What's new

Shaving question

That or the blades I’m using aren’t good for me
maybe. I doubt it. Normally, for me, a blade not right just gives a crappy shave. It is the razors. I have razors that are popular and hate them. They will give me razor burn and/or cuts and weepers. Others love them. They just aren't right for my face, no matter what blade I use in them.

It could also be that the White Proraso soap I’m using that is giving me a reaction
I think that unlikely as that soap is marketed for sensitive skin. It is easy to test as you don't shave daily; on the days you don't shave, lather up and wash off three times without shaving and see if you still have irritation. It is a process of elimination.
It is possible you could be getting brush burn so try bowl lathering and paint on the lather to eliminate that variable.
Try different blades because razor blades are one of the most subjective factors in DE shaving.
Something else to try is a daily one pass shave as multiple passes can be an issue especially with poor technique.
Just for clarity, do you have irritation over your whole face of just certain parts of your face?

I think that unlikely as that soap is marketed for sensitive skin. It is easy to test as you don't shave daily; on the days you don't shave, lather up and wash off three times without shaving and see if you still have irritation. It is a process of elimination.
It is possible you could be getting brush burn so try bowl lathering and paint on the lather to eliminate that variable.
Try different blades because razor blades are one of the most subjective factors in DE shaving.
Something else to try is a daily one pass shave as multiple passes can be an issue especially with poor technique.
Just for clarity, do you have irritation over your whole face of just certain parts of your face?

Well I ordered my sample pack from RBC I’m just waiting for them to arrive. That’s the problem, I don’t know which brush is good for me, as my brush doesn’t lather properly, that or the handle on my brush is very short for my hands to lather

That’s the problem, I don’t know which brush is good for me, as my brush doesn’t lather properly, that or the handle on my brush is very short for my hands to lather
The Yaqi red marble handle Tuxedo synthetic brush from West Coast Shaving looks ideal for you in terms of knot (only 24mm available, loft is 58mm) and handle height of 66mm. It is only $10.99 which is a great price.
I found this review which may help; I'm a synthetic brush convert (Yaqi Red Marble 26mm Tuxedo review) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/im-a-synthetic-brush-convert-yaqi-red-marble-26mm-tuxedo-review.576785/
Add a soap to your order and you are set for many happy shaves. The Col Conk almond shaving soap at $5.99 looks good value and it is a glycerine based soap which worth trying.

The Yaqi red marble handle Tuxedo synthetic brush from West Coast Shaving looks ideal for you in terms of knot (only 24mm available, loft is 58mm) and handle height of 66mm. It is only $10.99 which is a great price.
I found this review which may help; I'm a synthetic brush convert (Yaqi Red Marble 26mm Tuxedo review) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/im-a-synthetic-brush-convert-yaqi-red-marble-26mm-tuxedo-review.576785/
Add a soap to your order and you are set for many happy shaves. The Col Conk almond shaving soap at $5.99 looks good value and it is a glycerine based soap which worth trying.
I can say for certain that this is a really good brush. I gave one to my wife I liked it so much.

I appreciate the suggestions and shopping at Westcoastshaving. It’s a US based online store, I’m from Canadaand shipping would more expensive. I’m pretty sure Fendrihan or Italian Barber have similar products

I too started by watching Geofatboy’s videos. One thing I had to learn is he shaves very fast in those videos. I noticed by shaving at that speed, I was inclined to apply pressure to keep the blade contact. Once I slowed down I can really apply no pressure other than the weight on the razor.
Not only the fast shaving. He would go 7-8 times over the same place without relathering in his videos.

@Rodimus80
Hi, just read through the thread and thought I'd add my tuppence worth.

1. I'll echo what others have said in terms of equipment that there is nothing "wrong" with any of the items you have - but they may not be right for you. It takes time and practice before that can be determined. It sounds as though you are finally experiencing some improvement so may be stick with it a little longer before investing in further items.

2. Your razors head is shared by quite a few razors - I began with one of these and was, after a while, able to achieve pretty good results. I then switched to a more aggressive razor and once I learned to use it I have never looked back. That razor was the Fatip Piccolo. If the Henson is more than you're prepared to pay then I very much recommend trying the Fatip which is a true bargain in my opinion.

3. You've mentioned you feel you might be having a reaction to the Proraso White soap your using. It's possible, though in my experience the reaction is felt by a warming or burning sensation whilst the lather is on your face rather than post shave. Personally I suspect the burning you're experiencing is down to not yet perfected technique.

4. A question if I may - you said you don't think your brush is good at lathering. In what way please? Learning to build good lather was possibly the last thing that I spent time and effort developing but I am so glad I did as it has made a huge difference. Looking back I know now I wasn't doing a good job in the past and now I understand the process I can use pretty much any half decent soap/cream and brush and get good lather whether hard or soft water.

Yeah, I used a cheap wooden handled synthetic brush for many, many years, and I learned to get a good lather. Now, I can use about any brush, as long as it has hair, and still get a good lather. Some brushes take a lot more effort and some don't hold water and lather well, true. But, being aware of that, a good lather can still be gotten...at least in my opinion.

Someone has mentioned me the Weishi Razor Blade. I’m really thinking of getting a pre-shave, that might reduce my irritation.

I’m about to throw the towel on safety razors and getting the Gillette Skinguard. I thought it would be my aftershave that causes so I decided to skip it and only apply moisturizer instead and I get the same results. I saw the Henson and it’s a nice razor but it’s out of my budget. Either I go back to carts or wait for my sample to arrive and then go with a new razor.

I’m about to throw the towel on safety razors and getting the Gillette Skinguard. I thought it would be my aftershave that causes so I decided to skip it and only apply moisturizer instead and I get the same results. I saw the Henson and it’s a nice razor but it’s out of my budget. Either I go back to carts or wait for my sample to arrive and then go with a new razor.
Watch the Buy/sell/trade on this forum. Henson mild's pop up periodically at good prices. Also, go over to the Henson Razor Club and ask. A lot of those guys just bought the +++ and no longer want their + razors. Maggard's has discount coupons regularly, so watch for those.

I live too far away, I'm sure, or I'd let you borrow mine for a few days.

This morning I tried the Gillette 7’Oclock PermaSharp blades with my Merkur 23c and the end results were the same, stubble feel and beard shadow. Lather was pretty much decent and lathered on my wet face instead of lathering on a dry face.

So I’m assuming that the issue is most probably the razor.

So this morning I noticed that whatever I do I’ll always get the same results. I showed my shaved face to my sister and they go your face it’s fine and clean, you’re like daddy you have thick coarse beard.

I’m always going to see beard shadow around my chin and upper lip area. I tried Gillette Nacet blades. I did the mistake and applied pre-shave cream between my passes and it burned the **** out me!!

This is my result

Attachments

• 46BE7B24-1ED8-495F-A50C-0FD28B767DD4.jpeg
    46BE7B24-1ED8-495F-A50C-0FD28B767DD4.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom