What's new

Shaving soaps or creams

First I’ve heard of using bar soap to shave. I’m not brave enough to try that…lol. I do the traditional full shave routine every day. I work from home so I don’t have to get up super early to get my shave in. I can do it whenever I have time. Most days I shower and shave after I take the kids to school.

The only time I shave with bar soap,
is when I shave in the shower.

I use Ivory soap.
I soap up my face and brush my teeth.
Then I rinse off and resoap my face and wash my hair.
Then I soap my face again and shave with a Super Speed.
No brush, no mirror, it's extremely easy.

I as originally a soap person myself, but as I've shaved more frequently, I find the ease of cream to be better. Good method on the straight razor means I end up with the same result either way really.

The only time I shave with bar soap,
is when I shave in the shower.

I use Ivory soap.
I soap up my face and brush my teeth.
Then I rinse off and resoap my face and wash my hair.
Then I soap my face again and shave with a Super Speed.
No brush, no mirror, it's extremely easy.

And except for not shaving with the Super Speed,
that's my preshave routine when I shave with a straight razor.

I've used bar soap many a time. I have also used Jergins body lotion. I got to reading the ingredients of some of the designer shave creams, such as Lagerfeld, Cline, and others, and the Jergins lotion was the same. With a softened beard, it works okay, not great, but okay in a pinch. In the woods I am not going to take a bowl and brush and soap. I want something to slap on and go for it. So, bar soap or lotion it is when camping. I don't lather the bar soap. I wet my face and rub the soap on so that it is slick and thick.

I have used shaving soaps, and I actually prefer the creams, but after trying a couple of over the counter, reasonably priced creams, I'm done with all of it. I started on this journey just using store bought bar soap, and I'm going back to it. Yeah, some of the soaps, and creams I bought were nice, but I am not an affictionado of any of them. Not spending $20 on a puck, or less, when I can get the same, or better shave from the bar soap sitting on my bathroom sink. Just me, and not trying to sound cheap, but I have spent a few bucks on this hobby, and although I enjoy a great shave as much as the next guy, and the ME time this style of shaving affords, I am going back to the soap I started this journey on. I hardly ever use my brush anymore, except for a weekend shave. During the week I love using my DE, in the morning, just don't use the brush that much, with the time I have. Work up a lather in my hands, wash my face, rinse, lather up again with the soap I wash my face, and I get a really close shave, that is close, not irritating, and leaves my face feeling smooth. A good rinse, and pat dry. Apply my after shave, and on my way. Time is just not on my side in the morning, and I'm not getting up 30-45 minutes earlier just to do all that traditional shaving stuff, and the clean up of the brush, and the bowl. Nice on the weekend, when time is not the enemy. Like I said, I started using bar soap when I got my first DE razor, and I am happy with it at this time. The blades I use are Wilkinson Sword from Germany, and they give me a close, comfortable shave. The Wilkie is paired with my Parker 91R, and is a great combination, with never any irritation. I love all things DE, just not for me to spend a lot of money doing this morning necessity. Possibly when I retire, I will look at this again, with more time on my hands. At this time, I am very comfortable using the soap on the sink...
Years ago I had the same thoughts about shaving as you. As time went on I stuck with shave soap and a brush like I was taught. I have a good routine down and not much time on work week mornings. So, once out of the shower it only takes me about 15 minutes for a good shave and all that traditional stuff. I do linger a bit more on the weekends though.

Nine times out of ten, I’m a cream guy. I like the convenience of throwing a scoop of cream in my lather bowl and having at it. If it’s a hard soap, it’s generally going to be a face lather. Otherwise there are just too many bowls and containers floating around the sink area. I have a few outstanding soaps so I will likely always have a foot in each camp. Creams are the preference though.

I use both and don’t have a strong preference. But lately I’ve noticed that I’ve been using soaps more often.

I alternate between soaps and creams. I've "generally" found that I get a better shave with soaps (Cremo the exception) but they are usually reserved for weekends when I have more time. I use Cremo or Barbasol pre-shower for the "quick and dirty"shaves - no need for brushes, pre-shave routine etc - just throw some hot water on face and apply cream. If I have a little bit more time, I will use a cream w/brush (post-shower) - e.g. TOBS Sandalwood with synthetic brush (no need to soak a synthetic). On a weekend, I will opt for a soap for a longer and more relaxing shave. I've found there are lots of ways to slice it (ouch, did I say slice?) so that you can basically find whatever works for your time needs while still having an enjoyable and fruitful shaving experience.

I primarily use shaving soap since my return to DE 3+ years ago. Recently did acquire a handful of creams from Cyril R. Salter and LEA that work with a shaving brush and enjoy them. While slightly less slick than my best soaps they are more convenient taking perhaps a third the time of my soaps (mostly hard triple milled) to generate great lather. Nice to have the variety.

Totally respect your experience and whatever decision you make about how to care for your face.

I would just offer that as I've honed my method over the years it's actually become increasingly straightforward and efficient.

Towards the beginning, I had a very elaborate ritual that included all kinds of skin prep, multiple passes, phases of the moon, etc.

These days I do almost no prep aside from a shower then move to the sink for quick face lather, 1-1.5 pass shave and rinse...all with cold water. Takes maybe five minutes?

If my current routine still resembled what I used to do I also might be contemplating something similar to what you've posted here, tbh.

I alternate between soaps and creams. I've "generally" found that I get a better shave with soaps (Cremo the exception) but they are usually reserved for weekends when I have more time. I use Cremo or Barbasol pre-shower for the "quick and dirty"shaves - no need for brushes, pre-shave routine etc - just throw some hot water on face and apply cream. If I have a little bit more time, I will use a cream w/brush (post-shower) - e.g. TOBS Sandalwood with synthetic brush (no need to soak a synthetic). On a weekend, I will opt for a soap for a longer and more relaxing shave. I've found there are lots of ways to slice it (ouch, did I say slice?) so that you can basically find whatever works for your time needs while still having an enjoyable and fruitful shaving experience.
I'm retired so I can usually take my time. If I'm not in a hurry, I'll use a soap/bowl/brush usually but sometimes I do opt for Cremo just because I think it's such a fantastic product. Granted, not as relaxing but slick and smooth.
OTOH, lathering some Stirling Soap or Proraso is so enjoyable.
It all works.

Went thru the Dove Mens Care bar on the sink, now it's Ivory, blue wrapper. I really don't notice a difference on my face, other than the scent Both give me a good "slickness", if there is such a word. Close, comfortable shaves, and the German Wilkies I use never give me any irritation. I get 5-7 DFS out of a blade, sometimes a few more. I do one pass WTG most mornings, with clean-ups by rewetting my face with just a little water. The prep part is washing my face first, than a quick rinse, than reapply the soap. Best results when I do this, to hydrate the beard. I use Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm, mixed with some Gillette After Shave in the blue bottle. My face feels pretty good, never tight, or dry, as one would think using a bar soap. If I don't apply a/s , I just let my face air dry after rinsing.

I started on this journey just using store bought bar soap, and I'm going back to it.

If that is what you believe works best for you, then you should stick to it.

I am however of the opinion that shaving soaps and creams are formulated differently from bar soaps and that bar soap is only a poor substitute (been there, done that) that lacks the emollients and lubrication of a product that is specifically designed to be used for shaving.

You save money - I have better lubrication.
To each his own…

B.

Last edited:
If that is what you believe works best for you, then you should stick to it.

I am however of the opinion that shaving soaps and creams are formulated differently from bar soaps and that bar soap is only a poor substitute (been there, done that) that lacks the emollients and lubrication of a product that is specifically designed to be used for shaving.

You save money - I have better lubrication.
To each his own…

B.
I don't have a problem with lubrication, and my face never feels dry after I shave. The razor glides very easily over my face, and I get DFS, doing basically one pass WTG..To each his own would be correct...

If it works, go for it. I have shaved with body lotion when in the woods, and with Noxema medicated face cream, too. Both worked pretty good. I have used bar soap in the shower by rubbing it on thick and not lathering it. It worked okay. None of these were as good as my favorite shaving cream and soap, but they were acceptable for the times and places.

Top Bottom