What's new

Shaving Soap vs Shaving Cream

Hi. I am new to straight razor shaving. Just order my first straight from buca. I tried to search and could find anything on this toppic. My question is what is better for straight razor shaving shaving soap or shaving cream?

I don't use a straight but from my DE shaving I can say that a good quality soap is "slicker" than a cream and for that reason I would think that it might be better suited for a cutthroat razor user.

Maybe one of the straight razor guys an give a more experienced view. If you go with a cream I would get one that has the reputation of having the most cushion. Of the ones that I have tried, the Taconic Tequila Line would be in the running and the AoS Sandalwood cream might be okay.

I use Mike's Soaps, specifically Barber Shop, and I would recommend one of his products. They are THE DEAL!

I'd say whichever product gives YOU the most comfortable lather. Do you shave with a DE now or are you jumping right into the straights (like did)? If your new to using a brush and building lather I'd watch YouTube videos and read lots of threads about lathering here and use the wiki. If you got experience with a brush and lather building go with what your comfortable with so that you can focus on using the straight and not worry about your lather. Good luck have fun, take baby steps until your comfortable and it'll be a great experience.

I have very little experience with creams, but the impression I get is that while Creams are generally easier to lather, a good soap will be slicker and more protective, at least when lathered right. That said, there is likely a tremendous overlap depending on brand of each.

The biggest think we say around here is YMMV(your mileage may vary). Ive used both and lately I prefer creams, although that can change at any moment. Either will give you a good shave if lathered properly. Glycerin added to my bowl or brush is a must for some soaps as we have hard water here.

I have not been wet shaving long, but I have not decided this yet. I have used 2-3 soaps and 3 creams. I like it all better than can go, but they are all different. I ordered some bay rum Col CONK to try a nice soap with a good smell. I am also looking for a nice cream. Verdict is still out for me, but for now I am sure enjoying the ride trying new stuff!
For me it's about the journey.

I think that most people who use straights prefer soaps. I use straights exclusively, and I have stopped using any creams because soaps seem slicker to me. Slick lather is important with straights.

^ this. I am not opposed to trying new creams, but I've never used one that compares to a good soap like Tabac or Mike's. As always, YMMV.

I have very little experience with creams, but the impression I get is that while Creams are generally easier to lather, a good soap will be slicker and more protective, at least when lathered right. That said, there is likely a tremendous overlap depending on brand of each.

I can agree with this. I used to be an exclusive cream user, but I got better at lathering soaps, and found that they gave me a better shave overall. My rotation consists of various shave sticks and Tabac these days. I'll throw in one of my better creams (AOS Sandalwood, namely) every once in a while.

I know from the way my VDH lathered up and the way it felt on my face, I doubt if I will ever use any caned shaving cream again. Even when I am traveling I will use my brush a mug set up. :shaving:

"Semper Fi"

Top Bottom