What's new

Shaving resolutions?

The typical "resolution" we are familiar with is one of restraint.

Pledging to not be an all-consuming impulse-buying black hole from which not even shaving-related light can escape.

I have never taken this pledge, btw.

But has there been some other aspect of your shaving...pathology...that you've wanted to change?

For me, it is my habit of shaving with a blade once. I rarely ever shave with the same blade twice in a row.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have learned that I was too quick to judge some blades. I have found that my slant can make a "bad" blade better.

And @AshleyC : I am not the only person here that will tell you the first shave with a GSB should just be considered as a stropping of the blade. The 2nd shave is like a night and day difference.

I try to keep myself from going after "ghost stubble" with multiple blade-buffing passes over what feels like stubborn spots.
I call it "ghost stubble" because it will disappear on it's own a half-hour after I'm done and my skin is dry.
I know this, yet I persist in trying to get rid of it. :blush:
I am not the only person here that will tell you the first shave with a GSB should just be considered as a stropping of the blade. The 2nd shave is like a night and day difference.
Yup.
The only blade I've used where that was not the case was a QShave Titanium blade that shipped with my Futur clone.
The first shave on it was the best ever, sharp and smooth, no weepers.
The second shave - not so much.
After that it degraded at a rate about 5 times faster than other blades. I could not use it past 5 or so.

For me, 4-5 shaves usually is "finally broken in".

FarmerTan

I try to keep myself from going after "ghost stubble" with multiple blade-buffing passes over what feels like stubborn spots.
I call it "ghost stubble" because it will disappear on it's own a half-hour after I'm done and my skin is dry.
I know this, yet I persist in trying to get rid of it. :blush:

Yup.
The only blade I've used where that was not the case was a QShave Titanium blade that shipped with my Futur clone.
The first shave on it was the best ever, sharp and smooth, no weepers.
The second shave - not so much.
After that it degraded at a rate about 5 times faster than other blades. I could not use it past 5 or so.

For me, 4-5 shaves usually is "finally broken in".
Well said about the "finally broken in."
And I too should know better about leaving well enough alone and waiting for my face to reabsorb the stubble.

Most of the time, I actually like shaving now.

I have a tendency to chase BBS, and when I do that I get physically irritated because I’ll try and hurry, use too much pressure etc...

Been making a conscious effort to just do 2 passes for less irritation.

FarmerTan

Most of the time, I actually like shaving now.

I have a tendency to chase BBS, and when I do that I get physically irritated because I’ll try and hurry, use too much pressure etc...

Been making a conscious effort to just do 2 passes for less irritation.
And I am sometimes amazed at how close 2 passes comes to perfection!

My continuously renewing resolution is to stop contributing to all these shaving forum queries, but I just can't help myself!
Is there somewhere a "gentlemanly restraint" pledge related to posting?!
My biggest problem is that I buy something, or many things, and then I don't try them for months, or even years, all because I've already got something out and open on the counter that I'm happy with and would prefer to finish.
Now what kind of perverse logic is that, I ask you?
If I don't change, I will die with a decade's worth of unopened products!

Buying aftershaves! I may be finally winding down but the compulsion is there. I’d say chasing BBS but it’s just too much fun to want to give up.

I'm in my 2nd year of the shave sabbatical so my resolution is not to buy anything shave related until I NEED it. I could easily come up with a list of wants but I don't need anything. I won't need to buy blades for about 10 years. I won't have to buy aftershaves for about 4+ years. I may need to buy some soap in 2+ years. I have one brush and lather bowl with no desire for any more. I rotate 3 razors and that's plenty so I'm set for quite a while. Sometimes I shave just to use up more product!

FarmerTan

I'm in my 2nd year of the shave sabbatical so my resolution is not to buy anything shave related until I NEED it. I could easily come up with a list of wants but I don't need anything. I won't need to buy blades for about 10 years. I won't have to buy aftershaves for about 4+ years. I may need to buy some soap in 2+ years. I have one brush and lather bowl with no desire for any more. I rotate 3 razors and that's plenty so I'm set for quite a while. Sometimes I shave just to use up more product!
You are my hero. Or, maybe it is closer to say, you are my wife's hero, lol.

My first resolution is to buy more expensive soaps and razors that are the latest and greatest revelation touted in reviews.

My second resolution is to care more about scents. I used a lot of different designer fragrances in my youth, but now all fragrances feel boring, unexciting and disappointing.

For me, it is my habit of shaving with a blade once. I rarely ever shave with the same blade twice in a row.

Most, but not all razor blades, become sharper after the first shave. THE GSB noted by FarmerTan is just one of those blades.

There are a few blades that do not become sharper after the first use. They include Feather, Rapira Swedish SuperSteel, Shark Super Stainless and Treet. Thus, if you are using one of these, a one and done policy is OK.

If you like very smooth blades, Personna Comfort Coated Lab Blues are very smooth on the first shave, but not so sharp. The coating wears off during the first shave and the blades become significantly sharper. Thus, if you like the initial feel of Lab Blues but do not need super sharp blades, one and done would be great.

The coating wears off during the first shave and the blades become significantly sharper.

I used to think this was the case until I learned what coating actually does - improves blade cutting efficiency aka 'sharpness'. So perhaps something else is going on between shave 1 and 2. Deburring of the edge perhaps?

My first resolution is to buy more expensive soaps and razors that are the latest and greatest revelation touted in reviews.

My second resolution is to care more about scents. I used a lot of different designer fragrances in my youth, but now all fragrances feel boring, unexciting and disappointing.
Boy, I hope I don't catch whatever it is that you have!
I don't think I could afford it!

Restraint is, without a doubt, my current resolution. I've got razors I've never used and enough soap to last for at least a couple of years. I've accepted that I can't try every soap I want and have resolved to use up what I have. Razors are a bit harder. I'm currently obsessed with finding a nice Super 84 at a good price but after that, I'm done for a while. I swear! Well, I at least hope.

FarmerTan

Restraint is, without a doubt, my current resolution. I've got razors I've never used and enough soap to last for at least a couple of years. I've accepted that I can't try every soap I want and have resolved to use up what I have. Razors are a bit harder. I'm currently obsessed with finding a nice Super 84 at a good price but after that, I'm done for a while. I swear! Well, I at least hope.
Finally, an honest man!

I have learned that I was too quick to judge some blades. I have found that my slant can make a "bad" blade better.

And @AshleyC : I am not the only person here that will tell you the first shave with a GSB should just be considered as a stropping of the blade. The 2nd shave is like a night and day difference.

Forum lore holds that the Voshkod is a blade that improves with use. I cry foul! And publicly berate and denounce the naked emperor!

No matter how many uses, a Voshkod has always acted as if the most effective route is to rip the hair out by the roots.

I've even tried slicing notebook paper with a Voshkod to see if that changed anything. Nope.

Top Bottom