What's new

Shaving question

Maybe the Merkur 23C handle is to long for me, maybe I’m better with the short handle like the Merkur 33C

Maybe the Merkur 23C handle is to long for me, maybe I’m better with the short handle like the Merkur 33C
Position your fingers further up the handle and nearer to the razor head, it may help with the longer handle. Changing handles or razors won't help with improving technique at this stage.

Position your fingers further up the handle and nearer to the razor head, it may help with the longer handle. Changing handles or razors won't help with improving technique at this stage.

Since you’re giving tips and advice, what do you think of the Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush?

I also have a metal stainless steel shaving bowl

Since you’re giving tips and advice, what do you think of the Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush?

I also have a metal stainless steel shaving bowl
I have not used the EJ best badger brush and use a Simpson brush also described as best badger. The problem is manufacturers are not clear what best badger means so there is no comparison. I would think that your best badger EJ brush is of reasonable quality and capable of producing a good lather. If you need help on lathering look here; Lathering | Badger & Blade
The shaving bowl is useful for building the lather and I use a scuttle; same as a bowl but warms the lather. You can produce a good lather in a bowl so no reason not to keep using it. You have had comprehensive feedback to your thread on shaving bowls.

I have had good results with all the Proraso shaving soaps but have been using Figaro or Cella lately. These soaps are very easy to lather and use.

Your problem, as I see it, is you have been shaving very steep (scraping action) for 2 years and you need a little time to adjust your blade angle to a better cutting angle to achive a closer shave. Blades are designed for cutting and not scraping, an obvious point but worth mentioning. I use the Merkur 34C which is the same head as your razor and I do think the shorter handle works better. However the 23C longer handle will still do the job if you hold it higher up the handle; holding it lower down near the end encourages a steep angle.
Blades can make a difference so getting some samples is a good move. I like Astra SP but find Gillette Silver Blue better. 7 O'Clock SharpEdge or Nacets are worth a try too.

I have not used the EJ best badger brush and use a Simpson brush also described as best badger. The problem is manufacturers are not clear what best badger means so there is no comparison. I would think that your best badger EJ brush is of reasonable quality and capable of producing a good lather. If you need help on lathering look here; Lathering | Badger & Blade
The shaving bowl is useful for building the lather and I use a scuttle; same as a bowl but warms the lather. You can produce a good lather in a bowl so no reason not to keep using it. You have had comprehensive feedback to your thread on shaving bowls.

I have had good results with all the Proraso shaving soaps but have been using Figaro or Cella lately. These soaps are very easy to lather and use.

Your problem, as I see it, is you have been shaving very steep (scraping action) for 2 years and you need a little time to adjust your blade angle to a better cutting angle to achive a closer shave. Blades are designed for cutting and not scraping, an obvious point but worth mentioning. I use the Merkur 34C which is the same head as your razor and I do think the shorter handle works better. However the 23C longer handle will still do the job if you hold it higher up the handle; holding it lower down near the end encourages a steep angle.
Blades can make a difference so getting some samples is a good move. I like Astra SP but find Gillette Silver Blue better. 7 O'Clock SharpEdge or Nacets are worth a try too.

Thank you for the tips, I do find that my brush is not lathering good, since I have sensitive skin, I was thinking of getting a Synthetic Silvertip brush

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been following along as you've been working your way to successful wet shaving.

I'm a newbie myself so I don't have any advice to pass along other than, stick with it. I shaved with just one razor for almost 6 months. I really think that helps, using the same razor until you feel comfortable with it and develop your technique.

I just started using a DE razor as opposed to my Artist Club razor blade one. I guess I'm going to suggest one thing. You might try the King C. Gillette DE blade. They aren't the cheapest but they are both sharp and smooth. If you buy ten of them or so, you won't have a huge investment and will be able to decide very quickly if a sharper and smoother blade adds something to your shaves. Take this advice with a pillar of salt, however. I'm not really qualified to give advice at this point. But if I were in your situation, that's what I'd do.

After a good shave today, I noticed that my brush doesn’t lather properly
Can you be more specific? Loading more soap may be something you may want to experiment with.
West Coat Shaving have a reasonable selection of synthetic brushes but you need to decide on what size knot you prefer. The Yaqi Segrada Familia Tuxedo looks a good brush (24mm knot, 53mm loft) at a very reasonable price.

Can you be more specific? Loading more soap may be something you may want to experiment with.
West Coat Shaving have a reasonable selection of synthetic brushes but you need to decide on what size knot you prefer. The Yaqi Segrada Familia Tuxedo looks a good brush (24mm knot, 53mm loft) at a very reasonable price.

I’m curious about the Silvertip Synthetic brushes

I’m curious about the Silvertip Synthetic brushes
I am curious too. With synthetic bristles there is no colour in the fibres or standard as to softness so calling the bristles silvertip is meaningless. Dying the fibres to simulate silvertips is confusing too. A higher loft to knot diameter ratio will give a softer feeling brush generally but knot density is also a factor.

I'll take that to mean you want a very soft brush. Most synthetic brushes are soft, though, so it's difficult to go wrong. Are there any brushes you've got in mind? Do you have a price range?

I don’t have good knowledge when it comes to brushes. My price range is up until 30-35$

I don’t have good knowledge when it comes to brushes. My price range is up until 30-35$
OK, synthetic knots come in several different types. Some are softer, some are more firm. I'd suggest something towards the softer end, knots with nicknames like the Cashmere, Synbad or Timberwolf.

Here's a few suggestions. If you can get brushes from Phoenix Artisan Accouterments (PAA) look at the Peregrino or Star Craft. Yaqi brushes are very reasonably priced, look at the Purple Haze or Moka Express with Mew Brown knot. Razorock has a somewhat similar brush called the Hive. There's many good synthetic brushes out there.

If you shop the scratch and dent, like I did, you can get a fine G5A brush from AP Shave Co. and have an artisan brush. It would be around $40. You get the handle from the S&D and choose your knot (hair). Then ask Andrew to set it for you.

Yaqi makes a fine brush. I have a 22mm Plisson knot and a 24mm Tuxedo knot (black hairs with white tips). Both work wonderfully. I can recommend them without reservation. I saw some Yaqi brushes at the scratch and dent on Yaqi's Aliexpress factory store that were just $7 with free shipping. That's a steal.

1661133500890.png

This one is current $10 on sale at West Coast Shaving.

So today I shaved and I did everything that I could do right, and my face was still burning and still burns. I was thinking of doing something different in preparing my skin, using a pre-shave cream before my shave.

A lot of people don’t use it, then again not everyone’s face is the same, this could actually help me

So today I shaved and I did everything that I could do right, and my face was still burning and still burns. I was thinking of doing something different in preparing my skin, using a pre-shave cream before my shave.

A lot of people don’t use it, then again not everyone’s face is the same, this could actually help me
I still say your razors are not right for your face. If you try a Henson mild I think it will make you happy. Someone can loan you one, but Henson direct has a return policy, also. Read through the Henson Club thread and the Henson Razor Opinions thread and you will see that a number of people solved their problems completely by making this change. There is no blade chatter, which causes irritation, and the blade exposure is very little so you are not going to do anything but cut hair.

I still say your razors are not right for your face. If you try a Henson mild I think it will make you happy. Someone can loan you one, but Henson direct has a return policy, also. Read through the Henson Club thread and the Henson Razor Opinions thread and you will see that a number of people solved their problems completely by making this change. There is no blade chatter, which causes irritation, and the blade exposure is very little so you are not going to do anything but cut hair.

That or the blades I’m using aren’t good for me

Top Bottom