What's new

Shaving Scuttle

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I quite like my captain's choice bowl, but I do like the prospect of a warmer lather if desired. Hence, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a G20 I snagged on the B/S/T!

Agreed, some very nice looking pieces. I added a scuttle to the cart just to assuage my curiosity...It gave a shipping estimate of a surprisingly reasonable $15 to the US.
Oy. I was hoping it was much more!

I have a brush scuttle, a very generous gift from a member when I first joined. I've never got the hang of it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I started with a very large scuttle which was great for heat - for some lathers too great. I now use a Georgetown G12. It's small enough to hold in my left hand while building lather (which allows me to angle the whole process in a way that pleases my right wrist).

It's beautiful and does a great job. Know that you will definitely loose some heat in a scuttle with no stopper for the opening. Years ago I did an experiment and it was along the lines of 10 degrees while in use - maybe nothing that bothers you.

Today I used my Vander Haagen shave mug to get warm lather. It was heavy enough to submerge in water instead of floating in the surface. It was a little to difficult in because the base is not very wide, but it produced the best lather I have ever had. I actually got that creamy yogurt density, and the warm lather really made a difference in my shave. However, since it was in my sink it made it difficult to rinse my blade in between strokes, and the narrow base made it more difficult to lather. Thank you guys for all of your suggestions.

I just got a Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle. Note that it is large - takes a bit of counter space. They also offer a G20 which must be really big.

I have a scuttle from PAA, that’s huge. Im not sure that it’s appreciably warmer lather than my Etsy ceramic bowl after some good hot water.
Someone on the forum suggested putting your bowl on an electric mug warmer. I’m not sure that having a Chinese made electrical doo-dad sitting next to my sink is the best idea...but my sink area is rather compact.

I have a scuttle from PAA, that’s huge. Im not sure that it’s appreciably warmer lather than my Etsy ceramic bowl after some good hot water.
Someone on the forum suggested putting your bowl on an electric mug warmer. I’m not sure that having a Chinese made electrical doo-dad sitting next to my sink is the best idea...but my sink area is rather compact.
I use a set of stoneware bowls from the local Korean supermarket. The smaller one sits on top of the larger one. Same principlee as a scuttle, but more compact.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Moss Scuttle by Sara Bonnyman Pottery. Her and Dr. Chris Moss invented the modern scuttle.

Dr. Moss face lathers with creams and uses the original small scuttle to warm the brush, cream, and a little water before and between lathering.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I am surprised no one mentioned the Moss Scuttle by Sara Bonnyman Pottery. Her and Dr. Chris Moss invented the modern scuttle.

Dr. Moss face lathers with creams and uses the original small scuttle to warm the brush, cream, and a little water before and between lathering.
proxy.php

I did, saying I wanted a small one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proxy.php

Interesting info. I just got into bowl lathering after strictly face lathering for many years. I can build a much better lather in the bowl. I like a scuttle large enough to build the lather in.

Top Bottom