What's new

Shaving Soap Samples

Would You Like to Purchase Shaving Soap Samples in a Petri Dish?

• I use soaps and this is a good idea, yes!

• I use soaps and this is not a good idea, no!

• I don't use soap but this opens the door for me, yes!

• Soap, shmoap, I'm a cream kinda guy, no!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Greetings!
This is all about your opinion. It seems that no one has shave soap samples. Would it not be nice to get a small sample in a usable container for a few dollars (less than 4)? I know I have several wooden shaving bowls filled with soaps that were used for a week and now are relegated to the rear of the Great Shaving Cave.
Recently in a (rare) moment of clarity I saw soap pucks in petri dishes. (glass, plastic, etc)
I thought that these dishes with caps might provide a reasonably sized, low cost means for the various soap vendors to ply their wares. So if I can get the poll to work, we can collect your feelings on this topic.
Added:
I'd like to have you reply in a message (after voting an applicable yes) if there is some other container that would tickle your fancy or you believe that a container is not needed. Please tell all! :cool:

Ron, I guess providing shave soap samples it probably harder for the manufacturers to provide. Shave creams are easier since they can be scooped into small containers but shave soaps would have to be manufactured in small sizes.

My guess anyway.

Austin said:
Ron, I guess providing shave soap samples it probably harder for the manufacturers to provide. Shave creams are easier since they can be scooped into small containers but shave soaps would have to be manufactured in small sizes.

My guess anyway.
This could provide the push they need! Inexpensive, but is it acceptable?

The "container", IMO, is what makes this interesting. I like room to work, and my Floris, which is in a wooden bowl, gets little use for that reason...no room to work. I perceive that a sample would be small, so it would need to be in a container that would not allow movement.

Randy

PoshRichM said:
Sure, works for me. :) I tend to order my "samples" as full-sizers tho.

-Rich

Ain't that the truth!? Hahahaa - this is a dangerous hobby!

I think this is a superb idea Ron! I think it would probably be best suited for glycerine soaps though. I remember at one point Charles (QED) was providing free sample slices of QED man soap, wrapped in shrinkwrap plastic. If this was done for his shaving soaps - one could quickly and easily melt it into their desired bowl/mug and get a week or so's worth of shaves!

joel said:
I think this is a superb idea Ron! I think it would probably be best suited for glycerine soaps though. I remember at one point Charles (QED) was providing free sample slices of QED man soap, wrapped in shrinkwrap plastic. If this was done for his shaving soaps - one could quickly and easily melt it into their desired bowl/mug and get a week or so's worth of shaves!

Yes glycerin would be the way to go in my opinion

Ron,
Hmmm.... This is indeed an interesting concept. As a microbiologist, I know that there a different sizes of petri dishes. There are really big ones, normal size ones, and small ones. I'd be lying to say I know the dimensions off the top of my head, but the small dishes would be perfect. The samples would have to be very secured for transit as the plastic petri dishes can crack. This is a fantastic idea. I like the ease of creams, but there is something about lathering from a soap.

Ron,

Pure gene-yus!

One need not look too hard in order to find out what shave soaps are best or at least great. I would love to sample the the different "flavors" efficiently, allowing me, in the end, to consume effeciently.

However, I know some folks that I'd love to send soap samples to... in an erlenmyer flask. :wink:

Graham

proxy.php

just make sure they're clean first!

I think Mamma Bear is ahead of you. When I ordered some soaps a while ago, she provided at least one free sample that was in one of her standard containers but had about 1/2 to 1/3 of the regular amount. If she goes with the idea of pouring her soap into the containers, then she could do very small samples that would not cost much more than the cost of the plastic container and the label.
Steve

I don't have any input about the containers, but being able to sample various scents and lines from different manufacturers would be appealing to me. Kinda like the Decant Club thing, huh?

I think this is a great idea, even if it comes down to simply cutting up pucks and putting them in baggies. After all, I dont buy soaps for their containers.

Certainly a good plan worth resurrecting, but why use any container at all? Wrap them up and we can all just lather them in our hands or toss them in our own little bowls.

Ron,

Great suggestion and hopefully one that will generate interest from a manufacturer or two. I have purchased smaller sizes from some vendors, Chelsea's Soap Garden for one, that were very inexpensive. Nice scents, good product and gone in a few weeks of use.

I for one don't need another container and for something like this, my Target bowls work great. If just a cake was sent, it would keep the product cost down and minimize shipping as well (not that shipping would be a bear with what we are talking about).

-Scott

Top Bottom