What's new

Shaving Statistics

• Thread starter PortsmouthDavid
  • Start date
P

PortsmouthDavid

Does anyone know what percentage of men who shave do so with a DE?

Anyone have any reliable statistics about this?

Also, how about different countries, like USA, Britain, India, Brazil, etc.?

Gillette certainly wants a 100% world blade market share for the $3 / cartridge Fusion, but I'm hoping that the traditional DE is still a force, at least in markets outside the USA and Europe.

Let's hope that the DE blades will be manufactured for the forseeable future (maybe even gain market share because of the ridiculously high price of the cartridges!!!).

Any information appreciated.

David

Interesting reflections David. I know that there has been a resurgence of the DE on the Indian subcontinent. Gillette, amongst others, has invested in building a position there.

We work in third world countries developing reading materials. In one of the "ABC" books we did in Africa we had the artist draw a picture of a men's razor. He drew a double edged razor blade. We asked if he should draw the handle too, but he said they just hold the blade in their fingers. Then he told us that their men didn't actually use DE blades because they were too expensive, so instead they used a broken piece of glass. :eek: But the picture he drew was correct, because when you said their word for razor ("ninga") they would think of a DE blade.

So, it's my belief that the majority of 2nd and 3 world countries still use the DE blades, except for the very wealthy. I think this is why we are getting the better blades from overseas.

Broken glass, anyone?

I've actually seen a research paper about shaving statistics world-wide for sale on Amazon.com for ~$300.

mantic said:
I've actually seen a research paper about shaving statistics world-wide for sale on Amazon.com for ~$300.

Do you have any info about this report (ISBN, etc...?). I don't plan on purchasing any $300 book, but I have access to several university libraries and I have found stranger things.

So,

I've looked through the catalogues of the libraries that I have easy access to (either directly of through a close friend or family member) and it looks like I can't get this report. I can, however, get "The 2000-2005 world outlook for conservation and development facilities" or "The 2003-2008 world outlook for professional computer services" but I doubt that these would be of much use here. If there are any university students, staff or professors out there amongst the rank and file of B&B they should consult the catalogues of their respective universities and see if we can find this paper without having to spend $800 for it.

Title: The 2003-2008 World Outlook for Shaving Products

Date Published: 2002-10-07
Pages: 226
ISBN: 0597863822

I found the ISBN and other info, here.

http://www.icongrouponline.com/browse/WorldO/0597863822.html

There are also reports on Men’s Cream Shaving Preparations, Men’s Oil Shaving Preparations, Men’s Post-shave Products, Men’s Pre-shave Products, Men’s Razors and Blades. I'm sure there are more. I didn't look at the full list.

JoAnna

You do realize this is market research. The average person isn't going to buy this. And by average, I mean anyone who isn't Rik. Companies and corporations use this info.

JoAnna

While I don't think this would make a good read, I'd like to see what the DE market is like around the globe.

FWIW, I talked to Charles at QED on the phone a few months ago and asked him this very question: "What percentage of folks do you (charles) think are using DE and Straight razors?"

His response was that he didn't know for sure, but gauging on the new business QED was consistantly getting, he said that number had to be rising drastically. His thoughts were "people are finally standing around, pulling their heads out of their asses and saying 'wait a sec, why the hell am I spending $3-$4 on a razor blade. Isn't there something cheaper?'"

He said that his new sales are through the roof. I'm sure Classic Shaving is the same way.

Maybe you'd try contacting those companies and just ask them some basic field questions:

1. How are sales now compared to 5 years ago?
2. How much of your business is NEW business, not repeat?
3. How much of your business is repeat business?
4. What are you selling the most of? Creams, Soaps, Razors, Brushes?

I mean, you could get a feel for it, I'm sure. I did hear a news report sometime around when Gillette launched the new Fusion that electric razor sales were at an all-time low.

Are there any university students, staff or faculty out there? If so, please check the library catalogue at your school - you may have access to this report (and if so, then you can share some infor with the rest of us). The universities that I have access to have other reports by ICON Group International so maybe your school has this one... I mean, somebody has to have it, right?

NMMB,

I'm a university student, yes. However, my time at the University will be limited until mid August when the fall term restarts. I think I'll be over there maybe 2-3 more times until then at the most. But let me see if I can electronically search my library files online.

If I can't, I'll certainly check when I get back over there.

Justso said:
NMMB,

I'm a university student, yes. However, my time at the University will be limited until mid August when the fall term restarts. I think I'll be over there maybe 2-3 more times until then at the most. But let me see if I can electronically search my library files online.

If I can't, I'll certainly check when I get back over there.

Most schools allow you to search the catalogue via the internet... and where this is an e-book it may be possible to actually access the report through your school via the internet (supposing that your school has the report). I hope that you have more luck finding it than I did.

In the interest of promoting shaving knowledge, I did search my university library catalog and LexisNexis. I've found nothing more than we all know at the present. Sorry. - Justin

Top Bottom