What's new

Shaving Sticks: As is or mashed into a bowl?

Greetings, Lads!

I know shaving sticks are a popular item here and I am interested in indulging but was wondering what the general consensus is in terms of leaving them in stick form vs mashing them up into a bowl for brush loading.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Greg

Doubt you would find a consensus, but I mashed mine immediately...and then regretted it and had to get new sticks! So I say use them for a while in stick form, and only if you then decide you would rather load soap off of a puck should you mash them.

I found that I like the variety, and I have plenty of pucks to load off of.

If it comes in puck form and is the same formula then why not just buy a puck/refill? You will more than likely end up with more than twice the product for only a fraction more.

D.R. Harris Arlington Shaving Stick: 40g, $13.75
D.R. Harris Arlington Shaving Soap Refill: 100g, $15.00
(Prices from WCS)

Seems like a no-brainer IMO.

Edit: Was saying why you shouldn't mill into bowl, not that you shouldn't buy sticks at all.

Last edited:
I prefer mine in stick form. I have taken Palmolive and Speick and grated them into a bowl. However, I have found that I really like using the shave stick as it is.

Sticks aren't particularly economical, so I wouldn't advise buying one unless you intend to use it as such.

Use the sticks as they come....in sticks.

Milling is OK but why mill it at all ?

So much more convenient to lightly rub the stick on yoir stubble and brush away for rich lather.

No complications...no issues !!

Vijay

If you like Speick soap, you have no choice but to mill it. I don't like the shaving stick idea, I find it kind of annoying rubbing soap against my stubble.

I find myself treating pucks as shave sticks these days - pick the whole thing up and rub it on your face for a few seconds. The shape is great for holding onto, and the larger surface area means you can coat your whole face in 10 seconds!

Greetings, Lads!

I know shaving sticks are a popular item here and I am interested in indulging but was wondering what the general consensus is in terms of leaving them in stick form vs mashing them up into a bowl for brush loading.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Greg

As is. That's the whole point. If you want it mashed up in a bowl, just buy the puck. (notable exception could be Valobra which is a lovely hard tallow stick, but the "puck" isn't tallow (iirc) and is more of a firm putty).

Use the sticks as they come....in sticks.
Milling is OK but why mill it at all ?
So much more convenient to lightly rub the stick on yoir stubble and brush away for rich lather.
No complications...no issues !!
Vijay

I hate shaving sticks. I don't like rubbing them on my face. I prefer to load my brush first. Unfortunately, Speick does not sell their soap in puck form. It only comes in baby size sticks. Milling the sticks and pressing them into my favorite mug makes using that great soap so much more enjoyable for me. YMMV

I would never violate a shave stick by milling or grating it. They're too much fun to use as intended.

I could never do that to my Irisch Moos.

I prefer mine in stick form. I have taken Palmolive and Speick and grated them into a bowl. However, I have found that I really like using the shave stick as it is.

I really like Palmolive SS but wanted to try it like a puck and grated it as stated above and now regret it. I will never do that again!:frown2:

I find myself treating pucks as shave sticks these days - pick the whole thing up and rub it on your face for a few seconds. The shape is great for holding onto, and the larger surface area means you can coat your whole face in 10 seconds!

*breathes sigh of relief*

I thought I was the only one!

I've come to like sticks so much that I doubt that I will be buying any pucks in the future.

I think it's totally a personal choice. I for one don't really like the idea of a shave stick so when I received my Irisch Moos I just milled it into a nice container. If you like sticks buy sticks and if you like pucks then buy them in puck form.

I use a shave stick for travel, but generally prefer loading from a puck. I have been using a La Toja stick for travel lately.

I have the following shave sticks milled into puck form, out of necessity:
-Speick
-Valobra

For travel; shave sticks

At home: pucks.

Now once I get my hands on Valobra this may change-there's always an exception to the rule.:blush:

marty

Top Bottom