What's new

Shaving Regularly To Prevent Acne & Clogged Pores?

What do you guys think? Is there any truth that shaving your face daily or every other day helps prevent acne and clogged pores by exfoliating the skin? I seem to notice that when I go without shaving for a few days (3-5) versus shaving every other day or even daily that I have clearer skin. If you have an oily skin type does having that oil sitting on the hair follicles increase the likelihood of breakouts?

My guess would be it has less to do with the actual shave than the pre-shave prep and post shave care that goes along with shaving. I would tend to think that the days you skip shaving you'd tend to skip the pre/post rituals like applying Witch Hazel, if you use shaving soap, you'd skip that etc. Actually running the blade over your face is a small percentage of the time that you spend "shaving".

What do you guys think? Is there any truth that shaving your face daily or every other day helps prevent acne and clogged pores by exfoliating the skin? I seem to notice that when I go without shaving for a few days (3-5) versus shaving every other day or even daily that I have clearer skin. If you have an oily skin type does having that oil sitting on the hair follicles increase the likelihood of breakouts?

Yes. I have EXTREMELY oily skin and I can't not shave. If I don't, I get a build up of dead, flaky skin in my beard area.

My guess would be it has less to do with the actual shave than the pre-shave prep and post shave care that goes along with shaving. I would tend to think that the days you skip shaving you'd tend to skip the pre/post rituals like applying Witch Hazel, if you use shaving soap, you'd skip that etc. Actually running the blade over your face is a small percentage of the time that you spend "shaving".

+1, I agree with this as well.

Wash your face often during the course of the day. Its dirt and oil clogging pores. No doubt shaving, hot water and the post shave ritual help.

I definitely can tell the difference in my skin when I'm shaving everyday. No breakouts and my skin looks healthier. When I grow the beard out I also tend to breakout a bit but I also use a cleansing scrub, and that helps a lot. Just gets all the grime and dirt off the beard that the regular soaps don't get off.

i found the same thing, breaking out when i dont shave. then i realized it was just that i wasn't paying as close attention to how i wash my face during the day. when i take a day off, i really make sure to wash/scrub with whatever facial wash i'm using. that has helped minimize breakouts.

Using alum after a shave has also helped a great deal with my oily skin and acne ... aside from post shave, it is an antibacterial.

Don't laugh...but this is what I use: http://www.naturallyfreshdeodorantc...e-twist-up-stick-w-aloe-vera-425-oz-120-grams

when I first came here, someone else suggested this.
You can get it at Walgreens GNC and even Walmart. This works GREAT... is cheap ... 4-6 bucks ... and has aloe to boot.

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, Dave. However, that website doesn't mention anything about using the product on the face. But I'm sure that's simply because that isn't intended to be it's main use. You haven't experienced any increased oiliness or breakouts from using it, right? I'll be looking into this stuff for sure.

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, Dave. However, that website doesn't mention anything about using the product on the face. But I'm sure that's simply because that isn't intended to be it's main use. You haven't experienced any increased oiliness or breakouts from using it, right? I'll be looking into this stuff for sure.

Not at all ... basically alum is alum ... the stick I buy is at Walmart and my local grocery store has it also in a larger size and price depends on size. Alum is an antibacterial ... which is why it works as a deodorant. The mineral salt of alum helps my face with excess oil ... it can be very drying, and being an antibacterial helps with the bacteria on the face.

Alum is NOT a cure ... If your acne is exceptionally bad ...(Cystic or Nodules) your best bet would be to go see a Dermatologist.

Not at all ... basically alum is alum ... the stick I buy is at Walmart and my local grocery store has it also in a larger size and price depends on size. Alum is an antibacterial ... which is why it works as a deodorant. The mineral salt of alum helps my face with excess oil ... it can be very drying, and being an antibacterial helps with the bacteria on the face.

Alum is NOT a cure ... If your acne is exceptionally bad ...(Cystic or Nodules) your best bet would be to go see a Dermatologist.

I gotcha. My acne isn't bad at all. I get the occasional breakout on my cheeks or T-zone, but nothing serious. Using Witch Hazel as an aftershave or applied with a cotton round before bed to remove any oil has really helped. But I'm always on the lookout for something better. Appreciate the help, Dave! I'll let you know how it goes when I give the stuff a shot.

Don't laugh...but this is what I use: http://www.naturallyfreshdeodorantc...e-twist-up-stick-w-aloe-vera-425-oz-120-grams

when I first came here, someone else suggested this.
You can get it at Walgreens GNC and even Walmart. This works GREAT... is cheap ... 4-6 bucks ... and has aloe to boot.

That actually looks really good, I dropped my alum (in the sink) and it didn't shatter, but it broke a good chunk off and isn't as smooth and is annoying to use now, and I've stopped using it anyways due to Witch Hazel being enough. But I'm curious how that works, plus you can let it slip out of your hands with no problems.

I have oily skin and used to have ridiculous ingrowns, road rash, and just terrible skin in the shaving area. Now however, my skin looks better and feels better. I normally shave every other day except for the weekends when I go to every day.

marty

I was watching a TV show here in the US called the Doctors ... they didn't speak of Alum ... but uses for Sea Salt mixed in water applied to your face after washing will help with acne ... and Alum is mineral salts ... so

Last edited:
Top Bottom