What's new

shaving stick or shaving puck

Which do you prefer, a shave stick or shaving soap puck?

• shave stick

• shaving soap puck

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
So far I've only tried arko shaving stick and prorasso red.
I prefer prorasso soap to arko but I think I prefer a shave stick to a shaving soap bowl or puck.
I face lather, tends to be faster and less messy with a shave stick.
I also shave in the shower, haven't bleed out yet and after about 6 months of de shaving with a de89, i think i got it under control.

but what am i missing by not using a puck and bowl?
to my limited knowledge shave stick seems easier and less wasted soap.
i think the puck is a little bit better value than a stick though.

Last edited:
It is just a matter of preference really. I prefer using a puck but I use a stick to travel. More soaps are available in puck form, so by limiting yourself to sticks, you will miss out on a lot. Unless you purchase a stick holder from WCS and grate the soaps into stick form. That's if you decide you just want to stay with sticks of course.

i'm thinking la toja might be for me.
it has a nice container for the stick.

i want to try cella next but its not in a stick form.
i love coconut oil/smell.

i'm thinking la toja might be for me.
it has a nice container for the stick.

i want to try cella next but its not in a stick form.
i love coconut oil/smell.

La Toja has good performance but I did not enjoy the smell. Cella will not smell like coconuts, but it will smell like sweet cherry almond. This is one of the beauties you will be missing out on if you stay with sticks only.

I use both and each have their place. I prefer sticks when face lathering and while travelling. Also a lot of sticks are tallow based and produce a very nice lather.

Variety is only available if you diversify. Soaps, shave sticks, shave creams. You need to experience them all.

You can re-form one into the other. Some soaps can be melted, others you have to grate. You can also just use one like the other. I face-loaded a puck recently, I rubbed it on my face just like I would with a stick. (I then proceeded to bowl lather too, for a one-soap pseudo-superlather.) I've heard of loading a brush from a stick and then bowl-lathering but I'm not sure how that works.

Anyway, poll is missing option "both".

I use both. I do prefer sticks for head shaving as they are easier to use in the shower, but I've become a huge fan of croaps as well.

I have five sticks and about a dozen pucks and like both. I use the pucks a little more often, but sticks are what made me switch from creams to soaps. For the first couple of years that I wet shaved, I bowl lathered creams almost exclusively. I tried a couple pucks of Classic Shaving Company's soaps, but preferred TOBS and Proraso creams. Four years ago, a free stick of Arko that was included with an order of razor blades converted me to where I almost exclusively face lather soaps.

Top Bottom