What's new

Shaving Scuttle

Hey guys,

I do not know if this is the correct place to post this thread, but I was wondering if any of y'all have used shaving scuttles? I'm particularly talking about those that have two different bowls, the outer bowl being filled with hot water to keep the inner bowl that would hold your lather warm. I am curious if these are effective, and if so which ones do y'all recommend?

The larger ones generally work well since they hold more heat. However, you can achieve the same effect in other ways that are simpler and less expensive. Float your lather bowl in a sink full of hot water. Stack two bowls, with hot water in the lower bowl. Use an old teapot full of hot water and put your lather bowl into the opening on top. Those are just a few of the possibilities.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I face lather 90% of the time, but a nice cheap scuttle could change my mind in the winter!

Seems like that PAA sells some plastic ones. I've never dealt with him though.

I face lather, but I use a brush scuttle to hold my brush between passes. Most brush scuttles aren't big enough to make lather in, so I don't use it for that but I like it's ability to keep the lather a little warmer between passes and hold the brush knot-side down. Mine is an older one from Robert Becker.
1579290907124.png

Last edited:
Mine is huge. Made by a guy in England. Steve something. In winter, with a badger brush that retains heat, it's great.

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_183345.jpg
    IMG_20190206_183345.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
This is interesting. I have a largish scuttle and it works well, but I think it uses too much water and the lather is spread out. I’m thinking the increases surface to air ratio causes the lather to lose heat more quickly.

Sarah Moss has one with a 3” diameter center bowl and was thinking it would be more efficient. The lather would have a smaller surface area and retain its heat better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

I face lather, but I use a brush scuttle to hold my brush between passes. Most brush scuttles aren't big enough to make lather in, so I don't use it for that but I like it's ability to keep the lather a little warmer between passes and hold the brush knot-side down. Mine is an older one from Robert Becker.
View attachment 1053539
That's a big beauty.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I have tried to keep my bowl in the sink, but the water doesn't stay hot. I became interested in scuttles because the three that I have been debating over all have stopped to trap the heat to keep the water hot.

I've got several Georgetown scuttles and a Dirty Bird. I've been using the Dirty Bird for many months exclusively, but I also enjoy the Georgetowns.

I use a Georgetown Pottery scuttle and it gives me luxurious warm lather. I generally use it during the winter and use a Captain's Choice lather bowl during the warmer months.

I quite like my captain's choice bowl, but I do like the prospect of a warmer lather if desired. Hence, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a G20 I snagged on the B/S/T!

He's very talented. His prices are really affordable. No idea what shipping would be to US, but beautiful stuff.

Agreed, some very nice looking pieces. I added a scuttle to the cart just to assuage my curiosity...It gave a shipping estimate of a surprisingly reasonable $15 to the US.

Yikes! I need to stop looking! Beautiful stuff. But I don't need another scuttle, unless it was a small one for brush only. I also really like Doug Smith shaving pottery.

FarmerTan

Yikes! I need to stop looking! Beautiful stuff. But I don't need another scuttle, unless it was a small one for brush only. I also really like Doug Smith shaving pottery.
Stop with the pottery stuff dude!

I used to throw stuff on the wheel. It is my greatest weakness!

Top Bottom