What's new

Shaving Soap Samples

Would You Like to Purchase Shaving Soap Samples in a Petri Dish?

• I use soaps and this is a good idea, yes!

• I use soaps and this is not a good idea, no!

• I don't use soap but this opens the door for me, yes!

• Soap, shmoap, I'm a cream kinda guy, no!

Results are only viewable after voting.
To me this is a good idea to be able to try some other scents in a manufacturers line or to try a new manufacturer without committing to a large purchase just to find you don't care for it.

A Mama Bear short pour is a good example of what would work as a sample. Same container, but with just a thin wafer of soap.

A great idea, simply because I continue with this addictive need to try just one more scent or type of soap, despite the fact that I have enough soaps to last three years or more. This way I could still get that varietal fix but not feel guilty about wasting money, storage space, and being completely frivolous.

Ain't that the truth!? Hahahaa - this is a dangerous hobby!

I think this is a superb idea Ron! I think it would probably be best suited for glycerine soaps though. I remember at one point Charles (QED) was providing free sample slices of QED man soap, wrapped in shrinkwrap plastic. If this was done for his shaving soaps - one could quickly and easily melt it into their desired bowl/mug and get a week or so's worth of shaves!

imagine if mama bear did this?
you could get try all of her scents! wow! sounds (smells??)like heaven to me :drool:

Hi guenron
They could package smaller soap rounds together in individual packages. Sort of like when you buy four bar packs at the store, except with all their different fragrance offerings.
Clay

The "container", IMO, is what makes this interesting. I like room to work, and my Floris, which is in a wooden bowl, gets little use for that reason...no room to work. I perceive that a sample would be small, so it would need to be in a container that would not allow movement.

Randy
+1

So, I started the new year with three of Mama Bears soaps and I am
now a soap convert. I doubt if I will go back to using creams. I get
everything I want out of the shave with no hassles and less "stuff". I've
also remelted two of my soaps so that they fit into the jars better. I've been
indulging my Bay Rum and Tuscan Memories habit and have yet to
break open the Rosemary and Mint.

I'd like to try some of the other soap makers soaps as well as some
more of Mama Bears, but the economy just isn't there unless there
were a "remelt" service. If someone wanted to remelt fresh soaps
and repackage them in containers, would the soap makers mind or would
it be perceived as cutting in to their business. It would seem that any
"service" would need to have at least the nod of the soap makers since
we wouldn't want to alienate them.

Having recently received soap sample "slices" from Colleen (TGQ), I can say soap samples are both nice to try and also a very welcome option. Although Colleen ships these in baggies, rather than containers, I just dedicate a different bowl or mug than my norm while trying them out.

I got a crab tree and evelyn sandalwood soap sample from The shave den store when I bought a bunch of cream samples.

Can't remember their selection of soap samples but they definitely had them. Too bad the site is temp down so I can't link right now. It came (what looked like pressed, not melted) into a small plastic container that you would get bubble gum tape in or tobacco dip.

Worked fine for a sample but a petri dish would give better area to lather I bet!

Couldn't soap samples be sent out grated by weight? Say baggies at half an ounce a bag. This way a manufacturer (or re-saler) could grate a large amount of the soap to keep on hand, send out by weight, and then the consumer could press the sample into a mug or tupperware of some sort. Just a thought.

Top Bottom