What's new

Shaving sharp

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Okay, this may not have been my brightest idea, but I have grown so tired of reading how folks have gotten their knives "shaving sharp" ( http://www.haslinger-knives.com/ ) that I decided to kick it old school, tuff guy, hard core- I shaved with a knife. Well, not quite.

I know- call Bellevue.

Now I didn't quite do the Iron Chef Sakai routine- use a foot long blade to peel an apple. I used a 150mm petty knife from Misono's UX-10 series ( http://www.korin.com/product.php?pi...no&subsubcatname=Misono UX10&mnum=HMI-733-015 ), and I hit it with almost every stone I have. Unlike traditional Japanese knives, it's not a single bevel design, but it is heavily biased for right handed use (ie: the flatter side of the knife is on the left side). This makes it easier to shave the left side of the face, and as I'm left handed, I gave it a go. I hit the bulk of my left cheek, maintaining adequate distance from my ear, nose, and lip. Neck and jaw line were not attempted, nor am I even contemplating doing so.

Results? The hair did come flying off, but with far more pulling than I would deem acceptable from a straight razor. The knife is still able to produce 1mm slices from a fresh tomato, and I really didn't suffer any ill effects. The moral of the story is when you hear that a knife is shaving sharp, it's really not, at least by our standards.

Scotto said:
You're nuts. Whiskers are much tougher than vegetables.

Have another drink. :out:

Loooooool I agree I read somewhere the diameter of a single hair on the face is as strong as the same diameter you would get made from copper !!!!

if you like to go Torture style Mr Ouch Ive got some blades for you..
how about you go BDS-219 Balaka low end blade oh that is EVIL SSL..oh well but the boy never answered me about my Japanese knives PM to him..NO Sir you can not and will not send him BDS219...... ahhhhhhh too bad.. another day
has gone by..... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Scotto said:
You're nuts. Whiskers are much tougher than vegetables.

Have another drink. :out:

You can bet I won't be doing that again. By the way, how was the land of the rising sun?

I love Japan. Great food, culture, people, etc. It's also a chance to use my language skills. C'mon - sushi for breaskfast, what's better than that?

Scotto said:
I love Japan. Great food, culture, people, etc. It's also a chance to use my language skills. C'mon - sushi for breaskfast, what's better than that?
Breaskfast? I was unaware that the Japanese had yet another meal.:lol:

Scotto said:
C'mon - sushi for breaskfast, what's better than that?

Now, this may be the rural, country-boy in me getting out, but steak and eggs (with hot sauce) and beer :a8: trumps sushi as a breakfast of choice any day.

Unlike Ron I don't think that it is necessary to ridicule your language skills, since I have been known to make a typo or two myself. :biggrin:

NMMB said:
Now, this may be the rural, country-boy in me getting out, but steak and eggs (with hot sauce) and beer :a8: trumps sushi as a breakfast of choice any day.
Unlike Ron I don't think that it is necessary to ridicule your language skills, since I have been known to make a typo or two myself. :biggrin:

You mean you prefer steak and eggs to fish bait? I'll second the vote for steak and eggs, provided you through in some hash browns with gravy!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
You mean you prefer steak and eggs to fish bait? I'll second the vote for steak and eggs, provided you through in some hash browns with gravy!

Randy
Me too, but only if it is white gravy.

NMMB said:

I learned from the master. Perhaps ridicule is too strong a word for someone with such language skills?:lol:

rtaylor61 said:
...I'll second the vote for steak and eggs, provided you through in some hash browns with gravy!

Randy

I don't need the gravy (white or otherwise) with my breakfast... but I would be happy to trade my gravy for an extra beer (Is a two beer brunch excessively hedonistic?).

I have 5 kids. I'm proud of all of them. The oldest recently married and complete her B.S Degree. My second is attending Paul Mitchell Beauty School and will soon be through. And my son. My son. Just one month ago he graduated, had been accepted to the University of Utah. All things are looking good. You might remember the picture I took on graduation day:
full

But the, he and a goup of friends ran off to California. Hitting the beaches, goofing off, sponging off of family members. Something happened. He really changed. What to do. What to do! What to do?

Here he is, just one month later...
full

Good thing he's getting a portrait done this weekend...back to the shaving gear!

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom