What's new

Shaving soaps spin on my shaving bowl.

I use a large 4" shaving bowl to store soaps and load soaps from.
When I load a soap from the bowl, the soap spins, and small soap fragments split off.
This feels wasteful.
How can I prevent small soap fragments from splitting off from the main body?

Well, if you wet the bottom of the puck and push it down onto a flat surface (hopefully the bottom of the bowl) it will stick after a while. The soap fragments, on the other hand, I have never heard of being an issue, unless the soap has been mostly used to the point of being a very thin doughnut.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I wonder if grating the soap would help? It may make the soap adhere better to itself as far as the stray pieces go. Or if it comes apart, the pieces would be much less noticeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have had soap spin in different containers, as said a bit of water on bottom or side. I also hold the bowl at an angle, stops the spin. Not sure about fragments, but I would load less and scrape the fragments with the brush, if you build the lather in separate mug or bowl.

Well, if you wet the bottom of the puck and push it down onto a flat surface (hopefully the bottom of the bowl) it will stick after a while. The soap fragments, on the other hand, I have never heard of being an issue, unless the soap has been mostly used to the point of being a very thin doughnut.

The bottom of my shaving bowl is flat. It's actually a shaving mug. Do you suggest compressing the soap vertically so that it fills the bottom?

Just, grate some from the bottom of your soap, press the grated soap on the bottomof your bowl/mug, add a couple drops of water and press the soap on top and lather away!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
What's worked for me so far, is plate the bowl down and hold the puck steady with your free hand while you load. You only need to do this for a couple of shaves. The run off water from the brush, and the runoff lather, will "glue" the puck in places after a few shaves, and you should be able to load with the bowl in hand thereafter.

Empty and clean the bowl. Let dry and put down several blobs of JB Weld. Let cure. Re-install soap. Press down firmly.

JB Weld fixes everything...

If I was going to use blobs of glue I'd put them on the wall of the mug, like the bumps they have in Old Spice mugs.
I use a large 4" shaving bowl to store soaps and load soaps from.
When I load a soap from the bowl, the soap spins, and small soap fragments split off.
This feels wasteful.
How can I prevent small soap fragments from splitting off from the main body?
Is it the same bowl and soap every day, or do you rotate between several? What I'm really asking is whether it has a chance to dry out.

Is it the same bowl and soap every day, or do you rotate between several? What I'm really asking is whether it has a chance to dry out.

I use the same mug and soap every day. But, I cover the mug with a 4 inch cup lid after shaving so that soap doesn't dry out completely.

I shave everyday.

Last edited:
Empty and clean the bowl. Let dry and put down several blobs of JB Weld. Let cure. Re-install soap. Press down firmly.

JB Weld fixes everything...

I agree -JB Weld does fix darn near everything.
Some members glue a coin to the bottom of their mugs/bowls to build lather quickly. I imagine the coin would keep a soap puck from spinning too. Glue the coin down with JB Weld, and it will never come off.

Top Bottom