What's new

shaving soap recommendation

I think all of the top companies have amazing shave soaps right now. I like that both Stirling and PAA have ‘full lines’ of their products, meaning soaps, aftershaves, EDTs, body soaps, etc.

You can’t really go wrong by investing in a little sampler pack of something either.

There are soooo many. My top three, most frequently used (for whatever that is worth):

Stirling - have two tubs and a bunch of samples, my favorites are Barbershop and Pharoah's Dreamsicle. Great value and great shaves.

MdC - pricey but very fine soap. Tons of lather from a little product. I have jars of Agrumes and Fougere. Excellent scent and performance.

TOBS - Sandalwood was my first, and smells amazing. I also have Lemon-Lime and Lavender. Easy to lather and gives very good shaves.

Others I have used, and will continue to use occasionally:

Razorock croap - classic Italian barbershop, smells like Cella red.

Cella red - it's ok, not great (for me), smells good enough to eat.

Proraso red - another great Sandalwood scent. More of a fall/winter scent for me, very good performance.

Tabac cream - very nice, shaves great. It's the only true tube cream I've kept in my rotation, though not used often.

Long ter storage, also prevents moths in the closet:

Arko, William's (classics)

Go to Stirling and buy a few sample pucks.

Other options:

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Haslinger's
Barrister & Mann
Dr. Jon's

Great question, and due to the YMMV factor definitely consider samples.

Another thing to consider is filtering recommendations based on what you like and don't like. For example, I face lather and like a "drier" lather than some. For me the most important soap characteristic is its slickness/cushioning. Someone who bowl lathers and likes really "wet" lather may have different tastes than mine.

My favorites: Ogallala, QED, DR Harris

Least favorites: Tabac, Mitchell Wool Fat

To me, Proraso soap is middle of the road. Not bad, but not the best.

There are so many great choices out there. I'm not sure what "too pricey" means as that is a moving target. Here are some great soaps that I think you should try in no particular order other than what popped in to my head:

Tabac-If you don't like the scent you'll have no trouble getting rid of it.
Haslinger
Chiseled Face
Noble Otter

Chiseled Face is actually really solid but it can be hard to recommend as the scents are polarizing. I do love me some Sherlock and Ghost Town Barber. Stirling is the safer choice.

Top Bottom