What's new

Shaving question

I don’t know if it’s me, but I’ve tried everything, from watching Geofatboy on YouTube for tips and tricks. I shaved this morning with the grain, against the grain and across the grain. I applied aftershave, Serum and facial moisturizer afterwards. I still see beard shadow in my chin, neck and under my nose area and black spots. I feel like my face is on fire.

I don’t want to grow a beard as it’s not my thing anymore.

I don’t know what else to do!

I use;

Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush
Merkur 23C
Astra DE Razors
Proraso white
Nivea sensitive balm

I still see beard shadow in my chin, neck and under my nose area and black spots. I feel like my face is on fire.
Would you clarify what you mean by shadow?
If the areas are smooth to touch then you have achieved a close shave. You will see some shadow especially if you have dark or black hair as you can only cut the stubble down to skin level.
From what you say, it seems you have razor burn so perhaps work on your technique; the Merkur 23C will achieve a close daily shave in three passes. Astra SP are a good blade but it is worth getting a blade sampler to check out if other blades work better for you, eg Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, 7 O'Clock SharpEdge to name a few.

If you are getting razor burn, the cause is usually one or more of these things:
1) Applying too much pressure. Cartridge razors let you get away with excess pressure, but DEs generally won't. Use just enough pressure to keep the razor edge in contact with the skin.
2) Shaving without good lather, or if you keep going over a spot several times without lather, this may cause irritation.
3) Too many passes. Irritation adds up if you take too many passes over the same area of skin, even with lather.

Your equipment is pretty good. You probably need to adjust your technique, though. It takes some practice, but you will soon be able to shave without irritation.

Try going with just two passes for awhile. Go WTG and XTG. Later on, you can add another XTG in another direction. Once you have gotten to where you can shave without irritation, then you can try adding the ATG pass instead of a second XTG pass.

Just to follow-up, if you feel you are not getting a close enough shave, check your shaving angle. Cartridge razors usually pivot so they take care of getting the correct angle for you. With a DE, you have to set the angle of the blade to the skin manually as you shave. To find the angle, set the razor's guard on your skin, then tilt the handle up until you feel the blade edge on the skin, then tilt the handle up just a little more. You should have the angle in the right range to shave with.

People often try to compensate for not having the right angle by applying excess pressure so they can get a closer shave. This leads to irritation, so try to maintain your shaving angle and avoid excess pressure instead.

I could not get a good shave with Proaso White. Finding a soap that works for you is important as well as finding the correct angle and pressure. Your mileage will vary but to keep my face on fire I found Shark blades worked best for me and Stirling's mutton tallow soaps, mainly Electric Sheep. Once you find the correct blade with the correct angle and pressure matched with a lather it will be good.

The above stuff is also correct. It could be your face doesn't want 3 passes. Back off on the 3rd pass for a few shaves and go with the grain and across the grain. Leave the final against the grain out. It will show up with how fast the stubble appears but it may settle your face down. Rinse with cold water. Lots of little tricks to calm the face while you perfect the shaving process.

Don't give up.

KM

I too started by watching Geofatboy’s videos. One thing I had to learn is he shaves very fast in those videos. I noticed by shaving at that speed, I was inclined to apply pressure to keep the blade contact. Once I slowed down I can really apply no pressure other than the weight on the razor.

You can do this. Slow down, take a deep breath, and aim for shorter stokes with no pressure. Also, don’t go over a section without lather several times like with a cartridge razor. That is what the multiple passes are for.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I could not get a good shave with Proaso White. Finding a soap that works for you is important
Just curious. What about the Proraso white didn't work for you? I enjoy it but not nearly as much as my Arko, which is my go-to now.

Just curious. What about the Proraso white didn't work for you? I enjoy it but not nearly as much as my Arko, which is my go-to now.
My face feels raw after a shave with it. Not sure why but it would feel raw and looked razor burned.

KM

If the areas are smooth to touch then you have achieved a close shave. You will see some shadow especially if you have dark or black hair as you can only cut the stubble down to skin level.
From what you say, it seems you have razor burn so perhaps work on your technique; the Merkur 23C will achieve a close daily shave in three passes. Astra SP are a good blade but it is worth getting a blade sampler to check out if other blades work better for you, eg Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, 7 O'Clock SharpEdge to name a few.

036D03F4-1859-4ED4-BBF7-2C435A6DDB32.jpeg
F204ACD1-75DC-46C4-BDC5-D0FEEFAD2157.jpeg
43BDDA01-1D0A-45C9-B3C6-CAB836E4AE72.jpeg

Great advice above - I've only got one thing to add which might help you. Finding the right angle is crucial to minimising irritation and getting a great shave. You might find that locking your wrist once you find that angle will help you to maintain it.

Can you get a closer shave using a cartridge razor? If so, they may be your jam. I get really, really close shaves with both SRs and DEs. Sorry, I am not much help but some folks are destined to use carts for bbs shaves.

Can you get a closer shave using a cartridge razor? If so, they may be your jam. I get really, really close shaves with both SRs and DEs. Sorry, I am not much help but some folks are destined to use carts for bbs shaves.

I guess you did not have the shadow when you were using cartridge razors. Did any of the suggestions above seem helpful to you (worth trying)?

I’m not quite sure, I don’t remember if I saw any or not with cartridges

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The only thing to add to other folks advice is just use razor angle more effective. Your gear is reasonable and will perform for you when you get your razor dialed in better , I'm seeing your left over stubble on the chin area and sides also.
There is a few methods that are common and they work well for finding the angle quickly and over time it will more natural for you. We all go through a learning curve and I will leave some information that might be helpful.
Another thing I will mention you are always better off to have moist lather than pasty lather, if it looks dry add a few drops of water to the brush to get where is like creamy moist.
(all I do is tilt the razor until I hear the whiskers being chopped off and that is getting close to proper angle , if you like shave steep angle using the bar you just tilt the the razor from using the bar until you hear the whiskers being chopped off.)
Steep angle shaving works well for aggressive razors I have found. Riding the cap is also common like shown in picture.
blade-angle (2).jpg
Razor angle 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom