What's new

Shaving sticks?!

They are a matter of personal preference. I used them quite a bit - until I started shaving my head and went to regular soaps.

My favorite was Tabac, DR Harris, and Valobra. You can also make your own shave sticks with your favorite soaps.

Tutorial - how to use a shaving stick - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/40-Tutorial-how-to-use-a-shaving-stick

They are a matter of personal preference. I used them quite a bit - until I started shaving my head and went to regular soaps.

My favorite was Tabac, DR Harris, and Valobra. You can also make your own shave sticks with your favorite soaps.

Tutorial - how to use a shaving stick - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/40-Tutorial-how-to-use-a-shaving-stick

Thanks Ackvil!

I love sticks, definitely good for travel, or for a quick shave.

Make sure your face is wet. Soak the end of the soap stick in warm water for a minute or so. Apply an even coat of soap to the beard, you will learn how much through trial and error. Take a damp brush and build the lather on the face. Add water to the brush two, three, four times to get the right consistency. You should have enough lather in the brush for three passes plus touch-ups.

Synthetic brushes work very well, but any brush will do.

Some good info in the posts above. My personal favorite sticks are La Toja, Speick and Wilkinson Sword. You can also make your own sticks from any hard shaving soap. Haslinger works very well.

Lots of choices. Speick, Palmolive, and La Toja are great and also a good value.

As mentioned above, any soap can be made into a stick.

I love my Arko and Derby sticks. I don't use any special holders, I just peel off the wrapper they came in as I use them or take them off completely and wrap in foil to the level I like. Yes, very uncouth but works fine for me :)

I typically just wet my face and lightly cover my whiskers with the stick. I find if I press the stick too hard into my face the soap doesn't get applied evenly. So I go lightly and use the water on my face to glide the stick over the skin. Then you can add water with your brush as you start to face lather. And some folks just slice off a disc from the stick and bowl lather but I prefer to face lather with them. Hope you enjoy the sticks if you try them!

One of my favorite soaps that is unfortunately no longer in production was a stick. Sir Irisch Moos. From the same company that makes Tabac, but with a 'green' scent.

I like and own a few other nice sticks. DR Harris Marlborough, Speick, Derby, Arko, Palmolive, and LaToja. I also have a VDH puck I melted down into a stick that is good for traveling, though these days I usually take the LaToja as I prefer the scent and performance.

I love sticks, definitely good for travel, or for a quick shave.

Make sure your face is wet. Soak the end of the soap stick in warm water for a minute or so. Apply an even coat of soap to the beard, you will learn how much through trial and error. Take a damp brush and build the lather on the face. Add water to the brush two, three, four times to get the right consistency. You should have enough lather in the brush for three passes plus touch-ups.

Synthetic brushes work very well, but any brush will do.

Some good info in the posts above. My personal favorite sticks are La Toja, Speick and Wilkinson Sword. You can also make your own sticks from any hard shaving soap. Haslinger works very well.
Brilliant, thankyou Sir! 😀

Legion

Staff member
This is good advice for anybody who's curious about trying a shaving stick. Just rub a puck of soap on your face and you get the same basic effect.
I have used sticks exclusively for several years, after having decided they are the quickest, easiest, and most consistent way to go. In fact, in an attempt to use my stockpile of soap, my current “stick” is half a puck of MWF, wrapped in foil.

face lather, for the win.

I have used sticks exclusively for several years, after having decided they are the quickest, easiest, and most consistent way to go. In fact, in an attempt to use my stockpile of soap, my current “stick” is half a puck of MWF, wrapped in foil.

face lather, for the win.
Excellent! Just about to order a stick of Arko to get things going!!! 😎

OP you are in a for a treat as you explore the world of shaving sticks! I have to say I really enjoyed this recent review thread - it put a few on my personal todo list:

[Oops - just noticed that was already posted by Ackvil, but I reckon it's worth posting twice :biggrin1: ]

Sure! It is a great performer. The scent is divisive, but I have never had a problem with it. One of the best value soaps, IMO.
Yeah I've read that l'm looking forward to seeing which side I land on....some love here for DR Harris as well, although price per weight is poor value versus even their own tube of cream or jars/refills...

Shaving sticks may be the easiest way to build a lather.

All I do is rub the stick over my wet face, then go to town with my brush! EASY/PEASY!! :a29:

My favorites are La Toja (perfect for travel as it has a great container and works in most any water) and Speick.

Shave sticks are awesome and what I would recommend to a new person. It’s easier to be consistent and make lather with shave stick film.

3 best in no particular order:

La Toja
Tabac
Taylor of Old Bond St

Top Bottom