavy.

I did get a good shave. Great? Nah. Pretty good? Yes. I do like the scent. I will give it a few more tries. I might clip off a bit and press into my Captains Choice bowl and load it that way next time.

I’ll keep trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom