What's new

Shaving question

+1 to that. You could also, as LRod suggested, get a more "aggressive" razor. One example that might work for you is the Razorock aluminum Lupo.

So I shaved today, no stubble feel, but I do see some beard shadow around my chin and upper lip area. I did have a goatee for a while, is it because of that?

If you don't feel any stubble, it might be just because of your skin and whisker colors. Some people have a shadow even if they shave perfectly close.

Congratulations on getting to the point of not feeling stubble! That's a big step. Keep on working on your technique. It is a fun, but sometimes frustrating, hobby.

If you don't feel any stubble, it might be just because of your skin and whisker colors. Some people have a shadow even if they shave perfectly close.

Congratulations on getting to the point of not feeling stubble! That's a big step. Keep on working on your technique. It is a fun, but sometimes frustrating, hobby.
But I found I don’t lather good, I don’t know if it’s my brush or the soap.

I use the Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush and Proraso White

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Keep at it! You will inevitably get better. Can't speak for shadow as my hair is fair and getting fairer. If you're smooth after the shave, then you did good...I wouldn't go by shadow. Don't let it bother you too much at this point...just continue to shave and pick up efficiency without irritation. And remember...lather on every pass...don't do too many "cleanup strokes" without lather...and keep the pressure at a minimum.

Happy Shaves!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm confused.

Are your shaves post shave like in the photos in this thread? If so, I'd assume you're feeling a lot of stubble WTG, XTG, and ATG? Is that the case?

If the answers to all three questions is yes, let me suggest you use the kit you're using, but use your old cartridge razor (just once), take and post photos after that shave, and also report on how much stubble you're feeling WTG, XTG, and ATG?

I think you've got the two much problem. Too much pressure. Too many passes. Too much work.

I think too you're using the wrong angle (although I'm not sure what angle you're using) and the wrong razor.

If you're giving us enough information I'm missing it.

All that said, learning to shave with a DE razor is very easy for some people, but it wasn't for me. I managed to do everything wrong. To begin with I purchased an expensive razor which was never in a million years going to work for me, but, boy howdy, I tried to make it work.

We're here to help if we can.

Happy shaves,

Jim

But I found I don’t lather good, I don’t know if it’s my brush or the soap.
Try adding more water as the lather may be too dry and looks dull in that instance. The soap is capable of producing a good lather. Most instances where the lather disappears on the last pass is when not enough soap is loaded. Generally load more soap and if you find you have a lot left over then reduce your brush loading time.
This may help you; Lathering | Badger & Blade
Dark or black stubble will show a little shadow on the skin surface. If your face is smooth you can do no more.

This was after I shaved

Attachments

• B0391244-E7A8-490F-AF2F-AC1B7DB65A12.jpeg
    B0391244-E7A8-490F-AF2F-AC1B7DB65A12.jpeg
    942.1 KB · Views: 25
That's a LOT better than the last picture you posted. Congratulations on the improvement!

My advice to you is to just keep practicing and tuning your technique with the equipment you have. Don't do what I did, which was to switch a lot of things. That DE89 is a great razor, use it for a couple months and keep working on the technique. Then later you can start switching blades or other variables. If you have coarse hair like me, you may want to try a sharper blade.

If you rub your finger against the grain and it feels smooth you can do no more. It looks much better than before.
I still think you may be shaving too steep and the handle should be angled further away from your face for better results. For comparison, shave with a cartridge razor to see if you are improving.

If you rub your finger against the grain and it feels smooth you can do no more. It looks much better than before.
I still think you may be shaving too steep and the handle should be angled further away from your face for better results. For comparison, shave with a cartridge razor to see if you are improving.

It if feels a bit rough when I rub against the grain!

That's a LOT better than the last picture you posted. Congratulations on the improvement!

My advice to you is to just keep practicing and tuning your technique with the equipment you have. Don't do what I did, which was to switch a lot of things. That DE89 is a great razor, use it for a couple months and keep working on the technique. Then later you can start switching blades or other variables. If you have coarse hair like me, you may want to try a sharper blade.

I used the Merkur 23C and Astra Superior Stainless DE for my shave today. Are these blades good or there’s sharper one out there?

I want to give the Merkur DE blades a try!

Oh, sorry, I thought you had a DE89, the Merkur 23C is also a great razor. Stick with that and your Astras and focus on your technique for a while.

Only after you make more progress should you start switching things out. I have heard the Merkur are not very sharp, but haven't used them myself. When you get to that point and want to try a sharper blade, I would recommend trying a Nacet or a Perma-sharp blade. They aren't as sharp as a Feather on the first shave, but are more consistent.

Oh, sorry, I thought you had a DE89, the Merkur 23C is also a great razor. Stick with that and your Astras and focus on your technique for a while.

Only after you make more progress should you start switching things out. I have heard the Merkur are not very sharp, but haven't used them myself. When you get to that point and want to try a sharper blade, I would recommend trying a Nacet or a Perma-sharp blade. They aren't as sharp as a Feather on the first shave, but are more consistent.

But my Proraso soap is almost finished, I would need a new soap, I’m thinking of switching soaps, any ideas? Fragrance-free and alcohol-free preferably

I checked, my face is still smooth after I shaved this morning, but not as smooth though since it’s been 13 hours since I last shaved

I don’t know if it’s my razor or my brush, but after I shaved I saw some stubble on my chin and neck area. I don’t know if all Razor are made the same, but I find my Merkur 23C doesn’t have much gap between the blade and the block

99309192-D5D8-4A40-8840-0D30653FB6F4.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
All razors are definitely not made the same.

Some very efficient razors - the FOCS comes to mind - have a very small gap. The razor is smooth feeling on my skin but shaves me closely.

6-24-22.FOCS.ETHOS.SV.Horn.640.JPG

Gap isn't everything.

Gap, Blade Exposure.556.png

Other razors have a huge gap.

Yaqi gap. Wow..png

I don't know anything to speak of about your razor. It may or may not be right for you. Its gap may or may not be of issue.

It's complicated and I can not say I really understand it, but some razors are better for me and you than others, and I often can't really say why.

Happy shaves,

Jim

...but I find my Merkur 23C doesn’t have much gap between the blade and the block
The blade gap on the 23C is ~ 0.7mm and has positive blade exposure which is fine for daily shavers. You are probably shaving at a steep blade angle which is pulling the blade edge too far from the skin. Draw that handle further away from the face to get a less steep blade angle.
The chin is a difficult area as you need to maintain that blade angle round the jaw with a constatntly changing angle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom