What's new

Shaving, Restorations, Honing and Hooplah

They look good, but are hard to shape. I would guess your dovo has a spacer and not a wedge
Yes, definitely a spacer instead of a wedge. I know wedges are a better option for functionality purposes so I wanted to take it a step further myself. The thing about me is I ask a million questions, but the more I know the better my chances at creating something beautiful. I’m hoping to practice all these things I’m learning on some junk wood and cheap metals before I go all out on a finished product. Because I anticipate finding a really nice vintage blade once I’m comfortable with my skill and really going all out.

If you can’t find brass (pins sheets and washers) at a hobby shop then a thicker piece of brass could be cut from a brass hinge from any big box store.
Like doc said. It’s a pain and they heat up quickly .
Why not do brass liners. A bit tricky for your first time out but doable.
Your scales look a bit chunky by the way. They’re usually in the 1/8” range or so.

You'll like learning to peen. It's a nice skill to have.

A suggestion is to peen and unpin 10 times on junk scales, or just a piece of wood, before you do it on scales that you care about.

If you can’t find brass (pins sheets and washers) at a hobby shop then a thicker piece of brass could be cut from a brass hinge from any big box store.
Like doc said. It’s a pain and they heat up quickly .
Why not do brass liners. A bit tricky for your first time out but doable.
Your scales look a bit chunky by the way. They’re usually in the 1/8” range or so.
Reutilizing brass hardware, I really like that idea. That’s some ingenuity right there. I think I’m gonna try that. I’m going to be pretty much doing hand tools for everything seeing as the only power tool I could afford was a dremel and I’m not that well versed with it yet.

I’ve never even thought of brass liners until you asked and used the handy dandy search function to learn more. That looks like an awesome idea. I want to learn that too! I want to try my hand at everything haha. This is going to be a never ending saga over here.

And yes, I thought so too. Believe it or not those were hand planed before sanding, started at around an inch thick. It was my first go around and I wrecked them when separating the two so I need to take another whack at another set from scratch.

Generally speaking 1/8” is the thickness for scales. Is a tapered wedge roughly the same? Or is it sized based off of the size of the razor?

You'll like learning to peen. It's a nice skill to have.

A suggestion is to peen and unpin 10 times on junk scales, or just a piece of wood, before you do it on scales that you care about.
I think I’m going to like it too. Hahaha. I just got my hands on a 4oz ball peen hammer. Gonna polish up that sucker and take your suggestion and peen on my junk scales that I’ve already wrecked before attempting on new scales. It’ll help me learn to unpin as well.

Oh and by the way guys, I just got five dollars in the mail. I feel like I’m the plate spinner attempting so much at one time.
0FEF39C5-939A-4186-B0D3-6A22510EC53A.jpeg

So I did my Easter shave this morning. My Dovo still isn’t as sharp as I’d like (waiting on sending out in order to check my own edge vs. a shave ready edge from globaldev).

Anyway, did the full on prep, strop and decided to go with cream instead of soap to get an easier lather.

Got a DFS, but I’m having trouble with my angles in some trouble areas. The grain grows in some wild directions on my neck and it’s hard to get my hands just right to follow and keep the right angles. And I’m having trouble with my mustache and the hair right below my lip. Still practicing, still working on it.

Did 3 passes. A WTG, a XTG and an ATG. I only went ATG on my cheeks and my neck because there was a lot of skipping and I needed to use both hands for control. With the trouble I have enough with my first two passes on my mustache and lower lip, I decided not to chance it. And I didn’t follow the grain on my neck for the second two passes, just a clean swipe across then up.

I feel like I’m getting better. This is my 8th shave in and I have a long way to go.

Oh and btw, it took me about 45 minutes overall while the little one was napping in the next room hahaha.

Top Bottom