What's new

Shaving sticks?!

Depending on how you look at it, soap pucks could really be shaving sticks with a different shape; they are just very short shaving sticks with a very large diameter. Shaving discs...
:laugh:
True, you could do it that way and I have before, it's just not as convenient.

I carry a Valobra stick when I travel. Never used any of the others. The Valobra does a great job rubbed on my wet face and followed by the brush. The stick fits in an old pill bottle.

A relative of mine in England sent me some Palmolive shave sticks a couple years ago and that are great. The lather it produces is impressive.

I carry a Valobra stick when I travel. Never used any of the others. The Valobra does a great job rubbed on my wet face and followed by the brush. The stick fits in an old pill bottle.

That is what I do with ARKO sticks. My travel stick lives in a twist up container from West Coast Shaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I only tend to use sticks for travel/stopping with friends/family, and I only use Palmolive sticks. I only use those because they're cheap, and do the job well enough that I don't need to try anything else. It's very rare that I use them at home.

I wish sticks hadn't disappeared from the shelves here; I'd love to be able to walk into the store and buy one, as they are my favorite way to use soap. It's much easier to make a consistent lather with a stick and they're convenient for travel.

I've tried a few sticks over the last dozen years or so. My favorite was Irisch Moos, closely followed by Palmolive and Ogallala Bay Rum. I used to melt Van der Hagen into a twist-up container for DIY sticks which worked amazingly well. A member here once sent me a Boots stick which I really enjoyed. Currently, I've got a couple of D.R. Harris sticks in the drawer waiting for my other soaps and cremes to be used up and at that point, I'll probably stay with the stick format.
To be able to walk into a drug store or super market and buy any kind of soap would be so cool. A lot of folks are very used to buying just about everything from Amazon or other online sites but I do miss the ability to walk into a store and buy shaving supplies. God I sound like such an old man but it’s true! 😆

I don’t know if they are still on eBay but I bought a vintage metal shave stick container that Palmolive used to sell. I paid around $15 for it.

There's something really cool about the way the lather explodes after you start whirling the brush over your face after applying a stick.

They're great for travel, too - especially when you use a seal able plastic tube.
Face lathering with sticks is probably my favorite way to shave. Especially on work days when I'm in a hurry to get out the door.

I have only tried Arko and Derby stick, so far. I prefer Arko. Also have Speik and Palmolive stick on hand. Ready to go into the rotation. Look forward to trying them.
Shaving sticks are great, and really give up very little to canned cream for convenience. I use one when I'm in a hurry. I love Speick. I have found that when shaving daily I prefer to bowl lather and not use a stick as it is kinder to my skin.
All of this are great reasons for shave sticks. I use mine for travel.

It should amaze you :D what I really like about it is big diameter...few quick rubs on wet face and you are good to go
Just shaved with it for the first time this morning! Absolutely lovely lather. And yes, the wide stick is excellent. Really all sticks should be that wide. The scent really surprised me tho. I didn't expect that much of a floral perfume-type of scent. I'm sure it'll grown on me. It doesn't turn me off but it is very perfume-like. I thought there'd be some tobacco scent in there. Anyway, will be shaving with the Tabac for the next few days!

IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG

Just shaved with it for the first time this morning! Absolutely lovely lather. And yes, the wide stick is excellent. Really all sticks should be that wide. The scent really surprised me tho. I didn't expect that much of a floral perfume-type of scent. I'm sure it'll grown on me. It doesn't turn me off but it is very perfume-like. I thought there'd be some tobacco scent in there. Anyway, will be shaving with the Tabac for the next few days!

View attachment 1065113View attachment 1065114
You didn't get the container, that's a shame, it's one of the best ones out there.

Yes, I bought a pair of them a few months ago. What would you like to know about them?
If there any good I guess. I'm a long time Arco user but I like to try something else from time to time. I'm usually disappointed though. I tossed a Palmolive stick after three shaves, dried my skin out.

If there any good I guess. I'm a long time Arco user but I like to try something else from time to time. I'm usually disappointed though. I tossed a Palmolive stick after three shaves, dried my skin out.

I find Palmolive much more dense than Arko. Less product goes a long way and can handle tons of water. If you can see a thick film of white on your face before you start lathering you’re using way too much product.

Overloaded under-hydrated lather will dry you out every time, especially if you follow with alcohol based splash.

Wilkinson sticks are very good. They use a tallow-based soap with lanolin and glycerine added. Imagine a stick that is like a cross between Tabac and Mitchell's Wool Fat, but smells like marine bath soap from a hotel, with an electric blue color. Fortunately, the lather is white instead of blue, that would be strange. There is a lot of residual slickness when using this soap and it can be a bit difficult to rinse off with the lanolin. I imagine it would be good with a shavette.

Note: the stick is a completely different soap from the Wilkinson blue tub. The tub is not very good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom