What's new

Shaving soap powder

Butterbean

Goodnight sir!
Would anybody here be interested in a shaving soap powder? I’ve got some ideas for recipes, and I’m more than likely going to invest in some materials and supplies this week and start to try to figure out a recipe. I will be texting it on myself, my wife, and hopefully two friends of ours. I will keep you all updated on the results.

One of the big companies out there sells their sample sizes this way. I can't remember who, though. MdC maybe? Somebody out there that can help with that information?

Once we figure out which company is doing that, you may get some advice or find some helpful info to pass along with lathering, etc.

It's an interesting concept for the bowl lather guys. I prefer loading off the puck or shave sticks. I love to experiment with soaps and making my own, though. Good luck with the idea! If you need any suggestions on anything, please feel free to PM me.

There have been a number of shaving soap powders in the past and there are some, today. I don't think they were ever popular. However, it is an interesting idea.
Google is your friend.

I think you are talking about replicating some vintage shaving powders like Colgate or Williams, that are mixed with water to make a lather. There are shaving powders out there that are depilatory (not really shaving, IMHO)!

Here's an interesting thread about some Greek shaving powders from @malocchio from a few years ago. Some Greek barbers were still using them at the time.

Splendid is an excellent shaving soap, many traditional shavers are still using it today in Greece. However, it is hard to lather if you try to lather it as any other soap or cream the lather will start to dissapear as you are shaving. Here is a video link of a fellow shaver lathering it:

Splendid is an excellent shaving soap, many traditional shavers are still using it today in Greece. However, it is hard to lather if you try to lather it as any other soap or cream the lather will start to dissapear as you are shaving. Here is a video link of a fellow shaver lathering it:

This comes up every once in a while. Shaving powder is nothing
more than shaving soap that has been ground up really fine
and mixed with a filler like cornstarch and/or talc.

Here is a link from 2013 where someone used Williams shave soap as a base.

Enjoy and don't be afraid to experiment.

You could just take a cheese grater with the smallest holes available and create a "powder" -like soap by grating the soap with the smallest holed cheese-grater?

Soap shavings clump, a fine powder even faster. Talc or cornstarch will inhibit lathering. Thinning the soap with water into a cream is what works.

Top Bottom